British Politics

Gracii Guns

Diesel you really do comes across as one of those angry pensioners on question time that the BBC scours social media in the local area each week to get them on the show (thus misleading viewers into thinking that's what the town is actually like).

The desire to imagine and use what someone almost 300 years ago might have thought says it all. 

You're the stereotypical English grand dad (mentally if not actually) that didn't live through the 2nd world war, in a nut shell. It's not about facts/statistics or what politicians do or say, it's about "you feel". 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Diesel you really do comes across as one of those angry pensioners on question time that the BBC scours social media in the local area each week to get them on the show (thus misleading viewers into thinking that's what the town is actually like).

The desire to imagine and use what someone almost 300 years ago might have thought says it all. 

You're the stereotypical English grand dad (mentally if not actually) that didn't live through the 2nd world war, in a nut shell. It's not about facts/statistics or what politicians do or say, it's about "you feel". 

You said it!

At an absolute minimum we do not know what Ludwig Van Beethoven would've thought about the European Union, thus the European Union should not be using a tinpot version of his masterpiece for their anthem.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

In the universal language of music, this anthem expresses the European ideals of freedom, peace and solidarity.

I do not see where in Beethoven's Ode to Joy sequence there are lyrics pertaining to those other great ideals cherished dearly by the EU, of corruption, sleaze, bloated bureaucracy and shafting the poor, but regardless...

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly British Politics but since The Daily Mail get a good ol' shagging in this thread (if my memory serves me correctly) I thought I'd stick this in here.  The following is an article about a boxing match between Chris Eubank Jnr and a Turkish fella by the name of Avni Yildrim in Stuttgart.  Avni is from Stuttgart so, as you might expect, a lot of Turkish lads are showing up in support, check out the article begins:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-4956544/Chris-Eubank-Jr-fiery-weigh-Anvi-Yildrim.html

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s contentious open-doors immigration policy has assembled the most hostile opposition Chris Eubank Jr will have to overcome as he defends his IBO world super-middleweight belt in Stuttgart this Saturday night.

:lol:

Why the fuck are they talking about Angela Merkels immigration policy in an article about boxing?!?  'Turkish tearaway Avni Yildrim'....uh, whys he a tearaway, last time I checked he was a professional sportsman!

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know why I watch the news as it is so depressing. Just announced today, Londoners have to pay a tenner per day to drive into the city if they have an old banger. If I contract a 'superbug' I cannot get an antibiotic (luckily my mother nicks them from work for our family). Speaking of doctors, Doctor Who is now a bird. And to top it all off they are introducing minimum pricing on booze making it harder to blot out the shittiness of the entire country.

PS

Oh yes, the cricket administrators are buggering cricket up the arse, e.g., T20 stupidity, 'four-day tests', nightime pink bowl tests and a whole plethora of moronic innovations. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know why I watch the news as it is so depressing. Just announced today, Londoners have to pay a tenner per day to drive into the city if they have an old banger. If I contract a 'superbug' I cannot get an antibiotic (luckily my mother nicks them from work for our family). Speaking of doctors, Doctor Who is now a bird. And to top it all off they are introducing minimum pricing on booze making it harder to blot out the shittiness of the entire country.

PS

Oh yes, the cricket administrators are buggering cricket up the arse, e.g., T20 stupidity, 'four-day tests', nightime pink bowl tests and a whole plethora of moronic innovations. 

I don't watch the news at all.  Whats the fuckin' point?  Look at it this way, all the fuckin' years you've lived on this earth, what good has any of it done you?  I mean in terms of direct tangible difference being made to your day to day life.  Fuck all innit?  I don't catch it on the radio as i do all my music listening off of stuff i like as opposed to catching music on the radio, up for work at 7:30, done at 6pm and I'm buggered if, after that day, i wanna fuckin' be watching the fuckin' news. 

