Unpopular opinion: NuGNR were better than this "reunion" of half measures.

Towelie

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Let's be honest, Axl Rose has single handedly ruined Guns N Roses.

Wrong in the first sentence already. As far as I know, Axl was the one least into drugs back then. They all did their part. Don't know why people keep writing this bullshit. ;)

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 2

For anyone who is a lover of new music, things have never been worse than they are right now for this band.

Yes, that is the important thing to me, too. Classic guns existed in a limited period of time. It is now gone. It can't be recreated even if the same guys came back together. Because thye arent't really the same guys. Nor are we. The context has changed. They are distanced from who they were in the 80s, and so are we. It is gone and it is dead and long live the memories. So I couldn't care less if the lineup consists of 2 of those guys, or 3 of them, or even 5 - it still simply won't be the same. At least not to us who actually lived through that time and don't simply know the band from youtube and yearn for a period they never got to experience. The passion that drove them, the interplay that came fron hungry musicians living and breathing together, living under the streets, the raw feelings and controverses, lyrics that resonate with a specific time -- it can just never be recreated by these 5 guys again. It might superficially look like that band, or superficially sound like it, but it won't ever be that band. So if we want that real 1980s GN'R experience, with warts and all, we'd be better off with a lineup consisting of new hungry guys who resembled the band members back then, rather than a bunch of bloated, musical celebrities who come together from their mansions to do corporate nostalgia tours.

That's what I was hoping for with nuGuns. That it was comprised of guys who felt they had everything to prove. And felt the weight of the band legacy on their shoulders so that whatever they created would be good and interesting and take the band somewhere new. And with Axl there to create that important sonical connection to previous records. To make it an actual continuance. Now, with this lineup, I fear the best we can ever get is a live record from nostalgia tours. And I am happy for those that take pleasure in this watered-down version of the band, wteher they realize it or not, I am genuinly happy for all those that felt that this lineup was everything they wanted, to me it is just a step backwards, or rather a large step in absolutely no direction at all.

• Like 3

Let's be honest, Axl Rose has single handedly ruined Guns N Roses. With anyone else at the healm, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven/Matt could've gone on to make multiple albums, and functioned like any other normal band, who release a record, tour it and then repeat the cycle. 

It is because of Axl Rose and his obvious mental health issues that this never happened for Guns.

With anyone else at the helm, GN'R would never have been as great in the first place.

• Like 1

everything "new" is a disappointment anyway. fuck, the times i've been disappointed in overhyped "new" stuff.

terminator 3, duke nukem forever, music from another dimension, the A team movie, metal gear solid 4, just about any "new" music being released today by anyone...

even winter isn't what it used to be, it's becoming too fucking hot for any kind of snow...

new sucks. god bless that bittersweet nostalgia where everything smells like roses

Edited by action
  • Like 2

I think the OP was trying to make the point that this reunion is a money grab and doesn't feel "real," an argument made 10,000 times on this forum. He just went with a click-bait thread title to stand out from the pack.

As someone who was there the first night in Vegas, the glow of the reunion has worn off. The band is boring right now.

56 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

Wrong in the first sentence already. As far as I know, Axl was the one least into drugs back then. They all did their part. Don't know why people keep writing this bullshit. ;)

Slash and Duff got their shit together years ago. It is Axl who has prevented this band from moving forward like a normal band.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

to me it is just a step backwards, or rather a large step in absolutely no direction at all.

I don't agree with that last bit, NuGuns had basically ground to a halt before the reunion anyway, with the line up changes and endless touring. I don't think they had much left in them really and the excitement of the early days of NuGuns had long gone, so this is definitely a step up from that. I also think this line up WILL do something worthy of the name if/when they get in a studio but the point you make about it can NEVER truly be the same band now, even if all 5 were there is absolutely spot on. One of the best posts I've read in terms of nailing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Slash and Duff got their shit together years ago. It is Axl who has prevented this band from moving forward like a normal band.

How? Axl already had other musicians at that time. And as far as their breakup is regarded, all did their part.

Edited by Zurimor

Never in my life would I have expected someone on this board to say that NuGuns was better than something involving Slash AND Duff. I'm playing the lottery today because the odds of that are nuts.

More to the point, yes, they were more interesting musically and I really wish they got off the ground, but it makes sense to have Axl & Slash back together - this coming from one of the biggest NuGuns supporters out there (me). 

Also, complain all you want about about Izzy & Adler being gone, but Adler would NEVER be able to handle something of this magnitude and Izzy wants no part in it, boo hoo. 

46 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Also, complain all you want about about Izzy & Adler being gone, but Adler would NEVER be able to handle something of this magnitude and Izzy wants no part in it, boo hoo. 

Both arguable points but either way they could have gotten worthy people for those spots..

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

You are now @Graeme s hero

I've mostly given up on any GN'R discussion on the forum, plenty of people have made it quite clear that there's no room for mature discussion with anyone about preferring a line-up sans Duff and Slash or talking about the period of following the band that they did enjoy.

