British Politics

Gracii Guns

The people here care about investment in their infrastructure, welfare and jobs, not KHDSUDG tranny rights and having their ancestors called ''slave traders'' by Islington Marxists. Regeneration of our transport links will make us 15 mins from Newcastle Central Station. This will almost certainly have a knock-on effect for the entire area: people can actually commute and live in towns like Blyth, Ashington, Bedlington etc., rather than ditching them, leaving them as ghost towns, for Newcastle or London. New rail infrastructure will bring jobs and investment. Businesses may even wish to locate themselves here?

(It also means I can be in Chester-le in the hour for the cricket).

Don't get me wrong: I am still cynical myself. It may become bogged down in the usual red tape, running over budget. But it does seem it is happening from what I've heard. We have had Labour forever basically, yet within seven months of being a Tory constituency it seems to be happening. That is a remarkable turn around by anyone's estimation. 

Why didn't Blair do it when he had those massive majorities? Staunch Labour area: throw your staunch supporters a bone?

If Boris pulls it off, well done to the old boy (and Clarence Boddicker, my local MP).

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 23/07/2020 at 6:27 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Although being highly critical of their corona handling and other things, I have to hand it to the Tories. They have held my constituency for seven months, after a century of Labour mismanagement and post-industrial decline, and we are already seeing real investment including the reinstalling of the Northumberland train connection with Newcastle (axed in the Beeching Cuts of the '60s). There have been rumblings for years yet, despite Blair's big majorities, nothing! Zilch! Yet within months of a Tory takeover, the proposal is implemented! 

This will materially affect my life and others for the better - I can be in Newcastle Central Station via public transport within fifteen minutes rather than one hour thirty minutes! - and have a knock-on affect on urban regeneration. This means more to me than tranny rights, antisemitism, ethnic people and the godawful European Union - which is all Labour are interested in these days. Well done to Boris if he pulls it off. 

Maggie said a man over the age of 25 who uses public transport can consider himself a failure. Learn to drive you fucking layabouts. Let the trannys have the cash.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't impress me as the old ones but maybe that is just nostalgia,

_113819215_borisjohnsonpuppet2pamedia.jp

_113819220_cummingspuppetpamedia.jpg

_113819558_princeandrewpuppetpamedia.jpg

Think the Cummings one is the best of the lot.

I think it's going to be shite. How do you parody something that's already beyond parody for real?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

It used to be proper puppets like Punch and Judy when I was a kid. I liked the Kinnock and Major characters.Major was all grey and Kinnock was a burgular trying to break into number 10 😄

Thing is that they were all pretty serious characters which meant it was funny to see them made to look ridiculous. How do you make Boris look any more silly than in real life? 

4 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Spitting image is coming back on Britbox great little service for £5.99 a month.

all the only fools on it!

If it’s coming back in my house it’ll be on Piratebay. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Thing is that they were all pretty serious characters which meant it was funny to see them made to look ridiculous. How do you make Boris look any more silly than in real life? 

Same way they made Major more dull during the original series (although he had the last laugh as it transpired he was rogering Edwina Currie all the time): grey and eating peas for tea. That is satire.

PS

The puppets were truly spectacular though, brilliant examples of English grotesque caricature in the best tradition of James Gilllray, Hogarth and Cruikshank - I saw a Thatcher one in the Imperial War Museum last year. And then you had that generation of impersonating talent, Bremner, Culshaw, Cornwell, Sessions, who all started out on there. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Same way they made Major more dull during the original series (although he had the last laugh as it transpired he was rogering Edwina Currie all the time): grey and eating peas for tea. That is satire.

PS

The puppets were truly spectacular though, brilliant examples of English grotesque caricature in the best tradition of James Gilllray, Hogarth and Cruikshank - I saw a Thatcher one in the Imperial War Museum last year. And then you had that generation of impersonating talent, Bremner, Culshaw, Cornwell, Sessions, who all started out on there. 

Maybe I'm just being an old bastard but I think we just had a much better bunch of politicians back then for the purposes of satire. Yes Major was made to be boring but they always hinted that he was a dirty old bastard underneath it all. I was watching one of those retrospective shows about it a while ago and Edwina Curry was being interviewed saying she used to laugh about how close they actually were to the truth.

Can you imagine how they parody Shagger Johnson and Cummings? I mean it's just not going to be possible. :lol: Personally I actually thought it started to go down hill with Major anyway. Once Thatcher, Tebbit et al were out of the picture it just wasn't as good.

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Maybe I'm just being an old bastard but I think we just had a much better bunch of politicians back then for the purposes of satire. Yes Major was made to be boring but they always hinted that he was a dirty old bastard underneath it all. I was watching one of those retrospective shows about it a while ago and Edwina Curry was being interviewed saying she used to laugh about how close they actually were to the truth.

Can you imagine how they parody Shagger Johnson and Cummings? I mean it's just not going to be possible. :lol: Personally I actually thought it started to go down hill with Major anyway. Once Thatcher, Tebbit et al were out of the picture it just wasn't as good.

If the old Spitting Image did it, I could see them making Boris unbelievably Pickwickean and making Boris like sounds (bububu), and Cummings this Mephistophelean or Iago character, which judging by his digital puppet seems to be the direction they're going with him. Andrew writes itself. This will be utter shite though without proper puppets.

Remember Schwarzenegger being embarrassed over his tiny todger and over-compensating?