35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't watch the news at all.  Whats the fuckin' point?  Look at it this way, all the fuckin' years you've lived on this earth, what good has any of it done you?  I mean in terms of direct tangible difference being made to your day to day life.  Fuck all innit?  I don't catch it on the radio as i do all my music listening off of stuff i like as opposed to catching music on the radio, up for work at 7:30, done at 6pm and I'm buggered if, after that day, i wanna fuckin' be watching the fuckin' news. 

I think I'll follow that advice.

Everything seems crapper than before. When I grew up you could watch sport - boxing even - on terrestrial, smoke in a pub (I do not even smoke but found this legislation thoroughly draconian), drink a pint for £1.30, watch proper cricket. There was no 'elf n' safety or diversity people prying into your life and telling you ''what to do and eat and how to think''. You could bring a hand gun on a flight. Life was much cheaper: I grew up during the Yuppies age and yet do not remember life being so obsessed with money (you could still buy a house for instance and used cash and not credit cards and there were none of these loan companies around). You bought concert tickets at a kiosk and the whole process was not complicated in the slightest (seating or standing?). You did not require a mobile phone to wipe your arse. Children were less spoilt. Television was better.

Music was still a bit naff but at least there was Neil Young's Freedom and GN'R's Appetite and one or two other things - rolling on into the 1990s where it perked up further. Sport was probably better; yes, I'd take Gower, Gooch, Tyson, Ian Rush and Peter Beardsley (used to love him) over the current crop of preening millionaires. Films were better but there were some Hollywood crap but at least stuff like Indiana Jones built their own effects.

Everything is crapper than before.

Bahh, when I was a child I got an apple and a smacked arse. During the war I....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think I'll follow that advice.

Everything seems crapper than before. When I grew up you could watch sport - boxing even - on terrestrial, smoke in a pub (I do not even smoke but found this legislation thoroughly draconian), drink a pint for £1.30, watch proper cricket. There was no 'elf n' safety or diversity people prying into your life and telling you ''what to do and eat and how to think''. You could bring a hand gun on a flight. Life was much cheaper: I grew up during the Yuppies age and yet do not remember life being so obsessed with money (you could still buy a house for instance and used cash and not credit cards and there were none of these loan companies around). You bought concert tickets at a kiosk and the whole process was not complicated in the slightest (seating or standing?). You did not require a mobile phone to wipe your arse. Children were less spoilt. Television was better.

Music was still a bit naff but at least there was Neil Young's Freedom and GN'R's Appetite and one or two other things - rolling on into the 1990s where it perked up further. Sport was probably better; yes, I'd take Gower, Gooch, Tyson, Ian Rush and Peter Beardsley (used to love him) over the current crop of preening millionaires. Films were better but there were some Hollywood crap but at least stuff like Indiana Jones built their own effects.

Everything is crapper than before.

Bahh, when I was a child I got an apple and a smacked arse. During the war I....

Like Alf Garnett said 'i have served (as a citizen of her majesty realm) under 14 prime ministers...AND I BEEN BLOODY POOR UNDER EVERY ONE OF EM! :lol:  He makes a good point, doesn't he? :lol:  What difference do they make to your life?  I've 'served', having been born in 83, under Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and now Theresa May...has their been any fuckin' difference in my living standard or day to day life as a result?  Has there fuck.

They're makin' a fuckin' joke out of this country, all this Brexit fuckin' bollocks, I caught some headline on google or something, in passing, didn't read it but it was something like some fuckin' Euro ponce, Juncker i think but don't hold me to that, talking about Theresa May begging him or something.  They fuckin' vote in this Brexit thing and we're just watching a bunch of dithering fuckin' politicians tryna make a deal that they wish they didn't have to, it's a fuckin' charade.  Why fuckin' subject yourself to that shit, you're better off reading a book or watching a film, entertain yourself, learn something, fuck all  that other bollocks.

Edited by Len Cnut

Jeez.

