Gracii Guns

British Politics

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Should be better''? It destroyed our entire fishing industry, and Scotland was particularly hurt here which is just one of many reasons why Scottish support for the centrist anti-national EU project is thoroughly perplexing. Out of the EU we can fish in our own territorial waters unmolested by quotas, and we can send the Spanish fishermen packing. Totally disagree about Greece - I actually agree with Corbyn, the EU reaction being indeed ''brutal''.

Ok you don't want Spain or other countries to fish in British waters. The problem is that British fishing industry won't be allowed to fish in other country's waters around Europe. So the fishery industry will struggle anyway.

The Greeks fucked it up during the 2008 crisis. And they needed to be rescued by the EU. And they needed to make changes, including austerity. the EU went brutal on them because their crisis was brutal. And someone like Varoufakis (whatever the spell is) is far from being any Stateman nor any genious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Ok you don't want Spain or other countries to fish in British waters. The problem is that British fishing industry won't be allowed to fish in other country's waters around Europe. So the fishery industry will struggle anyway.

The Greeks fucked it up during the 2008 crisis. And they needed to be rescued by the EU. And they needed to make changes, including austerity. the EU went brutal on them because their crisis was brutal. And someone like Varoufakis (whatever the spell is) is far from being any Stateman nor any genious.

The fishing industry that has been destroyed by the European Union is predominantly an industry of small vessels which would farm solely in British waters. It is interesting to see how leftism is basically something people pick and choose. Pro-EU leftisim is a leftism of globe-trotting London based middle class university ''gap year'' millennial types with next to nothing in common with a bona fide British working class socio-economic group have have been utterly destroyed by the EU. I actually completely disagree with the suggestion that somehow the British have been hoodwinked by (the leave campaign's) 'lies'; the EU has always been despised by great segments of Britain since we joined in the '70s - arguably before, when De Gaulle vetoed Britain's original entry bid. The British did not need a Boris or a Farage or the NHS thing - lies or otherwise. Enough of them already hated the EU to begin with.

You know what else pisses me off about the EU? The appropriation of Beethoven's 9th as an anthem. For all we know Beethoven, a composer disgusted with Napoleon's European project, would have loathed the EU; after all, most German liberals desired an unified 'Germany', repudiating pan-European classicism in favour of a national re-awaking of the 'volk'. The vernacular tradition was the dominant theme of 19th century German liberalism. We also know that Beethoven hated small-minded bureaucrats and petty rules and regulations. We simply do not know that Beethoven would have supported a EU, yet the Brussels bureaucrats have stolen his 9th as their anthem which implies a Beethovenean endorsement. Complete and utter wankers.

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The fishing industry that has been destroyed by the European Union is predominantly an industry of small vessels which would farm solely in British waters. It is interesting to see how leftism is basically something people pick and choose. Pro-EU leftisim is a leftism of globe-trotting London based middle class university ''gap year'' millennial types with next to nothing in common with a bona fide British working class socio-economic group have have been utterly destroyed by the EU. I actually completely disagree with the suggestion that somehow the British have been hoodwinked by (the leave campaign's) 'lies'; the EU has always been despised by great segments of Britain since we joined in the '70s - arguably before, when De Gaulle vetoed Britain's original entry bid. The British did not need a Boris or a Farage or the NHS thing - lies or otherwise. Enough of them already hated the EU to begin with.

You know what else pisses me off about the EU? The appropriation of Beethoven's 9th as an anthem. For all we know Beethoven, a composer disgusted with Napoleon's European project, would have loathed the EU; after all, most German liberals desired an unified 'Germany', repudiating pan-European classicism in favour of a national re-awaking of the 'volk'. The vernacular tradition was the dominant theme of 19th century German liberalism. We also know that Beethoven hated small-minded bureaucrats and petty rules and regulations. We simply do not know that Beethoven would have supported a EU, yet the Brussels bureaucrats have stolen his 9th as their anthem which implies a Beethovenean endorsement. Complete and utter wankers.

Well, to paraphrase Snoop, he a dead m'fucka now so aint nobody askin' :lol:

50 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well, to paraphrase Snoop, he a dead m'fucka now so aint nobody askin' :lol:

Yes but would you want some cunt of an organisation appropriating your work posthumously as an anthem?

• Like 1

Diesel you really do comes across as one of those angry pensioners on question time that the BBC scours social media in the local area each week to get them on the show (thus misleading viewers into thinking that's what the town is actually like).

The desire to imagine and use what someone almost 300 years ago might have thought says it all. 

You're the stereotypical English grand dad (mentally if not actually) that didn't live through the 2nd world war, in a nut shell. It's not about facts/statistics or what politicians do or say, it's about "you feel". 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Diesel you really do comes across as one of those angry pensioners on question time that the BBC scours social media in the local area each week to get them on the show (thus misleading viewers into thinking that's what the town is actually like).

The desire to imagine and use what someone almost 300 years ago might have thought says it all. 

You're the stereotypical English grand dad (mentally if not actually) that didn't live through the 2nd world war, in a nut shell. It's not about facts/statistics or what politicians do or say, it's about "you feel". 

You said it!

At an absolute minimum we do not know what Ludwig Van Beethoven would've thought about the European Union, thus the European Union should not be using a tinpot version of his masterpiece for their anthem.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

In the universal language of music, this anthem expresses the European ideals of freedom, peace and solidarity.

I do not see where in Beethoven's Ode to Joy sequence there are lyrics pertaining to those other great ideals cherished dearly by the EU, of corruption, sleaze, bloated bureaucracy and shafting the poor, but regardless...

How is this speech/ramble from Boris supposed to appeal to the country?

It's a right wing flub for the Daily Express and Tory party members.

What an unlikeable shit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

How is this speech/ramble from Boris supposed to appeal to the country?

It's a right wing flub for the Daily Express and Tory party members.

What an unlikeable shit.

He was good on Have I Got News For You back in the day :lol:

Not exactly British Politics but since The Daily Mail get a good ol' shagging in this thread (if my memory serves me correctly) I thought I'd stick this in here.  The following is an article about a boxing match between Chris Eubank Jnr and a Turkish fella by the name of Avni Yildrim in Stuttgart.  Avni is from Stuttgart so, as you might expect, a lot of Turkish lads are showing up in support, check out the article begins:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-4956544/Chris-Eubank-Jr-fiery-weigh-Anvi-Yildrim.html

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s contentious open-doors immigration policy has assembled the most hostile opposition Chris Eubank Jr will have to overcome as he defends his IBO world super-middleweight belt in Stuttgart this Saturday night.

:lol:

Why the fuck are they talking about Angela Merkels immigration policy in an article about boxing?!?  'Turkish tearaway Avni Yildrim'....uh, whys he a tearaway, last time I checked he was a professional sportsman!