Use your illusion tour vs. not in this lifetime tour

2 hours ago, Original said:

It was an exciting time.  No social media so it was all/mostly MTV News and RS etc.... Kurt Loder, Lonn Friend (where are those guys)?  Rumors, excitement, unpredictability.....totally different than 2017.  I'm just happy to see them again (Nu Guns I saw but that doesn't count).

Waiting a month for the new Kerrang magazine to see if there was a Guns feature! I got a UYI tour magazine one month (I think Kerrang put it out), it was like my birthday! ₩

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

The show I went to definitely felt like the audience was mostly 40-somethings. 

The thing is, a lot of people were taking piss breaks during the Chinese songs and deep cuts like Coma. I don't know if concert audiences necessarily want new music from Guns anymore -- maybe they just want the Hits.

Yeah- the older "poser" fans probably just want to hear SCOM, but I think the true fans and the younger fans could get a big hype going again with just one great single playing on hard rock radio... I don't know...

5 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Yeah, I sometimes wish I was born a decade earlier so I could've been part of the whole scene. I graduated in 02' and while in high school, most of the bands I liked weren't very popular with the mainstream. I felt like the late 90's music really sucked, so I just continued listening to guns and Motley Crue.

I remember Kurt loder doing the MTV news report. He seemed like he was always a fan of guns. How did people find out about concerts during this time? What about tickets? 

My friends & I always heard about the shows on the radio. Then we would either get tickets at the venue box office, or if it was a show a couple hours away, we would go to a Ticketmaster outlet and get them. I think there was a place in the mall where they printed them for you, but can't really recall that for sure.

It took a lot more effort to get tickets though! You had to physically move your ass somewhere, as opposed to "click, click, print"... :lol:

Hey you! Get the fuck off my lawn!!!

I am fortunate enough to be at both.  Being at the Vegas opener and the show in Detroit, it really took me back to the good old days.  I know we do not have new music and gnr are not in the top of the charts, but the vibe and feel really reminded me of the 92 UYI tour.  It was really unbelievable to see thousands of people lining up and filling a stadium to see our favorite band.  I never thought I'd see the likes of this again. GnR was again on top, fans very excited and amped up both before and after the show.  A few short years ago I saw half the crowd disappear at Rock on the Range.  2016 was completely different.  If you didn't know better, it could of been 1992.  I still hope the current incarnation keeps it going and produces more music, but I feel very fortunate to have seen them last year twice and rocking like it was 1992. 

• Like 4

Back in the illusions day unless you were at a show or it somehow was covered by the likes of mtv, then you had to wait for stories & reviews to hit magazines. You couldn't just go to the internet, read updates on the day, watch live streams or you tube. The build up, waiting etc has been spoiled in that respect.

There may be a older audience, but so are the band. It's never gonna fully recreate the hunger and anger from back then, but the fact I was around to see it means I'm still as pumped for it now as 93-93. I have avoided videos etc because when they take the stage at slane castle I want it to take me back to the glory days. I'm psyched.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

I don't get why people say is a cashgrab, the guys are doing their jobs lol

Basically every tour is a cash grab. Otherwise the artists would play for free.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 4

They were promoting a (double) album with the Illusion tour, thirty spanking new songs which you could go into the shops and buy!! There is no comparison with today's nostalgia show! You could for instance argue that the Illusion band were a proper band who wrote, recorded and released songs (little did we know that that was the last songs released!) and did music videos, interviews and photo shoots. None of that occurs now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah- the older "poser" fans probably just want to hear SCOM, but I think the true fans and the younger fans could get a big hype going again with just one great single playing on hard rock radio... I don't know...

Yeah, I do think they should release one kick ass in your face single... I am sure they could come up with that and replace one of the painfully boring CD songs in the set with it. Maybe they are waiting on Izzy... 

5 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

My friends & I always heard about the shows on the radio. Then we would either get tickets at the venue box office, or if it was a show a couple hours away, we would go to a Ticketmaster outlet and get them. I think there was a place in the mall where they printed them for you, but can't really recall that for sure.

It took a lot more effort to get tickets though! You had to physically move your ass somewhere, as opposed to "click, click, print"... :lol:

Yeah and you just took what you could get too! I remember waiting in line many times too.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Spirit said:

Ultimately, money was the motive in both instances.

Sure UYI was about money and keeping the adolescent rock n roll party going but it was also about artistic integrity and ambition. To squash AFD and conquer the world with the evolution of their new album. 

NITL is solely about the loot. No comparison whatsoever. I don't think it's a final cash grab as that will probably happen in another decade or so. Hopefully somewhere along the way we get a new album and the return of Izzy and Adler/Sorum to whatever extent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

They were promoting a (double) album with the Illusion tour, thirty spanking new songs which you could go into the shops and buy!! There is no comparison with today's nostalgia show! You could for instance argue that the Illusion band were a proper band who wrote, recorded and released songs (little did we know that that was the last songs released!) and did music videos, interviews and photo shoots. None of that occurs now.

