[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl

[POLL] 2010 Axl vs. 2016 AXL/DC Axl  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I guess this is a preferance thing because I'd rather listen to Boston '02 with the strong clean voice to the gargling sounds of 1992.

15 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Boston '02 was also on my mind, but still weaker.

Hot take: my favorite sound for Axl's voice singing Sweet Child is the end credits of Big Daddy. 

I look forward to your hateful messages, members of MyGNR. 

20 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

I wonder... If the first 2011 show had been in the US or Europe instead of Rock In Rio with all the technical troubles, would he have sung like he did in 2010?

Neh, it would have sounded like Chile a few nights later. Which would be considered an excellent show by today's standards. The whole Rio thing was a disaster no matter what...the fact that he happened to lose his voice in that time period exaggerated the issue. The fact that it was live streamed on YouTube was the cherry on top 

https://youtu.be/ycg8pDHdIUA

however his voice was still completely f*cked 

Edited by IncitingChaos

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Neh, it would have sounded like Chile a few nights later. Which would be considered an excellent show by today's standards. The whole Rio thing was a disaster no matter what...the fact that he happened to lose his voice in that time period exaggerated the issue. The fact that it was live streamed on YouTube was the cherry on top 

https://youtu.be/ycg8pDHdIUA

however his voice was still completely f*cked 

I don´t think that singing style is a choice. No way. Something happened to him between those months. But what? I know he can sing most AC/DC songs great, but songs are very different than GNR`s and after all you can still hear struggle/falsetto with some parts. So I think it really means that he can´t sing anymore like he did in 2010. That´s sad, but it´s a fact. If they are ever gonna change their setlist, they should choose/change songs, which Axl can still sing good. I mean, he can still do It´s so Easy, WTJ, Nightrain, OTGM, Double talking, Brownstone and that kind of stuff very well, so they should think more what his voice can take and what it can´t.

2010, but by a hair.

I'm not one to rag on Axl (and have been called a "nutter" plenty of times), but the voice does worry me periodically. The jump in sound from 2010 to 2011 was very obvious. What makes less sense is how much better he sounds with AXL/DC than GN'R now. 

2 hours ago, Loot Man said:

I don´t think that singing style is a choice. No way. Something happened to him between those months. But what? I know he can sing most AC/DC songs great, but songs are very different than GNR`s and after all you can still hear struggle/falsetto with some parts. So I think it really means that he can´t sing anymore like he did in 2010. That´s sad, but it´s a fact. If they are ever gonna change their setlist, they should choose/change songs, which Axl can still sing good. I mean, he can still do It´s so Easy, WTJ, Nightrain, OTGM, Double talking, Brownstone and that kind of stuff very well, so they should think more what his voice can take and what it can´t.

I agree, he lost his voice. Simple as that. It's not a choice to sing more mickeyish just what he's left with with GNR. I would bet almost anything he had a vocal surgery after the 2010 tour that limited his voice. His talking voice was even different for a period of time 

16 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I agree, he lost his voice. Simple as that. It's not a choice to sing more mickeyish just what he's left with with GNR. I would bet almost anything he had a vocal surgery after the 2010 tour that limited his voice. His talking voice was even different for a period of time 

You would lose whatever you bet. He just sat on his ass for over 12 months and didn't rehearse. I don't think Axl has ever had any vocal surgery of any kind. His vocal delivery at Rio '11 was still better than Rio '01. Simply because he'd only had 1 year off versus 7 previously.

There was a drastic change in the way he sang in 2011-13 compared to 2010 but I just think it's because he found a way to rasp while overusing falsetto. If you actually listen to 2010, although his rasp was always on point, his range was limited. He barely ever used head voice and as a result, during the bridge of Better, for example, he couldn't actually reach the upper scale notes.

Once he started relying on falsetto he gradually improved his rasp. If you listen to the way he sounds now when he's 'on point' vs 2011-13 his rasp is way sharper and more old school than it was then. He first started using it in Vegas '14 and went into overdrive mode with AC/DC. Axl is like anyone, probably just learning new ways to sing and progress. Like Slash does with guitar. Axl is no different.

The only difference is when Axl is rusty it can be disastrous haha.

Thats why I don't think if Axl used the technique he was using in 2010 he would be able to sing AC/DC material. He wouldn't have the upper range capability of singing Back in Black as effectively as he does now.

But both years still kick ass. Neither is bad at all.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

2010 was totally impressive..

