War for the Planet of the Apes

Dan H.

Good movie, but not great as I expected.

I prefer 2, my gf prefer the first.

In the first 2, theres emotion, and you can sympathize at the point of view of the humans and apes(especially Dawn). Here, though it is still present, it just felt flat. The story is simple too. The ending isnt as epic as many reviews are saying. Theres more "war" and excitement in the first 2. 

Its not a bad movie, in fact, its very good. Just not the blockbuster of the year as many critics are saying. I enjoyed Spidey more. 

The CGI is superb though, one of the best. The music is still good, though 2 is still better. 

I give it 7/10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the new film.

Dawn is still the best by far and away, but War is still better than Rise IMO.

I had a few hangups with War. "Bad Ape" was very Jar Jar Binks esque. The film was very very heavy and bleak, and the comic relief Bad Ape provided almost always seemed poorly timed or inappropriate for the situation.

The concentration camp stuff was a little obvious and heavy handed. I also thought that while Woody Harrelson wasn't quite made into a one dimensional military beefhead cartoon, he didn't have as much of a character as the lead humans in the other two films, and was not nearly as interesting of a villain as Koba.

That being said the film looked great, had an efficient flow, good drama and emotions, great acting, and neat sets. It tied everything off a well as it could, and I was satisfied with its resolution.

Rise is a 7/10 for me. Dawn 9/10, War a 7.5 or maybe an 8/10

Great series, and a tie for my favorite blockbuster this year next to GotG 2

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to seeing this tonight.  Funny enough, I saw Rise with my wife on our second date six years to the date.  

For me I think this was my favourite of the three.  It was definitely the darkest of the three films and does a good job at tying everything up.  Also nice nod to the original films with the naming of Caesar's second son.  

Easily the best trilogy in a very long while.