Right now, they are doing what they should do and what most of the audience that going to the shows expect them to do. Contrary to what some people say, an act of nostalgia in this context is not a bad thing. The songs they made are not disposable, there is no expiration date for this kind of art. The context plays for them, they did not stay 4 or 5 years apart, they were more than 20 years without playing together and a lot of people already had this matter closed. A new album right now is irrelevant compared to the expectation of seeing them back together playing those songs that enshrined them. After the tour yes, they should bring something new to the table but at this moment a new album would be only to calm the anxiety of a few hardcore fans and probably would be a bad business strategy.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

i'm tired of hearing "cash grab"... I am sure they are enjoying the money very much and they are definitely ass raping us wit the pathetic prices but I don't think it is all about the money..

True. There is the element of Slash and Duff wanting back in the band the band they helped create. Playing their timeless songs again for themselves and for the fans to a huge extent. Money is still #1 factor this time around though imo. For Axl money aside, it's about the convenience of replacing Nuguns with proven and familiar musicians instead of starting from scratch again with random replacements. Axl also gets to extend the legacy of his Chinese Democracy 

• Like 2

GnR by far leads the way with fans that hate, begrudge, and belittle their success.  Regardless, they have so many fans they sell out stadiums like last year and now this year.  NITL tour has dominated any other rock tour the past year & half.    

Edited by trev
  • Like 2

Would have to go UYI cos a 10 year old idolising the biggest band in the world in their late 20's/early 30's with singles in the charts was cooler than a 35 year old watching 50 year olds who haven't made music together since I was 9 years old. Numbers don't lie! 

15 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Yes, I know the illusion tour was better for sure, I was just trying to gain perspective of what it was like then vs. now in terms of excitement, popularity, and attendance. I was still pretty young during the illusion tours. I remember them being on MTV and stuff, but I also remember the grunge scene and the yo MTV raps bullshit. Just wondering what it was like for some of the older members here who went to the shows. Was it advertised on radio, tv, billboards? I heard a lot of people this past summer saying not in this lifetime was like an extension of the illusions, that's why I asked the question the way I did. 

I don't even know how to describe this adequately but it's like there are levels of buzz. A buzz from the top- media/MTV/radio created, a buzz from the middle which is where the internet lives, and a buzz from the bottom- local buzz, what your friends and neighbors or coworkers or school mates are talking about. 

Back then the top level was wildly different. MTV and radio stations still had massive amounts of power. Even if you thought MTV was lame you still watched it as a young person because there were very few outlets that catered to youth culture then. And MTV loved GNR. The videos (at least the first two) were huge. I remember the VJ's saying things like "We'll be playing November Rain at the top of the hour. Hold on- we'll be playing November Rain in ten minutes." The only other artists they did that with were Michael Jackson and Madonna. They were fixtures on MTV News because shit was always going down on that tour. CNN covered them in the aftermath of the riots. They just loomed very large in popular culture. They were played all the time on the radio and people actually listened to the radio. The band now has little to no impact on pop culture, so that's different.

The middle level was virtually non-exsistant. There were internet groups in 1992 and 1993, and they were global, but exceedingly small (you can still find some posts on Google Groups from back then). There was no impact from this level of buzz. 

The bottom, local level was greatly affected by the top. Media was much more homogenized back then so people had a tendency to watch and listen to the same things. MTV played "Don't Cry" for the first time and the next day at school everyone was talking about it, whether they were fans or not. Just like you would watch Cheers on TV and the next day everyone would be talking about it because virtually everyone was watching the same damn show at the same damn time. The coverage of the riots and Axl's behavior also had a huge impact because I remember there were kids who didn't even like the band but were going just to see if Axl would lose his shit. If there was a riot, everyone wanted to be there for it because people are weird. 

Maybe I'm imagining this but it seems like there is so much more to do these days. Maybe it's because that's how musicians make money now, but it seems like there is some major event virtually every week and that didn't seem to be the case back then. I grew up in a good sized city, but back then it was a big deal when there was a big concert. Even the act of lining up for tickets was an event in and of itself- sitting on the sidewalk for hours, people bringing lawn chairs, you'd get to meet other fans, the local news would oftentimes make an appearance. The shows were announced on the radio and the local news and ticket prices were much, much more reasonable which made these things much more inclusive and more like community events. It seems like half my school went to this show and I bet a lot of us bought our own tickets with baby-sitting money or money made at a fast food joint or a store in the mall.  The show was also advertised in the local music stores, where young people tended to congregate. 

