Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion Thread *NO Spoilers*

8 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

He's done nothing since he killed Lysa towards the end of season 4 anyway.

When they pivoted away from Littlefinger's master plan (when the show was still an adaption) to someone stupid enough to give Sansa (the key to his plans) to the Boltons, it was over.

I know some people defended it, but both his and Sansa's arcs have been pretty brutal for a few seasons now.

Roughly the same ending might have even been good, if it had had a logical build and a better setup. Now it's just... rushed. Like everything. I do like the idea of Sansa and Arya figuring him out over time. 

5 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I get that Littlefinger wants to be "King of the Ashes" but he wasn't really getting anywhere near the throne. So what the hell as he doing dicking around in Winterfell?

You know since they abandoned his book scheming, I'm none the wiser.

I mean clearly this was going no where. Was D/D's thinking that he really just wanted to bang Sansa? He wasn't making progress on that front either.

3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I think they ran out of ideas and killed him off.

I think like Atari said, they basically ditched his grand scheme since none of it really shows up in the show anyway and basically just kept him around long enough to kill him just so they could have that "big" death in the finale. 

He thought that he still had Sansa in his hands. After Arya he'd try to deal with Jon. What else could've he done? Go back to Cersei? I get what they wanted but the execution of the whole plot in Winterfell was average at best

Edited by Nicklord

9 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

You know since they abandoned his book scheming, I'm none the wiser.

I mean clearly this was going no where. Was D/D's thinking that he really just wanted to bang Sansa? He wasn't making progress on that front either.

Littlefinger always advanced his plan by having others fight his battles for him.  It appeared to me that his plan was to endear himself to Sansa by pitting her against Arya with the eventual plan to become Warden of the North while Danny and Cersei took each other out.  Problem for Littlefinger was the Jon surviving the Battle of the Bastards and becoming the King of the North.  Perhaps the calculation was that Danny would remove that obstacle for him and end up taking care of Jon should he not do what she wanted.  

But I do agree that the storyline didn't really work in the way that I think D/D wanted it to.  It probably looked better on paper than it did on screen.  The storyline telegraphed the twist we got at the end.  The Sansa-Arya relationship this season was characterized with suspicion and tension but it felt like a setup and forced for the viewer from the get-go.  It just seemed inevitable their new three-eyed raven brother would tell both sisters the 411 on Littlefinger's plans.  

Overall I enjoyed the finale but felt the entire season was a little too predictable.  For a show/story that is defined by undermining expectations, this season went as one might imagine (save for less deaths of well known characters).  Ultimately, I think it succeeded in setting up the final chapter of the story.  Whereas after season six I think most had good idea where things were headed in season 7, other than team the Night King eating it somehow and the Cleganbowl I have little idea what's going to happen.  

At the very least, this season brought us the glorious battle between Danny/Drogon and Jamie's army.  

Jon and Dany won't be driven apart, even if he is a Targaryen and the heir to the chair.

The story is called A Song of Ice and Fire, right? It'd be stupid to call it that if Jon (ice) and Dany (fire) would end up despising eachother, right?

Fire melts ice, ice turns to water, water puts out fire. Season 8.

16 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Jon and Dany won't be driven apart, even if he is a Targaryen and the heir to the chair.

The story is called A Song of Ice and Fire, right? It'd be stupid to call it that if Jon (ice) and Dany (fire) would end up despising eachother, right?

Fire melts ice, ice turns to water, water puts out fire. Season 8.

I see iced and burnt child and death of parents in S8... also death of all dragons/direwolves left...

And hope for mad queen as winner of Game of thrones with rest of characters hanging on the walls of King's Landing...

It would be pretty terrible if a character who in the books anyway isn't even on the same continent as most of the characters/stories for 6/7 books to sweep in at the end with a foreign army to be the savior.

The show's decision to white wash or black wash certain characters completely changes who they are.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:20 PM, AslatIE said:

George;

I mean... Fire is love, fire is passion, fire is sexual ardor and all of these things. Ice is betrayal, ice is revenge, ice is… you know, that kind of cold inhumanity and all that stuff is being played out in the books.

(House of the Undying, referring to his other child Aegon) Rhaegar;

"Aegon. What better name for a king... He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"

Speaking of Rhaegar, how silly was it to finally cast a character to play him after 7 seasons only just to put a random extra in a Visery's wig and have him and Lyanna get married under a religion which neither followed.

If George really planned for Jon to be called Aegon, it's a really bad twist. One that would make no sense in the book.

41 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

It would be pretty terrible if a character who in the books anyway isn't even on the same continent as most of the characters/stories for 6/7 books to sweep in at the end with a foreign army to be the savior.

The show's decision to white wash or black wash certain characters completely changes who they are.

George;

I mean... Fire is love, fire is passion, fire is sexual ardor and all of these things. Ice is betrayal, ice is revenge, ice is… you know, that kind of cold inhumanity and all that stuff is being played out in the books.

(House of the Undying, referring to his other child Aegon) Rhaegar;

"Aegon. What better name for a king... He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"

Speaking of Rhaegar, how silly was it to finally cast a character to play him after 7 seasons only just to put a random extra in a Visery's wig and have him and Lyanna get married under a religion which neither followed.

If George really planned for Jon to be called Aegon, it's a really bad twist. One that would make no sense in the book.

Wasn't Viserys described to have copied his brother's looks?

Jon Targaryen would've been so much better, even Jaeherys or Jaegon.

I was just going over a few old chapters randomly from the books.

The penultimate chapter from A Storm Of Swords from Sansa's point of view when Littlefinger tells Lysa he's only loved one women, Cat. Then shoves her out the moon door and tells Sansa to open the door for the guards, because the singer killed Lysa is just glorious. This was made for TV. Honestly to me it was when the show was at it's best, but of course they had to get cute even there and not include Marillion at that point in the show. Resulting in them telling the Lords of the Vale Lysa just conveniently committed suicide instead of Littlefinger/Sansa blaming Marllion.

Even the best moments from Season 3/4 they just add to change little things/lines to make things worse or introduce plot holes.

Not having Roose say "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" during the red wedding was just a silly change. They obviously only changed the line, because they didn't want viewers to get confused.

Another beat I also think they missed was the Pink Letter. It's really a fist pumping moment in the books when Jon gives that speech to the Night's Watch about finally marching south against Ramsay before getting stabbed, then the mystery over the letter. They could have done that seen, in spite of all the other silly changes they made that season. Just take out, let's say the Missandei/Grey Worm show only nonsense and there, you have some extra time. They could have came up with others ways to get Missandei naked, without the silly time filling sub plot.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...