[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, tim10101 said:

I cant deny it just seemed a bit hollow..... Plus the fact all these 'GNR Fans' who jumped aboard the reunion train after they dissed Axls n GNR for the past decade, like wtf..

I think what's happening is hilarious.

Some of them seem trapped in a space time continuum as if nothing ever happened since the 90s. Like this Guns N' Roses line-up is a brand new operating touring system. Slash hasn't been in Guns N' Roses for twenty years, wanted the gig badly for a decade now, and these are the newest fans that are geniunely happy to call it a true reunion, like now, it is totally 'Guns N' Roses', even though Izzy and Adler aren't there. It must have been thrilling for them to hear classics like Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry or There Was A Time for the first time in decades, I guess.

I cannot take seriously someone avoiding existence of the '01-'14 era, or avoiding Chinese Democracy like it never happened. Chinese Democracy is part of Guns N' Roses history, deal with it. Not Myles Kennedy, not Velvet Revolver, not the Conspirators, not Fergie.

In the meantime, there are plenty of shows from 2006 and 2012 where Izzy was playing with Guns N' Roses, also Duff in '10-'11-'14. It was always forging ahead. These 'GNR fans' seems to only like a good mainstream success.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cory Trevor said:

In 2010 Axl sang nasally as shit compared to Axl/DC so it's just different. He sings Rosie better nowadays with ACDC imo 

im not so sure...This is probably the video Angus watched before choosing Axl. He was an absolute monster in 2010, I personally prefer this version but as mentioned in this thread it's all preference 

• Like 3

Glad at least someone else 'gets it' Silent Jay :) Yeah blows my mind all these 'fans' coming out of the woodwork just cause of the reunion. They obviously aren't genuine GNR fans if they hated nuGNR era. My opinion but yeah, it blatantly obvious to me.

And I also agree that its hilarious the old fan are like its GNR cuz Slash came crawling back lmao

Edited by tim10101
forgot some lol
  • Like 1

Except for the 90's IMO Axl was in his vocal prime 2006. total control and a very powerful and wide range. 2010 also great but a bit too much rasp on songs that don't need it. 2016 leg of the tour was pretty good! especially in the beginning. 

2010 Axl. I like AXL/DC too, but after all he is GNR singer and it´s different thing. Apparently 2010 was last year when he could sing GNR songs with "old style". What the fuck happened to him after that? Very strange, because collapse happened so fast. Some kind of surgery or what? 

I have always felt, and believed that it's just been a choice he's made. 2010 he made the choice to come out and sound the way he did. I believe he's doing the same thing right now, which sucks big time because GNR is back on the huge stage and people are going online to hear GNR in YouTube videos and from blabbermouth posts and other online services and their hearing him sing like this and it's just horrible. But it is what it is.

I really find it unfortunate that he's singing Black Hole Sun in tribute to Chris Cornell yet using that clean voice when he could sound so amazing singing Black Hole Sun. One of the reasons I say this is people bring up how AC/DC songs fit him so perfectly because they're all screaming songs, except when he turns to some of the Bon Scott songs like a Touch Too Much & TNT, and then his voice sounds fairly weak and pretty consistent to what we're hearing from him recently.

Well I turn that arguement around around and say look at what he did with Free Fallin with Tom Petty. That's not a screaming song but he still sounded like Axl Rose. Come Together with Bruce Springsteen was not a screaming song but he still sounded like Axl Rose. Salt of the Earth was not a screaming song but he still sounded like Axl Rose with the Rolling Stones.

Axl can make any song sound like vintage Axl and it would sound fantastic. It doesn't have to be a screaming song for him to sound that way. This is why I believe it's a choice. I don't understand it, at first I thought maybe it was a longevity issue. That he may not be able to sing like  the old Axl night after night anymore. That's what I believed when I heard him in 2001 up to 2006 and then we got it on and off. Then in 2010 he was fairly consistently sounding like vintage Axl Rose so that blew my theory away.

So all I have left now is that he's making a choice to sing that way. Can't possibly explain why because I absolutely hate it. I can't even stand to listen to it. They're coming to a brand new arena in my hometown of Detroit at the new Red Wings Arena and I want to go so bad but I'm not going to drop a dime to go hear him sing like that. I heard him in 06 and he was fantastic at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

And lastly, the proof will be if we do get a new song from this version of the band, I'd bet money with a guarantee his vocals are going to sound like the vocals we've always heard GNR albums. It's not going to sound like he's singing in these recent shows that have been coming up on this European leg. Because his voice has been downright Dreadful. And in all honesty I love Axl, he's my favorite performer, favorite singer songwriter of all time, but he's not singing with the power and the passion that made him my favorite anymore. And he's not doing Chris Cornell any justice singing Soundgarden, and should just drop it from the set.

Edited by ll_tj1

Ive seen both live. Idk theyre both good. It all melds together sorta.

Edit- I will also say I thought he sounded killer at the 3 2016 shows I saw. Also saw a 2011 and a 2012 show and thought he was pretty good there, too

Edited by ZoSoRose

I got to see him twice on Canadian tour 2010.  Was fucking incredible.  And he did have nuance and didnt only use rasp.  The one night he was especially on he did a performance of this I love that was otherworldly.  

Show starts and theres thing ashba clown doing the hulk hogan and I thought it was gonna be complete shit.  The fact that 2010 Axl was sharing a stage with Ashba is a great tragedy.

Saw him again in 2011 and it was mickey non stop

2010, and it ain't even close. Axl is best when he has something to prove. When CD finally came out and the band was getting serious attention, he came out with a new-found fire under his ass, and that 2006-2010 stretch around that was absolutely mesmerizing. Axl/DC is great too, but it's more of a "prove that I am worthy" hunger than "prove that I am the greatest" like he had in 2010.

And I do think, unfortunately, that's the difference between his Axl/DC voice and his NITL voice. He's selling out stadiums again, people are coming for the reunion lineup, and he doesn't feel like he has to prove anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Jay said:

Yet there hasn't been a better performance of Sweet Child O' Mine since the Illusion tour. 

I guess this is a preferance thing because I'd rather listen to Boston '02 with the strong clean voice to the gargling sounds of 1992.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:41 PM, IncitingChaos said:

That aging he did between December 2010 and Rio 2011 was incredible! 

I wonder... If the first 2011 show had been in the US or Europe instead of Rock In Rio with all the technical troubles, would he have sung like he did in 2010?