I watch news because I like to be informed about what happens in the world, it basically interests me, and because occasionally news stories affect my life, directly or indirectly. Here are stories from my local newspaper Adresseavisen today that I will read and why:

- An article about a dangerous narcotics that is spreading in my city. Because I have kids that will soon be exposed to drugs. A car accident not far away from my house. Because I want to know if it happened due to icy road, because I only changed three of the tires on our car to winter tires before leaving on a trip and want to know what conditions my wife will have to drive under. An article about a very odd-looking coastal cabin. Hell if I know, maybe because one of my best friends is a cabin architect. An article about the downtown shop that performed the best last year. Because inner city development interests me, I suppose. I plan to live in this city for the rest of my life and I find it interesting whether the inner city will be devoid of shops -- as the ongoing trend suggests -- and just become a place for restaurants and bars, or whether it will pick up again. An article about a lady who has changed a high-profile job only a year after starting in it. I have no idea. An article about a bronze age grave field that was revelead during work construction. Because I am interested in archaeology and history, especially when it is local. An article about a local train bridge from 1884. Again, it interests me.

And I can go on, haven't even come to the sports section yet.

And I read national newspapers every day. Here's from today's issue of Aftenposten:

- A quiz about airports around the world. Because I like to think I can score quite high on that quiz. An article about the higher incidents of skin cancer. Because it is tangential to my professional work and because I am a father. An article about developments in Afghanistan. Because it interests me. An article about road development in southern Norway. Because I drive that road whenever I drive to visit my parents, and I am curious about how they will improve it. An article about the ecosystem of living creatures that inhabit the fur of the slouch. Because I love biology and animals. An analysis of Theresa May's situation. Because I am interested in current events that might affect Norway down the line. An article about the escalating insect mass deaths. Because it interests me and could have huge effect on the lives of my kids and their kids.

And so on. I probably spend 1-2 hours every day reading newspapers. I find that being informed helps me make better decisions, makes me a more interesting person, a better father, helps my career, and gives me pleasure.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

The news is just a fuckin' racket anyway.  Its all presented to you in order of the financial interests of money-men.

I think there might be a big difference in newspapers between countries. I haven't really read any UK papers so can't say, but Norwegian papers are mostly good and with a large diversity of articles. Very little tabloid. Quite balanced. Otherwise I wouldn't have read them, either. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think there might be a big difference in newspapers between countries. I haven't really read any UK papers so can't say, but Norwegian papers are mostly good and with a large diversity of articles. Very little tabloid. Quite balanced. Otherwise I wouldn't have read them, either. 

We're fuckin' world reknowned for fuckin' shitbag tabloids or broadsheets with heavy political bias and pandering.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did Soul just say he is interested in Theresa May? She is my prime minister and I'm not interested in Theresa May. 

Only in the light of Brexit and the EU.

Every morning the kids and I eat breakfast together. I read the newspaper and we talk about what is happening in the world. I try to find stories that might interest them, that might illuminate something they have learnt in school/kindergarden or something we have recently talked about, or just show them pictures of royalty (princesses are a hit with my youngest) or other famous people, or animals or cities in countries they might have heard of, then they want me to turn to the last page to see the weather forecast. It is all very nice.

53 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Every morning the kids and I eat breakfast together. I read the newspaper and we talk about what is happening in the world. I try to find stories that might interest them, that might illuminate something they have learnt in school/kindergarden or something we have recently talked about, or just show them pictures of royalty (princesses are a hit with my youngest) or other famous people, or animals or cities in countries they might have heard of, then they want me to turn to the last page to see the weather forecast. It is all very nice.

I do not think this would happen in Britain somehow haha.  Most British families do not even sit at the table these days, and assuming they do, I cannot imagine newspapers diverting children's attention spans from their mobile phone devices while they eat their sugery cereals. Father would also be saying, ''shut up you little bastards - I'm trying to read the footy scores''. 

59 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't get the appeal of royalty. They're like our version of the Kardashians only with slightly less full frontal nudity and venereal diseases. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not think this would happen in Britain somehow haha.  Most British families do not even sit at the table these days, and assuming they do, I cannot imagine newspapers diverting children's attention spans from their mobile phone devices while they eat their sugery cereals. Father would also be saying, ''shut up you little bastards - I'm trying to read the footy scores''. 

VAeA885.jpg