Sign in to follow this  
Silent Jay

Phantom Thread (Daniel Day-Lewis's final film)

It looks like Daniel Day Lewis quits acting and has one final film awaiting release, an untitled drama set in the world of high fashion. It is scheduled to hit theaters on December 25, 2017 and reunites him with Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Day-Lewis to a best actor Oscar in 2007’s “There Will Be Blood.” 

JS119413001-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqbiOg

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/daniel-day-lewis-quits-acting-oscar-winner-1202472766/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/02/01/daniel-day-lewis-spotted-whitby-paul-thomas-anderson-filming/

Will he go extra batshit for this one for a last hurrah?

Edited by AxlisOld
  • Like 1

I miss the young, maverick PTA. The PTA that made Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Those movie had tremendous warmth to them.

In the last decade, he's become enamored with coldness and alienation. His films have become very challenging. So much so that the central feeling he leaves his audience is "why?" 

Why does this talented young man have a burning desire to tell this story? Why The Master (I've grown to love it, but was so turned off upon release)? Why Inherent Vice (don't like Pynchon)? Now this. What does he want us to take away? It's a very confused feeling, none the less highlighted by the fact that he's no longer given us climaxes or endings to his films. They just sort of wind down until the credits.

To me, this was the point where PTA has finally, truly, made a play. This isn't a film. Despite his immense skill behind the camera and his instincts that carry him a tremendous distance. this story called for none of that. It's about tension, pretension and frilly-things.

Dan Lewis has a quote in the film that summed up the entire experience for me: "There is an air of quiet death in this house..." So right, Dan. This movie was the equivalent of spending two hours and ten minutes in a funeral parlor. Everything was prim, proper, cold and entirely lifeless.