The True Story Behind Don't Damn Me!

58 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

Hey man, awesome work as always! Can I get a source on Dave Lank writing the majority of the lyrics to Don't Damn Me? 

thanks man! I'm trying to find it. I recorded this months ago, once i track it down I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

Hey man, awesome work as always! Can I get a source on Dave Lank writing the majority of the lyrics to Don't Damn Me? 

Found it! I shouldve included it in the description box so mick walls book last of the giants claims dave lank wrote some of the lyrics 

57 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

Found it! I shouldve included it in the description box so mick walls book last of the giants claims dave lank wrote some of the lyrics 

Hmm sounds vague. 

The lyrics sound extremely Axl and very specific to Axl's situation. Very similar to Garden of Eden. I would believe that Axl collaborated with Dave Lank on the lyrics, but until someone asks Axl, Slash, or Duff I think it's a stretch to say that Dave Lank wrote the majority of the lyrics. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

Hmm sounds vague. 

The lyrics sound extremely Axl and very specific to Axl's situation. Very similar to Garden of Eden. I would believe that Axl collaborated with Dave Lank on the lyrics, but until someone asks Axl, Slash, or Duff I think it's a stretch to say that Dave Lank wrote the majority of the lyrics. 

There was a thread about this a while ago and it was Dave Lanks wife who claimed he had written most of the lyrics for the song. 

19 hours ago, sidman69 said:

Back with another episode and one of the most requested use your illusion songs, don't damn me 

Well done! I enjoyed it. I also noticed you used my site, Apppetite for Discussion, as a source and with a screenshot. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

Hmm sounds vague. 

His wife talked about it on a forum some years ago IIRC. But there are several factors you have to take into consideration here. Since neither of us is familiar with Dave Lanks style of writing lyrics apart from this song there is a high probability it's his lyrics. Axl claimed in a 1989 interview he and him are best friends who grew up together and are basically the same person. Don't think it's a stretch to believe there are other people in the world, especially from Axls really close circle who would write lyrics like him, and for him as in this case. On top of that, there would be no reason for Daves wife to go on a random online forum and bullshit about this. If it was some kind of big attention seeking post I would be sceptical, but it was just a small mention in some thread on some (VR?) forum. Good work sid for finding something obscure like that.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

His wife talked about it on a forum some years ago IIRC. But there are several factors you have to take into consideration here. Since neither of us is familiar with Dave Lanks style of writing lyrics apart from this song there is a high probability it's his lyrics. Axl claimed in a 1989 interview he and him are best friends who grew up together and are basically the same person. Don't think it's a stretch to believe there are other people in the world, especially from Axls really close circle who would write lyrics like him, and for him as in this case. On top of that, there would be no reason for Daves wife to go on a random online forum and bullshit about this. If it was some kind of big attention seeking post I would be sceptical, but it was just a small mention in some thread on some (VR?) forum. Good work sid for finding something obscure like that.

Here are some of his lyrics for the band Mank Rage

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=37216.msg702251#msg702251

• Like 1

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Not much like Axl then. 

Yes, I don't see much similarity either.

I'm reading the thread now (there some more bits of his lyrics below) and, from what I understand, Mank Rage were planning to release an album then and Dave Lank's wife/friends were promoting the demos to the GnR forums, so maybe for this purpose she exaggerated a bit about his contribution on Don't Damn Me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well done! I enjoyed it. I also noticed you used my site, Apppetite for Discussion, as a source and with a screenshot. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

Dude! I love your site, it makes the true story episodes so much easier to research. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

thanks man! It's also mentioned in Mick Wall's new book Last of the Giants that Dave wrote at least part of the lyrics on the song too. 

5 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

thanks man! It's also mentioned in Mick Wall's new book Last of the Giants that Dave wrote at least part of the lyrics on the song too. 

It's evident he helped or contributed in the lyrics, since he got songwriting credit. What is disputable is if he wrote the majority of the lyrics like his wife said.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

For what it's worth in the summer of 1991 my brother and a friend were given a photocopy of handwritten lyrics to Don't Damn Me.  They were given to him by an engineer at Royal Recorder studios in Lake Geneva Wisconsin.  Supposedly they were mixing or doing some recording the weekend they opened the Use Your Illusions tour at Alpine Valley.  That is the studio Skid Row recorded.

Of course we have no idea where that paper is but if I ever find it I'll scan it and attach it to this thread.

12 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sorry, who is DAVID LANK