British Politics

Gracii Guns

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Apparently they’re gonna do over the statue of Baden Powell now.  I didn’t know he was a racist.  Come to that all I know about him was that he started the scouts.

Well he was probably a nonce then and hence we're well rid of him. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Apparently he met with Hitler to discuss closer relations between the scouts and the Hitler Youth.  Doesn't Stephen Fry play him, or a piss take thereof in a Black Adder?  Or The Thin Blue Line?  Perhaps he was just a dotty old cunt that was drawing towards the scouting and nothing more?  I think a more thorough investigation of this meeting and when and how it happened and what it entailed is probably called for before knocking his statue down because the rest of the accusations against him, spoke against homosexuality and masturbation, well fuck me, what public figure of that era came out in support of those? 

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

See, he was just an off his tits eccentric, I can see him wandering into a meeting with Hitler in the 1930s not knowing fuck all about the dark side of em :lol:

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh this is the Right? Wish the cops wouldve responded accordingly, then.

Also, what is this cenotaph everyone over there is on about all the time lately?

A war memorial, or rather peace memorial I think. I have no idea why parts of the BLM movement wants to vandalise it. I don't see the connection. Maybe it is just thought of as a symbol over British colonialism? Still, that is with some degrees of separation while it is directly and closely held dear, I assume, to all Brits who have fought and lost in their wars and conflicts. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

A war memorial, or rather peace memorial I think. I have no idea why parts of the BLM movement wants to vandalise it. I don't see the connection. Maybe it is just thought of as a symbol over British colonialism? Still, that is with some degrees of separation while it is directly and closely held dear, I assume, to all Brits who have fought and lost in their wars and conflicts. 

Thanks for filling me in. I remember it from a Pink Floyd song now, lol.

Yeah, stuff like that is complex. Because it is, in part, a memorial to the racist colonial and imperial expeditions which still leave immense misery and destruction in their wake. But its also a memorial to the those who sacrificed their lives and limbs fighting fascism. Not to mention the class implications, and the constrained choices leading towards enrolment, of many soldiers.

But to me all that could be explored about the complexity is actually secondary to the idea that people are willing to get their heads kicked in and/or careers ruined over symbolism. Fucking symbolism, really?? Smh

Defending it, when it can easily be cleaned of graffiti, is still far dumber than attacking it imo. But strategically theres really not much meat on the bone to attacking it (unless its a cleaver rouse to get Right wingers arrested and into the system).

There have been gatherings like that all over the UK to defend memorials and statues. I don’t get it personally, to me it just looks like a bunch of hooligans looking for a fight. I bet most of them don’t even know what they’re defending.

I thought it was great when the people pulled down the Colston statue and jumped all over him, then rolled him into the river. I don’t know how anyone can watch it and think it’s vandalism. 

The UK doesn’t want to face its colonial past - when I was at school the history of the British Empire was taught like it was all good for everyone and a massive achievement. 

• Like 1

The cenataph is a war memorial remembering those who died in both world wars. The monarchy and political Leaders gather round it once a year to pay respects.  It was graffitied with ACAB last week, and someone tried to burn the flag. Some soldiers in civilian clothing went to clean it off the next day and were given all sorts of abuse. This ignited alot of anger in the veteran community, who have lost friends In various conflicts. So they made a stand to defend it as it continued to be graffitied, they don't want drawn into a political/racial debate thats essentially started in America. The veterans protested peacefully at the cenataph without trouble.

The "football fans"... Err Britain first/EDL, far right were counter protesting in parliament Square at the Churchill memorial. They were wanting a fight but never got one as the BLM protest was in Hyde park. They got a bit loud with the police and then went to Hyde park looking for a fight to find a few people having a picnic.

Now we're all offended at statues that for decades no one's giving a shit about. 

Oh and everyone probably has Corona virus

11 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks for filling me in. I remember it from a Pink Floyd song now, lol.

Yeah, stuff like that is complex. Because it is, in part, a memorial to the racist colonial and imperial expeditions which still leave immense misery and destruction in their wake. But its also a memorial to the those who sacrificed their lives and limbs fighting fascism. Not to mention the class implications, and the constrained choices leading towards enrolment, of many soldiers.

But to me all that could be explored about the complexity is actually secondary to the idea that people are willing to get their heads kicked in and/or careers ruined over symbolism. Fucking symbolism, really?? Smh

Defending it, when it can easily be cleaned of graffiti, is still far dumber than attacking it imo. But strategically theres really not much meat on the bone to attacking it (unless its a cleaver rouse to get Right wingers arrested and into the system).

I agree. The problem is that people can attribute any meaning they want to these monuments regardless of what the person who erected it meant it it mean. They might have meant it to mean a tribute to people who died in wars but concepts, meanings and ideas flow into people's brains in different ways so what's sacred to some is an insult to others. 

The cenotaph is in actual fact a lump of concrete. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:08 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

There have been gatherings like that all over the UK to defend memorials and statues. I don’t get it personally, to me it just looks like a bunch of hooligans looking for a fight. I bet most of them don’t even know what they’re defending.

I thought it was great when the people pulled down the Colston statue and jumped all over him, then rolled him into the river. I don’t know how anyone can watch it and think it’s vandalism. 

The UK doesn’t want to face its colonial past - when I was at school the history of the British Empire was taught like it was all good for everyone and a massive achievement. 

That doesn't ring true to me. That may be true in Japan where they literally couldn't give two shits about apologizing for their empire days. But even American students get a view of the British Empire as an achievement but one that was more on the evil side.

On 13/06/2020 at 10:08 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It was though. Until the slave business dried up.

6 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The product of British's education system.

She's a leading London activist and local police advisory committee member.

Yeah, us "British's" should really be ashamed of our education system. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1