That scraped video from 2:00 to 2:20 is basically Axl having a singing contest with himself...it's like he's fighting with two personalities through a yelling match and somehow portrayed his split personality into one song and into a concert. Not sure that's getting enough respect...the song may suck but watching that segment is unreal  

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

That scraped video from 2:00 to 2:20 is basically Axl having a singing contest with himself...it's like he's fighting with two personalities through a yelling match and somehow portrayed his split personality into one song and into a concert. Not sure that's getting enough respect...the song may suck but watching that segment is unreal  

Yeah I agree. Scraped is great live because of the impressive vocals. Just a shame the lyrics suck haha.

13 minutes ago, AlexC said:

You would lose whatever you bet. He just sat on his ass for over 12 months and didn't rehearse. I don't think Axl has ever had any vocal surgery of any kind. His vocal delivery at Rio '11 was still better than Rio '01. Simply because he'd only had 1 year off versus 7 previously.

There was a drastic change in the way he sang in 2011-13 compared to 2010 but I just think it's because he found a way to rasp while overusing falsetto. If you actually listen to 2010, although his rasp was always on point, his range was limited. He barely ever used head voice and as a result, during the bridge of Better, for example, he couldn't actually reach the upper scale notes.

Once he started relying on falsetto he gradually improved his rasp. If you listen to the way he sounds now when he's 'on point' vs 2011-13 his rasp is way sharper and more old school than it was then. He first started using it in Vegas '14 and went into overdrive mode with AC/DC. Axl is like anyone, probably just learning new ways to sing and progress. Like Slash does with guitar. Axl is no different.

The only difference is when Axl is rusty it can be disastrous haha.

Thats why I don't think if Axl used the technique he was using in 2010 he would be able to sing AC/DC material. He wouldn't have the upper range capability of singing Back in Black as effectively as he does now.

But both years still kick ass. Neither is bad at all.

Axl's 2010 range was insane, I don't think he was limited by anything that year besides his desire to actually hit the notes properly. 

He had range, it was a different animal 

Imo Axl is too old to be evolving his voice and probably would love it if he could walk out every night and sing like he did in 2010...I think he would work really hard if it was something he could maintain. However I maintain that the vocal surgery theory is a high possibility

Acdc thing is crazy to me. For him to sound that good took a ton of work. However I do notice the speed at which he sings AC/DC songs is more broken up than GNR so he doesn't really have to carry the note in the same way. Still crazy he won't adjust GNR songs into a more AC/DC style to come across better. 

However Alex you may be right. I'm not pretending to be an expert on Axl's vocal condition. We know he's got something in the tank, how limited he is is yet to be seen. It's hard to watch AXLDC and GNR and not feel like there's a disconnect. Having been a fan of GNR and seeing them the last 6 years Axl has sang almost entirely consistent. He misses the same songs and nails the same songs...tough to tell exactly if it's intentional or imo vocal chords won't let him reach certain notes in certain pitches. 

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl's 2010 range was insane, I don't think he was limited by anything that year besides his desire to actually hit the notes properly. 

Imo Axl is too old to be evolving his voice and probably would love it if he could walk out every night and sing like he did in 2010...I think he would work really hard if it was something he could maintain. However I maintain that the vocal surgery theory is a high possibility

Acdc thing is crazy to me. For him to sound that good took a ton of work. However I do notice the speed at which he sings AC/DC songs is more broken up than GNR so he doesn't really have to carry the note in the same way. Still crazy he won't adjust GNR songs into a more AC/DC style to come across better. 

However Alex you may be right. I'm not pretending to be an expert on Axl's vocal condition. We know he's got something in the tank, how limited he is is yet to be seen. It's hard to watch AXLDC and GNR and not feel like there's a disconnect. Having been a fan of GNR and seeing them the last 6 years Axl has sang almost entirely consistent. He misses the same songs and nails the same songs...tough to tell exactly if it's intentional or imo vocal chords won't let him reach certain notes in certain pitches. 

I don't know man. I'm not convinced age is much of a factor. I think it's effort more than anything and professionalism. I'm sure he's fully aware of what he can and can't do at this stage of his career but when you listen to him holding ridiculous notes and clearly inunciating lyrics with heavy duty rasp on songs like Givin the Dog a Bone, I know for a fact that he's 100% capable of rasping YCBM and Paradise City at every show. 

IF he would prepare like he did for AC/DC.

I mean just listen to the control on this. Especially at the end when he changes key without even taking a breath. Just fucking INSANE. 