The only real similarity I see with the NITL tour are the core line-up of Slash/Axl/Duff and attendance numbers.  This tour has more in common with say, a current Rolling Stones tour. Everyone's a little bit older, a little bit more dignified and there is more money involved for both the band and the audience. It's just a great chance to enjoy some classic music from our youth.

Now I feel a hundred years old.

Edited by beautifulanddamned
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I don't even know how to describe this adequately but it's like there are levels of buzz. A buzz from the top- media/MTV/radio created, a buzz from the middle which is where the internet lives, and a buzz from the bottom- local buzz, what your friends and neighbors or coworkers or school mates are talking about. 

Back then the top level was wildly different. MTV and radio stations still had mass amounts of power. Even if you thought MTV was lame you still watched it as a young person because there were very few outlets that catered to youth culture then. And MTV loved GNR. The videos (at least the first two) were huge. I remember the VJ's saying things like "We'll be playing November Rain at the top of the hour. Hold on- we'll be playing November Rain in ten minutes." The only other artists they did that with was Michael Jackson and Madonna. They were fixtures on MTV News because shit was always going down on that tour. Cnn covered them in the aftermath of the riots. They just loomed very large in popular culture. They were played all the time on the radio and people actually listened to the radio. The band now has little to no impact on pop culture, so that's different.

The middle level was virtually non-exsistant. There were internet groups in 1992 and 1993, and they were global, but exceedingly small (you can still find some posts on Google Groups from back then). There was no impact from this level of buzz. 

The bottom, local level was greatly affected by the top. Media was much more homogenized back then so people had a tendency to watch and listen to the same things. MTV played "Don't Cry" for the first time and the next day at school everyone was talking about it, whether they were fans or not. Just like you would watch Cheers on TV and the next day everyone would be talking about it because virtually everyone was watching the same damn show at the same damn time. The coverage of the riots and Axl's behavior also had a huge impact because I remember there were kids who didn't even like the band but were going just to see if Axl would lose his shit. If there was a riot, everyone wanted to be there for it because people are weird. 

Maybe I'm imagining this but it seems like there is so much more to do these days. Maybe it's because that's how musicians make money now, but it seems like there is some major event virtually every week and that didn't seem to be the case back then. I grew up in a good sized city, but back then it was a big deal when there was a big concert. Even the act of lining up for tickets was an event in and of itself- sitting on the sidewalk for hours, people bringing lawn chairs, you'd get to meet other fans, the local news would oftentimes make an appearance. The shows were announced on the radio and the local news and ticket prices were much, much more reasonable which made these things much more inclusive and more like community events. It seems like half my school went to this show and I bet a lot of us bought our own tickets with baby-sitting money or money made at a fast food joint or a store in the mall.  The show was also advertised in the local music stores, where young people tended to congregate. 

The only real similarity I see with the NITL tour are the core line-up of Slash/Axl/Duff and attendance numbers.  This tour has more in common with say, a current Rolling Stones tour. Everyone's a little bit older, a little bit more dignified and there is more money involved for both the band and the audience. It's just a great chance to enjoy some classic music from our youth.

Now I feel a hundred years old.

Great post! This is what I was wanting to hear about. Seems like it was an awesome time back then! I'm out of likes so here's a thumbs up ?

I don't know if most people here only socialize about music through the computer or if they have friends to...but there was a huge buzz amongst my friends, who like GnR and friends who don't.  Just about everyone I know and work with would ask me if I was going to the shows in my area.  Pretty big buzz with no MTV.

It's a matter of historical revisionism in some ways.  But there was an album, chaos, and drug/drink abuse back then.  It is what you make it.  Both tours should be of equal fun and excitement for anyone going.  If there's no excitement, why pay attention and why the hell would you go to the show?

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are back :heart:

Anyways, I was a new born when UYI was in full swing but I think its safe to say you cant compare them. That was the band in their prime. Axl, Slash, and Duff were younger amd full of energy. Its like any band, can you compare later shows to when they were in their prime? Younger, more energy,  making music, etc... So not really.

That being said, for a fan in their mid 20s, NITL has been pretty fuckin special. I dont care much if its primarily for money (if it is), because the shows I saw were a dream. Sure, I havs lost interest, but that is only because I already got my close to ideal GNR experiences last year. Psyched for the rest of the world to follow suit.

Sure,  I think Izzy and Steven should be there and Id like new music, but its still been great for younger fans like me that never got to see the real deal. I loved the NuGNR shows I saw, too, but this is on a much higher level. After all, its 3/5ths of the classic band instead of just 1, 2 of which are Axl and Slash

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Welcome back:hug:

UYI: new music/material

NITL: Slash is back and GNR has been saved. ?

• Like 2