House Of Cards Season 5

RussTCB

I normally would binge watch all 13 episodes as soon as they're released on Netfix.

I learned my lesson after the past two seasons where I was really dis-infatuated with the direction and pacing. I'll need to make sure I watch it this week.

Really hoping this isn't more Claire filler episodes or Doug deciding whether or not to kill people. 

I hope they've went back to the premise of the show, which is Frank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

I normally would binge watch all 13 episodes as soon as they're released on Netfix.

I learned my lesson after the past two seasons where I was really dis-infatuated with the direction and pacing. I'll need to make sure I watch it this week.

Really hoping this isn't more Claire filler episodes or Doug deciding whether or not to kill people. 

I hope they've went back to the premise of the show, which is Frank.

Without spoiling anything, I'll say that you get some of your wish IMO.

On 6/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, tsinindy said:

Just finished last episode of this most recent season......I'm pretty much done with this show as it's lost all it's appeal to me.   

I felt that way at the end of the last season. There were some things I liked a lot more about this season though, so I finished it. Not sure what to make of with the direction their going so I'm not sure I'll be back for next year.

• Like 2

I've also lost interest. I suppose we should've seen it coming. We can't expect Kevin Spacey to carry a show as a one dimensional mustache twirler for 5 seasons, even though that's exactly what they tried to do.

My biggest issue with this season, and pretty much every season except season 1 is that I almost never know whats going on, and nothing ever makes sense. The plot, the politics, the writing is all some of the worst I've ever seen, but Spacey really elevates the material into slightly watchable territory.

I dunno, Season 1 felt way less whacky and confused than any of the other seasons, and you could actually follow his path to VP. It was quality TV, and sadly is the crutch that the following seasons lean on. 

The best thing about this newer season, over all the others, is that it has finally embraced its schlocky nonsense enough to have some humor. "One nation... Underwood" had me dyin

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

On 2017-6-7 at 11:18 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I'm kind of feeling like that too tbh.

Has anyone seen the original English House of Cards? My stepdad was telling me it's much better.

P.S. Watch The 100. @tsinindy

Watched one episode, couldn't bring myself to watch another at the time. I thought it was quite boring. But I think I'm gonna give it another try.

Watched 3/4 of the season. Up to episode 10, no idea how the season ends...

However this is just so boring and slow. It suffers from the fact that they know you're binge watching it. The result is (without knowing how this ends) that every season except 1 has been filler and they're drawing out the plot to stretch over 13 episodes.

For all Game of Thrones faults, when I watch an episode I'm looking forward to the next week to see where it's going. With this, I think to myself "how many of these episodes are there to go?". A TV show shouldn't be a chore to watch and every previous season could have cut out at least 5 episodes.

It'd serve itself better as a mini-series in the same vein as the original with a direction.

I know there's people arguing about the shows relevance and it being behind times, given how Trump's shenanigans in real life seem less realistic than this show. I don't think would be problem if the show wasn't boring.

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, Leisure Suit said:

I guess the series has gotten out of limits for my logic..

This.

Seasons 1 and 2 were semi-realistic political thrillers with sprinklings of modernity and a bit of murder. But now, the fantasticalness of the story is way out of hand.

The show should have followed a 3 season arc IMO: Frank masterminding his revenge, Frank abusing power as president, Frank going down (hard). Instead, seasons 3 and 4 sort of floundered in campaigning and other stereotypical political nonsense, and now Frank has gone down softly. And everyone gets to be president! Next up, Freddie for VP.

• Like 1

Better than Season 3 and 4, but pacing was terrible and certainly some stupid things transpired.

I'll continue to watch until they end it, but I'm hoping it won't take long. It's run its course now.

All that would make the next season particularly interesting is the Underwood's turning against each other internally and Frank trying to take down Claire so they both go down in flames.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the show is finally ending;

‘House of Cards’ creators announce series will end amid Kevin Spacey allegations

Netflix claims the decision has been in the pipeline for some time 

House of Cards will come to an end with a sixth and final season amid allegations of Kevin Spacey’s sexual misconduct, it has been reported. 

