Guns N' Roses Announcement at 7AM EST, May 25th

16 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Spot on.... That is the biggest issue.. The chemistry between Slash and Fortus.. My ears hear it. It has gotten better over time but this is the worst pairing Slash has ever had chemistry wise.. Slash is a beast and makes it work though... Sometimes better than others..

You forgot to take your medication today. Please, call the doctor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I'd love a Where's Izzy version of Where's Wally. If it wasn't for potential licensing issues and total lack of artistic ability I'd do it myself. :lol:

We made a really janky version of one in the Izzy thread. I think it's posted in the first couple pages. :lol:

Edit: found it:

17908x.png

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 3

On 5/25/2017 at 6:44 AM, Hollywood Zombie said:

Guess I'm the only one excited to see Live open up. Guess I'm the only one who doesn't hate GNR at the moment, Guess I'm the only one excited to see them live again. 

Nah. I'm pumped for this. I didn't think I'd see a SECOND show this year (I have St. Louis already lined up). Great news for me. I don't get Live though. It woulda been cool.

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Nah. I'm pumped for this. I didn't think I'd see a SECOND show this year (I have St. Louis already lined up). Great news for me. I don't get Live though. It woulda been cool.

I, too, have St. Louis lined up, and honestly think I would rather have Live than Deftones.  Just never been into them at all, and kinda seems like a bizarre pairing.  If they were going to go with a odd pairing, I kinda wish they would have tried to get something more local to St. Louis, like Wilco.  Oh well, its not like the opener matters all that much anyway.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The gigs are better with Fortus? That is another complete joke. He is fine on some songs but there are other times when he totally over does it and detracts from songs... Showman? More like a showboat.. He acts like a buffoon onstage and I have heard a lot of people mention that outside of this board. Izzy is no good on stage??  Say you I guess.. Those shows before he left the band were phenomenal. You don't have to run around punching your guitar and making poop faces to have good stage presence.. Izzy balanced everything else out.. Let Axl and Slash run around. Izzy balanced everything out with his laid back chill style.. There are a lot of people that like that over posing. When the band all started looking like a bunch of cartoon characters, Izzy remained a cool down to earth dude and balanced them all out. u like the dude whatever but do say he makes the band better is a complete fucking joke.. He has been in the band for 15 years and no one knows who the hell he is.. 15 more and they still won't... Izzy or no Izzy they could have found a much better fit than that dude.

It's really baffling to me that for some people stage prerence / charisma = running around with your instrument, posing and making faces. I'm not going to judge anyone for doing this, but it's not the only way to perform on stage.  Every band needs a balance. Imagine  AC/DC with 4 Angnus Youngs crashing to each other like bumper cars. Izzy is cool, laid back guy who does on stage what feels natural for him. Sometimes he can move more ( for example with Aerosmith 2012 )  and sometimes less. But the point is you can't force these things or it ends up looking fake (and stupid)

One thing I found funny and sad at the same time, is that there are lot of people who think Fortus is Izzy. :facepalm:

Edited by Fourteenbeers

Fortus has zero signature licks and seems to get in the way of Slash more times than not. I don't hate the dude and he is a very good player, but I too would rather have Gilby or Izzy. Someone that knows their role. Also it often seems that Fortus is louder in the Mix too. That really pisses me off lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Spot on.... That is the biggest issue.. The chemistry between Slash and Fortus.. My ears hear it. It has gotten better over time but this is the worst pairing Slash has ever had chemistry wise.. Slash is a beast and makes it work though... Sometimes better than others..

It's obvious cause 4tus is not a blues guitarist and was no guns fan before joining the band. So he doesn't understand the specific GnR vibe. Gilby does. 

In a normal GnR world there should have been always an open door for Izzy. Like it actually have been during the UYI tour. Gilby broke his hand, Izzy replaced him. Izzy is important for the songwriting, Gilby had a great live chemistry with the band. And he improved since then. Just look up his solo band concert in Argentina. Great vibe, awesome chemistry with the crowd and bluesy rock sound. 

The perfect GnR tour would involve Axl, Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Matt, Steven. And two female background singers for some songs. That's my definition of a perfect live GnR experience. And of course more surprises in the setlist like Slither, Set me free, some Slash solo stuff,  some other covers than the seeker. 

While saying this, I know, it will never happen. So, all I want now is more pro shot stuff from the UYI tour. That's at least just a bit more realistic. 

Edited by 2414225
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2414225 said:

While saying this, I know, it will never happen. So, all I want now is more pro shot stuff from the UYI tour. That's at least just a bit more realistic. 

And some pro shot from 87-88 while they are at it... We have the bloated Tokyo 92 DVDs so how about some stuff from 87, 88, 89, 91 and 93!!! That would kick ass \m/

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

And some pro shot from 87-88 while they are at it... We have the bloated Tokyo 92 DVDs so how about some stuff from 87, 88, 89, 91 and 93!!! That would kick ass \m/

If they're gonna release an archived concert it has to be this one. 

Greatest setlist of all time. This show is legendary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2414225 said:

izzy is the studio songwriting guy. gilby was the perfect live guy for slash. 4tus doesn't fit with slash at all...robin f.ex. would have fit better with slash.

I like Gilby as much as the next guy, but I'll take Izzy Stradlin live w/ Slash over Gilby every time. There is nobody cooler than Izzy onstage at the 88 Ritz gig. 

Sure, if we can't get Izzy - Gilby is fine, but I don't see what Gilby brings to the live experience that Izzy didn't do better in the first place, especially pre- UYI.

• Like 2

If we try to think about things objectively and consider the logistics of releasing new material, it makes little sense to release something now.

Consider:

• Europe still needs its NITL tour.  
  • They're celebrating the 30th anniversary of AFD.  Releasing a new song or album now would undercut those efforts.

If new music is in the cards, it might make more sense to release something around the time the newly announced shows begin.  They could line up a release date for the 2017 holiday season and promote it with the new arena tour.  

Having said all that, I still think it's unlikely we get anything new this year.  While I think there are many motivations for why this semi-reunion happened, ultimately it's all about making bank while the getting is good.  If we examine Axl's history of releasing new music we see it's one of struggle on many fronts; with all that's going on who is to say whether that's an endeavour he's interested in pursuing.  

But if we do want to be blindly and almost absurdly optimistic and hopeful, it shouldn't come as surprise that this recent announcement was about more tour dates than anything relating to new music or product.  Just looking at the remainder of the calendar year and what they have planned it makes little sense to release something now.  If anything is going to happen this year, the smart money would be on mid to late fall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Ah good. Finally the thread has become a Fortus vs Izzy discussion. It took far too long...

(Frank this, Melissa that surely soon to come) :facepalm:

Naah. Let's skip Fortus and  rest all together and just talk about Izzy. Do you have any song lyrics in store for him?

Like that "Hauling a Hog" that you suggested some time ago ?:lol:

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

-lots of logical words cut for length-

It looks suspiciously like you are trying to use logic on us. We don't want no logic and sense around these parts. This topic would only be 5 pages long and absolutely no fun if we did.

• Like 4

Even his work for Rhianna is totally forgettable. Unfortunately Slash's work for her was also bad, cause he played on a lame song... 

While saying this I have to admit that I really like the Bucketheadesque guitar work by Alex Delicata? in California king bed. Maybe it's really a Buckethead solo. 

At 3:45. Doesn't it sound like Buckethead? 

Edited by 2414225