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

I don't know man. I'm not convinced age is much of a factor. I think it's effort more than anything and professionalism. I'm sure he's fully aware of what he can and can't do at this stage of his career but when you listen to him holding ridiculous notes and clearly inunciating lyrics with heavy duty rasp on songs like Givin the Dog a Bone, I know for a fact that he's 100% capable of rasping YCBM and Paradise City at every show. 

IF he would prepare like he did for AC/DC.

I mean just listen to the control on this. Especially at the end when he changes key without even taking a breath. Just fucking INSANE. 

Yea it's bullsh*t he can sing AC/DC songs like this and not GNR songs...for a guy to go 5 years and pretend he lost his voice then arrive in AC/DC and sound like he found a time machine is insane. 

Lots of questions here...would a vocal coach help his GNR delivery? Is singing with AC/DC doing damage to his chords? If he continues with AC/DC can he maintain this? Why does Axl hate GNR fans? 

• Like 1

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

Yea it's bullsh*t he can sing AC/DC songs like this and not GNR songs...for a guy to go 5 years and pretend he lost his voice then arrive in AC/DC and sound like he found a time machine is insane. 

Lots of questions here...would a vocal coach help his GNR delivery? Is singing with AC/DC doing damage to his chords? If he continues with AC/DC can he maintain this? Why does Axl hate GNR fans? 

Haha, I know it's frustrating. I don't think singing this way is dangerous. I mean he was consistently great for 2 hour plus shows. Plus he wasn't leaving the stage 3 times during songs for breaks. Literally singing like a beast non-stop until Angus's Let There Be Rock solo.

Who knows. I can't wait to hear him on some new material though. GN'R or AC/DC, I don't give a shit. I just can't get enough of his vocal delivery when he performs at this level. It should be immortalised on a record.

• Like 1

I definitely choose 2010, for me the best level since Axl's comeback. 
2016/2017 is good, but 2010 was simply insane. No Mickey at all, and rasp everywhere. Epic performances like Whole lotta rosie, Nice boys or nightrain which sounded very similar as they did back in the 90s.
Even though I'm happy with the way he is singing now (he has improved respecting to 2011-12) in 2010 he sounded better imo. 

I think Axl is a pro. The intensity of his performances, his cardio and running around, his face while singing all indicate effort and preparation. Also, while coming off his AC/DC performances, he didn’t sound all that different when switching back to GNR – his voice should have been in peak condition by then.

At every 2009-2010 performance I just get an impression that Axl is very aware of how much he is nailing those songs. He is digging his own performances, and pushing himself to ridiculous heights, such as that Nightrain bit, or the TWAT scream in Japan. By the time he reached the Middle East, Mickey was showing itself here and there. He probably overdid it.

Once inactivity came, consequences of the tour probably followed. Surgery or not, something clearly changed there. His abilities are very clearly diminished, though I think not as much as he makes it seem like with his performances.

Personally, I think what we call falsetto is very similar to the technique he used in the past. Whereas it once easily “caught” the rasp, id simply doesn’t happen consistently anymore. That explains a bit the oscilation between shows, and some concerts where he suddenly sounds so much closer to this other self than usual (Houston 2016, Philly 2012 and, to a lesser extent, Vegas 2014). Sometimes it clicks and it happens.

With AC/DC, on the other hand, he had to learn those songs knowing they had to sound raspy, and so he did. It’s doubtful if it would be sustainable, specially with so many shows on the line. There were moments where he faltered with AC/DC, and his  GNR performances seem to have dipped after doing that.

I think Axl can no longer perform like 2010, but he could perform better than he does. I think a lot of other things aside from vocal capability factor into his performances: clinging to old techniques, confidence issues, fear of further damage.

The only way Axl would sound better is if he stopped and actually studied a way to deliver his vocals differently to sound more similar to what he used to. He won’t do that mid tour.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AlexC said:

Wow really? I always thought they were too cheesey.

I mean positive in the sense that the song is encouraging and talking about overcoming obstacles in your way despite the traction you face. While the rest of CD is about being alone, broken hearted, or enslaved

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think Download's Festival Nightrain, back in 2006, was his best live performance of the song till now. (Probably cause of Izzy :P )

Edited by nikosgnr

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I mean positive in the sense that the song is encouraging and talking about overcoming obstacles in your way despite the traction you face. While the rest of CD is about being alone, broken hearted, or enslaved

I love depressing lyrics though.