The hit political drama ended its fifth season on a cliff-hanger and fans have been eagerly waiting for the show's next instalment. 

Netflix has claimed the decision had been in the pipeline for some time and was actually made months ago. 

The timing of the announcement however comes less than 24 hours after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey, the lead actor in House of Cards, of making an unwanted sexual advances when he was 14-years-old. 

In a response to the allegations, Netflix and Media Rights Capital released a joint statement: “Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.

"In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

Spacey also released a statement in response to the allegations saying he was “beyond horrified” by the story. 

“I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” Spacey said. 

Spacey then went on to confirm one of Hollywood's worst kept secrets, that he is, in fact, gay. 

"This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life." he continued. 

"I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.

Writers, actors and other high profile figures in Hollywood have been critical of the statement and how Spacey appeared to try and deflect the incident by coming out as gay for the first time.

Comedian Cameron Esposito tweeted: "Just wanna be really f*****g clear that being gay has nothing to do w/ going after underage folks."

Actress Rose McGowan, who claims she was raped by Harvey Weinstein, wrote: "Bye bye, Spacey goodbye, it's your turn to cry, that's why we've gotta say goodbye." (Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.)

Source:http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/kevin-spacey-house-of-cards-ending-a8028421.html

-edit-

Bit of an update, Netflix have now decided to suspend production on the season. So the final season might not even happen now. Apparently people are saying everyone knew about Spacey.

So this show that went too long/went in circles, won't even have an ending.

Edited by AtariLegend

It seems now that there's speculation they might continue the show with Claire as the focus of the show.

Screw that, just end it! Even if Spacey wasn't up to stuff, the show's ran it's course and Claire is one of the worst parts of the show.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2017 at 6:56 PM, AtariLegend said:

Looks like the show is finally ending;

‘House of Cards’ creators announce series will end amid Kevin Spacey allegations

Netflix claims the decision has been in the pipeline for some time 

House of Cards will come to an end with a sixth and final season amid allegations of Kevin Spacey’s sexual misconduct, it has been reported. 

The hit political drama ended its fifth season on a cliff-hanger and fans have been eagerly waiting for the show's next instalment. 

Netflix has claimed the decision had been in the pipeline for some time and was actually made months ago. 

The timing of the announcement however comes less than 24 hours after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey, the lead actor in House of Cards, of making an unwanted sexual advances when he was 14-years-old. 

In a response to the allegations, Netflix and Media Rights Capital released a joint statement: “Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.

"In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

Spacey also released a statement in response to the allegations saying he was “beyond horrified” by the story. 

“I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” Spacey said. 

Spacey then went on to confirm one of Hollywood's worst kept secrets, that he is, in fact, gay. 

"This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life." he continued. 

"I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.

Writers, actors and other high profile figures in Hollywood have been critical of the statement and how Spacey appeared to try and deflect the incident by coming out as gay for the first time.

Comedian Cameron Esposito tweeted: "Just wanna be really f*****g clear that being gay has nothing to do w/ going after underage folks."

Actress Rose McGowan, who claims she was raped by Harvey Weinstein, wrote: "Bye bye, Spacey goodbye, it's your turn to cry, that's why we've gotta say goodbye." (Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.)

Source:http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/kevin-spacey-house-of-cards-ending-a8028421.html

-edit-

Bit of an update, Netflix have now decided to suspend production on the season. So the final season might not even happen now. Apparently people are saying everyone knew about Spacey.

So this show that went too long/went in circles, won't even have an ending.

I think the only solution for a season 6 to even happen is if they kill off his character....possibly even in the first episode or two.  I can't see them having Spacey in the entire season...way too much baggage...all people would do is think about the allegations anytime he's on screen. 

Edited by Kasanova King