It's not "Well, I disagree with you, but I'm sure you have your reasons, what are they?"

It's "You're a fucking moron and you can take your bullshit opinion and fuck the fuck off, while everyone laughs at you". There's nothing enjoyable about a discussion like that, so why bother?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I've mostly given up on any GN'R discussion on the forum, plenty of people have made it quite clear that there's no room for mature discussion with anyone about preferring a line-up sans Duff and Slash or talking about the period of following the band that they did enjoy.

It's not "Well, I disagree with you, but I'm sure you have your reasons, what are they?"

It's "You're a fucking moron and you can take your bullshit opinion and fuck the fuck off, while everyone laughs at you". There's nothing enjoyable about a discussion like that, so why bother?

Yeah, I miss the old new GNR

How amazing was Glasgow 06?

3 minutes ago, appetite for illusions said:

Yeah, I miss the old new GNR

How amazing was Glasgow 06?

Haha, exactly! I've been to hundreds of gigs and Glasgow '06 was the best I've ever seen by a long way. Definitely enough to cement that line-up as my favourite forever.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Both arguable points but either way they could have gotten worthy people for those spots..

Fortus has been there forever and does well, I have no complaints about Melissa. 

Luckiest dude ever is Frank, a man who said in no specific terms that GNR was a paycheck for him and, since they weren't getting Adler or Sorum, he got to hang around and drum for one of the biggest reunions of all time. 

2 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Fortus has been there forever and does well, I have no complaints about Melissa. 

Luckiest dude ever is Frank, a man who said in no specific terms that GNR was a paycheck for him and, since they weren't getting Adler or Sorum, he got to hang around and drum for one of the biggest reunions of all time. 

Fortus' tenure during the obsolete years means nothing to me personally.  But yes,  if I could pick one to go it would definitely be Frank solely because he is the one with the biggest negative impact on the music.. That is what matters most to be.. As much as I can't stand Melissa's presence at least she pretty much has zero impact on the music ;)

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Fuck off, you are wrong

(Just kidding, we love you Graeme!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

this is a perfect comment.

7 hours ago, J Dog said:

Axl, Slash,Duff vs. Axl, Bumblefoot, Dj Ashba. I'll Axl, Slash, Duff.

As someone who thought I would never see one of my favorite singers and one of my favorite guitarist on stage together playing my favorite songs, I love it.

Axl, Slash, Duff vs. Axl, Robin, Buckethead, Tommy.... now that would be an interesting question. 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I do have to say that we've come a long way in cleaning a lot of that up around here though. I completely agree that it used to be that way, it we've done a lot of work to reverse that. It's not perfect, but o honestly feel that it's a lot better. 

16 hours ago, Towelie said:

Let's be honest, Axl Rose has single handedly ruined Guns N Roses. With anyone else at the healm, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven/Matt could've gone on to make multiple albums, and functioned like any other normal band, who release a record, tour it and then repeat the cycle. 

It is because of Axl Rose and his obvious mental health issues that this never happened for Guns. 

For anyone who is a lover of new music, things have never been worse than they are right now for this band. Admittedly, things were far from perfect with NuGNR, but at least they never purported to be the same band as the original lineup.

When Ron, Tommy and Pitman were still in the band, the CD songs at least had some links to the band who wrote and played on the album. I understand that these guys had nothing to do with the original legendary GNR material, but then you could argue that the current lineup had about as much to do with the creation of songs like Don't Cry, Double Talkin Jive, Out Ta Get Me and Patience as Ron Thal and Tommy Stinson did. It all boils down to the simple fact that a GNR reunion played out with class and integrity is simply not possible without Izzy Stradlin on board. 

What we have now is three guys coasting off the legacy instead of just one, and three random people filling in for the other two who should be there. 

What's worse is, they are marketing this as a reunion, when it is anything but. For some reason, seeing a hyperactive blue haired EDM chic sharing the same stage as Slash, whilst bouncing up and down to Welcome To The Jungle like Tigger on a Pogo stick feels even more disingenuous than anything NuGNR did. At least NuGuns never purported to be the original band and never marketed themselves as such.

What's perhaps the most disillusioning of all, is seeing Slash and Duff now happy to sell this as Guns N Roses. I remember Velvet Revolver dressing up as NuGNR once for a Halloween show and it said it all. Now they have become part of the facade and it's kind of sad to witness.

axl decided to name his solo career as "GNR" and that has got to be one of the most embarassing things that ever happened in the music business

that move was beyond embarassing and pathetic -- it was downright offensive to everyone that ever listened to GNR

this embarassing threunion guns n aliens tour is doing the very same thing, using the name GNR and for something that clearly is not GNR

but since it has 3 GNR people involved on it, its actually not that bad -- specially when compared to axl solo career "GNR"

PS: you forgot one. there are FOUR aliens (and not three) on this nonsense tour

• Like 2