Use your illusion tour vs. not in this lifetime tour

From those of you who were actually around during the uyi days, how does the current tour stack up? I know they're not currently promoting the release of 2 albums, but it does seem like there has been a pretty big buzz about it. I'm mainly curious what you think about the general buzz and attendance. Obviously we know the differences with the performances, they were 25 years younger back then. Just curious your thoughts. 

I talked to two people the other day who love GnR and didn't even know Slash and Duff are back and touring again. I would like to think those two were an exception, but still... as long as they don't have new music coming out, this tour can't compare.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

What others said, UYI was a tour to promote two massive albums, this one is kinda in promotion of...their paychecks? Still pretty cool they actually reunited but yeah, the main difference is motive.

Ultimately, money was the motive in both instances.

• Like 3

It is hard to compare because for the Illusions that was the height of their popularity, they were not a legendary classic rock band at that point, they were a hugely popular band of the time. For this recent tour it is also special because a lot of people like me who were not around for that can finally have that special moment of seeing Slash, Axl and Duff on stage together playing the music we love and hold dear.

• Like 1

The Use Your Illusion tour was going on when I first got into the band. Nearly got to see them at Milton Keynes, but my mum wouldn't allow it and as I was 13, I didn't get much of a say in the matter. They are the band that made me want to start writing songs when I got into them and the UYI tour and era will always be first place with me as IMO it was so good because it was about to explode. They managed to bottle the lightening for that tour and the end of it was really the end of my favourite band. This tour is cool but not anything close to the 90s run; it has a phoned in quality and is about as dangerous as a ham sandwich.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, liqddynamite said:

Correct.  People need to realize that back then artists made their money from album sales and the tour was a means to sell albums.  Today, its basically the other way around.  

one of the motives that I think they (Axl) is not interested to release new music, today tours sell a lot more than the albums, the albums are for fans that like the new stuff from the bands...

Although I was very young at that time, I went to 2 Illusions concerts in December 1992. Apart from differences like context and "what for..", there are many similarities between these two tours...Criticism about the lineup, about Axl´s voice and that cash grab thing, as today, also existed at that time... and exactly how it is happening in the current tour, people still filled stadiums to see them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

It doesn't compare at all because this ^.

There were no 46 year olds like me at those UYI shows. Now we dominate the crowd at the current shows. They're still great shows- it's just way different. The music was new, now everyone has heard it for 25+ years.

Thats why I'm hoping for something new from the band. It's still never gonna be like the 80s/90s, but it can get really exciting again.

This was the kind of response I was expecting. I know it doesn't compare in terms of the show, I was just wondering what it was like before social media. In 2016 I was just excited to see a rock band play stadiums. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

It doesn't compare at all because this ^.

There were no 46 year olds like me at those UYI shows. Now we dominate the crowd at the current shows. They're still great shows- it's just way different. The music was new, now everyone has heard it for 25+ years.

Thats why I'm hoping for something new from the band. It's still never gonna be like the 80s/90s, but it can get really exciting again.

The show I went to definitely felt like the audience was mostly 40-somethings. 

The thing is, a lot of people were taking piss breaks during the Chinese songs and deep cuts like Coma. I don't know if concert audiences necessarily want new music from Guns anymore -- maybe they just want the Hits.

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The thing is, a lot of people were taking piss breaks during the Chinese songs and deep cuts like Coma. I don't know if concert audiences necessarily want new music from Guns anymore -- maybe they just want the Hits.

SF was a mix...women and men ages 20 to 50, kids, couples, groups of college guys etc. It was nice to see the wide range. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

Best tour since the Illusions is more appropriate.   

Yes, I know the illusion tour was better for sure, I was just trying to gain perspective of what it was like then vs. now in terms of excitement, popularity, and attendance. I was still pretty young during the illusion tours. I remember them being on MTV and stuff, but I also remember the grunge scene and the yo MTV raps bullshit. Just wondering what it was like for some of the older members here who went to the shows. Was it advertised on radio, tv, billboards? I heard a lot of people this past summer saying not in this lifetime was like an extension of the illusions, that's why I asked the question the way I did. 

21 minutes ago, Original said:

It was an exciting time.  No social media so it was all/mostly MTV News and RS etc.... Kurt Loder, Lonn Friend (where are those guys)?  Rumors, excitement, unpredictability.....totally different than 2017.  I'm just happy to see them again (Nu Guns I saw but that doesn't count).

Yeah, I sometimes wish I was born a decade earlier so I could've been part of the whole scene. I graduated in 02' and while in high school, most of the bands I liked weren't very popular with the mainstream. I felt like the late 90's music really sucked, so I just continued listening to guns and Motley Crue.

I remember Kurt loder doing the MTV news report. He seemed like he was always a fan of guns. How did people find out about concerts during this time? What about tickets? 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

That's true, which is why most bands do a 12-14 track album every couple of years and sprinkle a few of those songs among the hits to promote a new tour.