[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaking objectively, Axl has been struggling to sing with GN'R since 2011. Yeah, 2016 is better, but AXL/DC showed us what he's really capable of. So... what do you choose? The 2010 voice, or the 2016 AXL/DC voice?

Edited by GNRfanMILO

2010 by a LOOONG SHOT!

I am one of the people who are fortunate enough to have seen Guns N' Roses in 2010 in the middle of the European Leg, while he was still on fire and warmed up. Nothing comes even close to that. Rasp on every single note he hit. Axl had so much rasp at the time that you could barely understand the lyrics. Even November Rain...

Whilst Axl/DC is more of a 'screaming rasp', GNR in 2010 was 'singing rasp'..

It goes 1991>1992>2010>2016 NA>SA>2006 Rasp

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

He's been struggling to sing GNR since 2011 ??? :facepalm:

He's been struggling to sing GNR since 2001...

Not at all. You not liking him choosing to sing clean in 2001/2002 is not the same thing as him struggling. He had a tonne of control and power back then compared to his more recent lazy, weak falsetto. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 2

Dunno what this question even means, but I voted for 2010, because his voice was better back then. That's why he would have sounded even better on AC/DC songs as well back then.

His 2016 Axl/DC voice is the same as his 2016 GNR voice, except AC/DC songs fit his voice better.

• Like 1

Both exceptional but AC/DC without question imo. His performances of the Brian Johnson material is simply sublime. Even on the Bon Scott material during the NA leg was raspy as fuck. Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be and Dirty Deeds where evil. The only songs that had any hint of clean falsetto by that second leg was T.N.T. and the verses of High Voltage.

2010 was fantastic but Sweet Child was still raspless as was November Rain. Also Paradise City was inconsistent. So technically I guess you could say they were even but the AC/DC performances are just infinitely more impressive. Nothing he did in 2010 compares to how he sounds on Shoot to Thrill, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Hells Bells, Givin the Dog a Bone, Have a Drink on Me and For Those About to Rock.

I think the main reason 2010 is glorified so much is because of the comparison of certain songs. But the comparison of the vocal styles he uses on AC/DC and the stamina he shows compared to GN'R is way more striking imo.

1 minute ago, Jeez said:

This is probably going to be a shock for some: Axl will most likely sound better today, in 2017, then he will in 2027. I leave it for you to figure out why. Good luck.

Axl sounds better in 2016 than 2001 though. So... how the fuck do you figure that one out?

Just now, Jeez said:

What was he doing between 93 and 2001?

Good point. Still doesn't explain the weird fluctuations. It's like Axl never gradually declines, it's always sudden spurts of greatness or poor quality. 2010 he was on fire. 2011 was horrendous. 2012 and 2013 were average. 2014 SA leg was really bad but the Vegas residency was better than 2011, 2012 and 2013 combined.

Same thing here, 2016 was fantastic. Axl/DC was some of the most impressive vocals of his career yet he takes a couple months off and he's awful.

I think the answer is that when he can be bothered to put the effort in he can sound incredible.

57 minutes ago, AlexC said:

2010 was fantastic but Sweet Child was still raspless as was November Rain. Also Paradise City was inconsistent. So technically I guess you could say they were even but the AC/DC performances are just infinitely more impressive. Nothing he did in 2010 compares to how he sounds on Shoot to Thrill, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Hells Bells, Givin the Dog a Bone, Have a Drink on Me and For Those About to Rock.

You do know that Sweet Child O Mine studio version is raspless? The song is supposed to be raspless, except for the ending, and in 2010 he sang the ending with full rasp. So I'm not sure what your problem with the 2010 version is?

November Rain also had at least as much rasp in the 2010 version, as in the studio version.

Not sure what you mean by the "nothing in 2010 compares to how he sounds in Shoot To Thrill etc" Look at that Nice Boys performance above for example. It's full of rasp and power. Also the energy and stage presence is incredible. How is that in any way worse than any Shoot To Thrill performance? The only reason why you're so impressed with the Axl/DC performances is because unlike GNR songs, AC/DC songs are full of screaming. They are perfect songs for Axl to showcase the power of his voice. If he had sang AC/DC songs in 2010, he would have sounded even more impressive than in 2016, because his overall voice was so much better and stronger back then. Also nothing in 2010 sounded as weak as Touch Too Much and TNT in 2016.

But yeah, at least we all agree that he sounded great in both 2010 and in those AC/DC shows. It's rare that almost the whole forum agrees on something. :D

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 3

It's so hard for me to choose... like with Axl/Dc he could rasp even with that "mid tone" that was suposedly gone. Then he makes those fucking amazing screams on songs like Shoot to Thrill (final part), For Those About To Rock, Hells Bells.

But... he did all of this in 2010 too! I think 2010 takes this poll, but the fact that Axl could reach this levels again after 6 years its impressive. And also to a public that didnt know him and tought was like fat elvis or something. One of the highlights of his career, for sure.

2016 Axl/Dc Axl is how he should sound with GNR. And yes, he's capable. He needs to RELEARN them because he has been singing them with his ways for years now

• Like 1

2010 Axl is as close to 91-93 as you will ever see again. Amazing 

sad that something happened Bc like mentioned above it was so natural for him to sing this way in 2010. The above video has no stunning vocal moments but there are small nuances that he sang with that were so much a part of classic Axl

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1