British Politics

Gracii Guns

10 minutes ago, soon said:

76, sheesh. I cant imagine how long it will take us to remove all 76 of them.

(We actually call that the "National War Memorial" though, plinker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_War_Memorial_(Canada))

The main archway is literally a cenotaph, although you are correct about the nomenclature.

Are you really that flippant and sacrilegious about the Canadian servicemen and women who fought against the Kaiser and Hitler?

PS

Although you're a wokeish fascist so no need to answer that.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The main archway is literally a cenotaph, although you are correct about the nomenclature.

So wait, y'all call one of your many monuments "The Cenotaph" even though that term simply describes a design feature shared by many monuments? Rather daft, isnt it?

1 minute ago, soon said:

So wait, y'all call one of your many monuments "The Cenotaph" even though that term simply describes a design feature shared by many monuments? Rather daft, isnt it?

Probably because the one built at Whitehall was the prototype for the ones built throughout the world following the 1914-18 war, although there is one in Belfast (Northern Ireland), Wellington and Dunedin (New Zealand) that are also called Cenotaphs. Your National War Memorial includes your Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (the tomb in front), making it more than a simple cenotaph hence the name. Our Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is located in Westminster Abbey. 

Cenotaph means literally ''empty tomb''. 

Bit of trivia. Technically Washington's Capital is a cenotaph as it was originally built to house the tomb of George Washington. This did not transpire for various mundane reasons, making The Capital technically a cenotaph.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Probably because the one built at Whitehall was the prototype for the ones built throughout the world following the 1914-18 war, although there is one in Belfast (Northern Ireland), Wellington and Dunedin (New Zealand) that are also called Cenotaphs. Your National War Memorial includes your Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (the tomb in front), making it more than a simple cenotaph hence the name. Our Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is located in Westminster Abbey. 

Cenotaph means literally ''empty tomb''. 

Bit of trivia. Technically Washington's Capital is a cenotaph as it was originally built to house the tomb of George Washington. This did not transpire for various mundane reasons, making The Capital technically a cenotaph.

You anticipated that I would know the National War Memorial and the other 75 memorials by the name "The Cenotaph." Thats how this started, when you called me a mean name for not knowing that we had 76 The Cenotaph(s).

I see youve been enjoying a bit of wikipedia since then. :lol:

4 minutes ago, soon said:

You anticipated that I would know the National War Memorial and the other 75 memorials by the name "The Cenotaph." Thats how this started, when you called me a mean name for not knowing that we had 76 The Cenotaph(s).

I see youve been enjoying a bit of wikipedia since then. :lol:

Yes, but I knew cenotaphs were prevalent in Canada before consulting wikipedia. Indeed, they were built throughout the commonwealth after 1914-18. 

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Say what you will about @DieselDaisy but he knows his history and wotnot without having to resort to wikipedia generally. 

I didnt say anything about him. He quoted me from a month ago, talked complete nonsense and called me a "fascist." He then just now acknowledged that he's been on wiki. So its a good thing you've come to his defence. Totally nailed it. :lol:

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you really that flippant and sacrilegious about the Canadian servicemen and women who fought against the Kaiser and Hitler?

PS

Although you're a wokeish fascist so no need to answer that.

You can read back in the thread to correct your error here.

4 minutes ago, soon said:

I didnt say anything about him. He quoted me from a month ago, talked complete nonsense and called me a "fascist." He then just now acknowledged that he's been on wiki. So its a good thing you've come to his defence. Totally nailed it. :lol:

If I may I'd like to go on record that I don't consider you a fascist. :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, soon said:

You can read back in the thread to correct your error here.

Well you did say you wanted to destroy 76 memorials to your servicemen! Generally that is what fascists do, destroy things, eradicate history, censor, burn books. But perhaps you were being facetious in which case, my apologies. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you did say you wanted to destroy 76 memorials to your servicemen! Generally that is what fascists do, destroy things, eradicate history, censor, burn books. But perhaps you were being facetious in which case, my apologies. 

Was being facetious. And I triggered you good :lol: But Ive posted my actual thoughts on it right after the month-old-post you initiated this exchange with. So you can find it if interested.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Generally that is what fascists do, destroy things, eradicate history

Sounds like what many of our present day governments do and/or did. Thats Imperialism and Colonialism for you.

59 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Say what you will about @DieselDaisy but he knows his history and wotnot without having to resort to wikipedia generally. 

I am not very good with history - well I'll offer the type of book title which predominates: Race, Identity and Gender in a Post-Colonial Society: Lessons on Strategic Racial Awareness in a Gender Affirming Environment (I just made that up). Don't mistake me here: I have had to delve into this for my degree but...yack. 1960s campus leftish rubbish - woke before woke existed. Give me a Tudor and a good battle any day. Bit of hanky panky at Hampton, few wives' heads lopped-off at The Tower, then whipping the frogs and back in time for a meal of roasted pheasant and yer olde ale.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I am not very good with history - well I'll offer the type of book title which predominates: Race, Identity and Gender in a Post-Colonial Society: Lessons on Strategic Racial Awareness in a Gender Affirming Environment (I just made that up). Don't mistake me here: I have had to delve into this for my degree but...yack. 1960s campus leftish rubbish - woke before woke existed. Give me a Tudor and a good battle any day. Bit of hanky panky at Hampton, few wives' heads lopped-off at The Tower, then whipping the frogs and back in time for a meal of roasted pheasant and yer olde ale.

Eerily close to an actual title for one of these word salad volumes!

So yesterday Chris Grayling somehow lost a contest that was rigged for him to win it... head of the parliamentary intel committee.

So today with the Russia report looming (and accusations of senior Tories taking money from Russians for influence), the conservatives have responded by basically trying to say Russia tried to help Corbyn win the election in 2019 to prevent Brexit.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

EdFGNWRXkAA_mZy?format=jpg&name=small

On a serious note though. Assuming she is allowed back into the UK to argue her case against deportation what would happen if she loses? Bangladesh have said they won’t have her and we can’t just ditch her in any other random country so would she win the right to stay in the UK by default?

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

On a serious note though. Assuming she is allowed back into the UK to argue her case against deportation what would happen if she loses? Bangladesh have said they won’t have her and we can’t just ditch her in any other random country so would she win the right to stay in the UK by default?

If her case against drportation failed she would presumably apply for refugee status so she initially becomes an asylum seeker while this is decided. As an asylum seeker the Home Office provides accomodation and a small amount to live on until a descision was made to grant her refugee status which would be based on whether the country she has left is safe to return to. If she wasnt granted refugee status she would be pretty fucked as would have no recourse to public and would be served notice to leave the HO accomodation within 56 days and wouldn't be able to claim u/c including what used to be housing benefit. 

So would have a right to appeal that decision but if that failed and the country she fled from won't take her back the Home Office would have to take that up with them but if she left voluntarily and they didn't deport her I can't see they would have a leg to stand on. Or she could go underground and make someone an excellent house keeper at very reasonable rates 😄

Edited by spunko12345

On 17/07/2020 at 4:40 AM, spunko12345 said:

If her case against drportation failed she would presumably apply for refugee status so she initially becomes an asylum seeker while this is decided. As an asylum seeker the Home Office provides accomodation and a small amount to live on 

Which as everybody in my Uncle Ray's house knows means they get a 17 bedroom house and several million pounds a year in benefits because of Yoorup and the yooman rights. :lol: