Influenced Musicians Here?

I'm fearful of breaking any rules advertising the band I'm in so I've not mentioned them by name (I hope not anyway, I drink a lot) but was wondering who else here plays either as a bedroom player, pub player, club player, theatre, arena etc because of the influence GN'R had on their lives? 

Who bought the same guitar, drums as their idols etc? 

And most of all what did you take as said influence: structure, tone, style, overall sound...? 

• Like 2

I started playing the guitar in 93  my dad and my brother both played and I had not long got into GNR. I watched  the Tokyo show on VHS non stop and just loved everything about Slash , the image his amazing solos and the tone. In 94 I came across a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top in the music store and I just had to buy it and got myself a cheap Marshall amp. Still got the guitar and I'm never getting rid of it. My biggest regret is giving up playing after a few years of playing in my bedroom. I still pick it up but can't find the time that I need to get back into it. 

12 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I started playing the guitar in 93  my dad and my brother both played and I had not long got into GNR. I watched  the Tokyo show on VHS non stop and just loved everything about Slash , the image his amazing solos and the tone. In 94 I came across a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top in the music store and I just had to buy it and got myself a cheap Marshall amp. Still got the guitar and I'm never getting rid of it. My biggest regret is giving up playing after a few years of playing in my bedroom. I still pick it up but can't find the time that I need to get back into it. 

Life gets in the way, but you can always get back into it when you have the time. Even if you manage to you know... play for 15 minutes a day, it's still something.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Life gets in the way, but you can always get back into it when you have the time. Even if you manage to you know... play for 15 minutes a day, it's still something.

Yeah definitely I still do pick it up the odd time and play a few GNR songs so I don't forget how to play them as guns songs were all I wanted to play. With my son 5 years old now I'll find some more time and hopefully teach him the guitar and get myself playing again 

• Like 2

Yes, all of the GNR.  Slash first, but overtime all of it, all of them have been major influences.  Five O Clock Somewhere too (which has in places even more layers of guitar then CD). 

The guitar interplay on a LLAS track like Reckless Life with a much louder and dominant Izzy, with Slash featured primarily on solos is something that influences the way I like to play in a band.

AFD is the reason i started playing guitar. Its not like it was the first rock album i'd ever heard either, i'd listened to all the greats from the 60's n 70's thanks to my mother but Appetite was the album that i said to myself i have to learn that instrument. I remember i used to use the graphic equalizer to listen to either just Izzy or Slash depending on my mood and was just fascinated by how different their attack on every song was and i learned alot from both. Really is a perfect guitar album.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 2

I've only been playing for about 4 years, late in life, and I'll never be very good. But yes- I bought a Epiphone LP Standard because Slash plays LPs. Almost bought his red Epi signature model, but my talent did not justify the price! :lol: (Also was very disappointed in the quality- fuckin tone knob was all fuckin cross threaded and crooked).... I enjoy practicing with it unplugged when I'm chilling watching tv.

• Like 1

I fell inlove with gnr with afd.  But ive never playd an instrument till i got the "illusions".  Those albums really changed my life.  Once i heard those .. It was like .. Some kind of spirit or whatever got inside my blood.  Since then music is my life.

Im i singer ..and play guitar, piano and drums.. 

I had i "bar and local concerts" band.  Thing was going really well but suddenly..out of the blue.. The thing colapsed. It was ugly, and that deception/pain made me got away from music for like 3 to 4 years..

Right now im kinda a solo performer. (There are musicians with me but we're doing my stuff). And im trying to make it.  Sadly my country situation make things like this so complicated and they dont even give us passaports to get out of here.

At the moment im playing bars, medium/small gigs and.. Funny thing.. Every once in a while i reunite with my old band ( people who use to be fans back in the day invite us to partys, clubs and stuff like that)

OOOHH YES.. GUNS N' ROSES IS THE MAIN REASON, and songs like "patience, dont cry or november rain" are always on my set list.  Also, when i play with my old band, we like to do alive sweet child, estranged and brownstone"

• Like 1

Great thread!!  I have been playing different instruments all my life from trombone to drums to guitar to bass. (Not very well at any of them). Haha. But Recently have started on the Keys. Only because of Guns and Roses. I know many people look down on the illusions change in sound, but from the moment I heard Estranged and NR I thought to myself "I would love to be able to crank that out on the keys". 

I was at guitar center the other day, researching and trying different full sized 88 key graded hammer action digital pianos. Cranked he Yamaha the Hell up and started jamming November rain. Next thing you know there was a few people there all amped up rocking to some GNR. Lol

• Like 1

First heard GNR in 2012 and picked up guitar 2 years later. Slashs style is just what I like the best musically and that's what I seem to always play like when I play myself, I'm not a fan of all the crazy shred licks of Yngie and stuff like that (though I do use tapping). Another player I really like and stole a lot of licks from and is very, very similar to Slash is Mark Kendall from Great White. Richie Sambora is another, I think Keep The Faith is still the best rock solo I have ever heard and it took me whole months to get it down. But Slash is my man, 14 Years was the first solo I've learned, still one of my favourites.

This is a video of a riff I made like a year ago when I got excited for a new GNR album shortly after the reunion was announced :P

Still really wondering how a new GNR album would sound like. Slash really showed a different side with VR that I would have never guessed was in him

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Post your band and name so we can dig your music :headbang:

Great thread! Ive mainly been a bedroom player but have played in a few bands and am in one now where we gig pretty frequently. Guitar and music are my biggest passions and of course GNR has contributed greatly to that! 

I started playing guitar shortly after Green Day's American Idiot came out. That album was the first rock album that really pulled me in and that lead me to dive deaper into rock n roll. I got heavily influenced by classic rock, especially Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin.

My first concious exposure to GNR was Slash. It was in around 2005 and I jisy started high school. I watched The Godfather for the first time and it blew me away. Especially loved the music and looked up guitar arraignments for the main theme. Guess who popper up? Slash mesmorised me in those videos, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until months later when I heard SCOM for the first time. Once again, the guitar grabbed me. I looked up who the guitarist was and upon seeing it was Slash, knew I had to get into GNR.

Many increadible guitarists have played under the GNR banner, but Slash is the one player that has probably helped mold my playing more than anyone (and some Page and Mick Taylor). I love playing blues rock, and Slash's tones have always mesmerized me. Go figure my guitar of choice is a Les Paul and I love crunchy, gainy tones with a hint of delay. I also love his use of the tone knob, he always knows when to roll them back. Axl and the other guys are all insanely inspirational to me musically, too (especially Axl), but since I am a guitar player, Slash has influenced me a TON

Edit- I do play Fender amps primarily unlike Slash, but my main overdrive is modeled after the Marshall Silver Jubilee (one of Slash's live standbys). I dont try and copy Slash note for note (Im also not nearly as good as him in any way), but I wont deny his huge influence on me and my equipment choices :)

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 4

This is my old band that I played lead guitar in about 4 years ago. Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 with alnico pro II pick ups through a Marshall Vintage Modern, used to have an Orange Rockerverb MKIII also.

Liked all of the hits as a kid, SCOM, Jungle, PC etc but had no real knowledge of the band. It wasn't until I was 16 that I picked up AFD, listened to it in it's entirety and being completely blown away with what I heard. The guitar tone in particular, wow. 

Slash has been the biggest influence, closely followed by James and Kirk in Metallica. Other notable influencing legends are Page, Perry and Young.

Edited by Winta
  • Like 1

Definitely! I was raised country, but I bought a bass in 2011 after reading Duff's book. I practiced a ton of GNR songs to learn (I still can't play Rocket Queen to save my life), and I performed the bass, piano, and vocal parts for my country/rock album that was released a year ago last Saturday. I have a song called "We Go Hard," about the main bar strips of Texas and Louisiana, which was inspired by "It's So Easy."

You can check out my music at @GarrettSmithTX on FB, TW, and IG, and my YouTube Channel is below.

**EDIT** I sold my Silvertone at Christmas and bought a Les Paul... I mean, we all know who plays those...

Edited by G-Money
Forgot point
  • Like 1

Absolutely. GNR are the ones that opened up the Pandora's box for this Rock n Roll stuff for me when I was around 14/15. Although, Im no more than a bedroom player(occassionally I jam with some buddies) I love Guitar, play it for bit almost everyday. Im fairly average, but that is all right with me. Not trying to turn in into a way to make a living or anything like that. And yeah, I play a Les Paul, because I seen guys like Slash and Jimmy Page play them and look fucking awesome. That and I never really liked Strats that much. Every Strat I have tried I hated, you gotta fight the damn things. 

I have been playing guitar for about 11 years now and Appetite was a huge reason why I wanted to learn in the first place.  Within the next year I will finally have a BA in music and I owe a lot of my musical journey to the amazing sounds Slash was able to get out of his guitar for that record, it will always resonate with me!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sabian11 said:

Been playing drums for 30yrs now. I was a sophomore in High school when the Illusions came out and I bought them both on cassette. First thing I did was lock myself in the basement and learn to play all the songs (except My World lol). I still find myself jamming out on Back off Bitch all these years later some great drum fills in that song especially the beginning.  In fact now that I think of it my very first gig was an 8th grade talent show where I played Paradise City. The kids went nuts and at that moment I knew I wanted to be a rocker!  

Hell yeah! Been playing drums to GNR songs for about 20 years, Back off Bitch is also a favorite because of the intro. Bad Apples is also a fav.

Just love to play AFD from beginning to end, sometimes I get a bit tired and struggle with Think about You, haha.

Wow!!!! ? So many cool replies here, thanks guys! Some great music too, thank you for sharing that, for those that did I blasted them through the PA in my shop \m/.

It's also crazy how so many stories are similar and the influence that band had on us. 

I suppose I should put in my 5 dollah now:

When I was 9 years old growing up in Glasgow, Scotland (1991) my Dad was a big corporate whore and used to get free tickets and exec boxes to pretty much anything, he was a big rocker and raised me right on The Stones, Zep, The Who, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Nazareth, Jethro Tull etc. Him and his workmates were going to GN'R at Wembley down in London and he wrangled it so could go too. It was a baptism of fire to say the least, looking back I wish I had at least known some of the songs beforehand but hey, I was there mesmerised by a certain Mr Stradlin. It gutted me to find out this was his final show. I found that out much later via Kerrang! when I was finally allowed to buy it. 

After that I wanted to play guitar and my uncle John gave me an old beat up Tele he had lying around, before I could play anything I just pretended to play in front of the mirror, lol. My music collection was nothing but GN'R, Ju Ju Hounds, Duff and Snakepit for the longest time. 

Fastforward through countless bands and years playing pubs in New York, Belfast, Dublin etc and I saw the band I saw open for Adler's Appetite were looking a rhythm guitarist, I auditioned and got the job, when Adler returned my guitar partner in that band filled in for Stevens sacked band and played rhythm for him for 2 shows. (jealousy!) 

That band broke up and 8 years ago I started my own called Cross Eyed Mary and I play Gibson Les Paul Standards, Gibson ES-135 and Fender Tele's through a 70's Marshall. Reviewers of our shows etc are always comparing us to a cross between Guns N' Roses and a band local to here called Therapy? I still dont hear it! 

We've been lucky enough to share bills and stages with Mike Monroe, Ugly Kid Joe, Living Colour, The Answer, Airbourne, Black Star Riders, members of Mötorhead, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and more and supported Tracii Guns and Rudy Sarzo here locally. We have been VERY lucky! 

The band has shared lead vocals with me and my fiancée Sarah, I play lead, she plays rhythm and we have a 3rd guitarist who covers the stuff thats hard to play while singing live, bass and drums. Its quite a crazy band. 

As I write this I'm sitting in my guitar store with your music and Izzy blasting and my ES-135 next to me. 

All this because of ONE band: GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES

Thats our first single. Its NOT us in the video BTW! 

And yes we released a single called Gropecunt Lane that surprisingly got radio play:

I think the Spotify link only plays part of the song if you're not logged in to it so check us out on Bandcamp! 

And here's the preview of 4 songs to our most recent EP:

Thanks again! 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
Spelling as usual!
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

My whole interest in music and wanting to become a performer comes from Guns. I've taught myself a good number of the songs and can sing almost identically to Axl and want to pursue music in my life :) 

Go for it, prepare to be broke for the longest time but it's worth it. I started repairing and teaching guitar as well as gigging and recording just so that even when I did have to 'work' I was surrounded by guitars and music. Best of luck! 

• Like 1