Is this GNR doable? “I just shot him an e-mail ‘Let’s write some songs together'. Next thing you know, he’s here and in 3 hours we had written 2 songs"

“I just shot him an e-mail and said, ‘C’mon, let’s write some songs together for my new record,'” he told Eddie Trunk (via Blabbermouth.) “Next thing you know, he’s down here [at my house in Rancho Santa Fe, California] and within three hours we had written two songs together, which was, like, a record, for me and him. We ate in the backyard while I was watering my palm trees. [Laughs] He was going to [my fiancée] Rachel, ‘This is something new I’ve never seen before.’ He’s eating a sandwich and I’m watering a palm tree in my backyard. But it was a lot of fun.”

This is Ace Frehley explaining how he wrote 2 songs with Gene Simmons in a few hours.

According to Ace, it is possible to have a good time in the process!

Can GNR (or whatever is left of it) ever do something like this, you know, like... huh... write songs?

Full story on how people write music with shocking details on how extenuating and time consuming it can be = http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ace-frehley-gene-simmons-songwriting-details/

I think the music could be done in a short time frame, they'll have ideas kicking around already that just need fleshing out together I'm sure. If you want Axl to add vocals then I just don't think it's possible to work this fast. I have no doubt that Axl could write songs with the guys within a matter of hours if he wanted to, it's just the whole recording, mixing, mastering, & releasing which grinds GNR to a complete and utter stop :shrugs:

• Like 1

Anything is possible, but Its fucking Guns N Roses (3/5ths of it) we're talking about. They've always had trouble getting into the studio from Day 1 for one reason or the other. Getting there is the problem, once there they have shown they can get things done rather quick. Then mixing and mastering becomes a long drawn out process for them as well. 

The huge question mark is Axl of course. How badly does he want to do it. And once there, can he fucking deliver and be inspired by the music to write some good/great lyrics..And also how much control or direction does he want to concede to his bandmates?  We know Slash and Duff have ideas in the bag along with Richard and Frank. We know Izzy always has songs as well, but to what extent he'll be involved in a GNR studio album, if at all is something we have no answer for either. 

So its a big fucking who knows:shrugs: And the usual going in circles speculating this that and the other. 

• Like 1

They may have been working on new songs but Axl has to be the one to talk about new GNR music and when it's coming out. They're not going to need advance money when most of them have home studios and the way of making records has changed since ChiDem, plus the money made from this tour would more than cover it. 

Gene and Ace were doing what Duff and Izzy have done for years. 

Between what Axl had for "ChiDem II" and Slash and Duff had for VR with Kushner and Sorum is probably 3 CDs worth of music. Interscope isn't going to get in the way of a new GNR project this time, not the same people running it (side note, new documentary about Dre and Jimmy Iovine coming out, not sure if GNR's mentioned in it). 

6 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Anything is possible, but Its fucking Guns N Roses (3/5ths of it) we're talking about. They've always had trouble getting into the studio from Day 1 for one reason or the other. Getting there is the problem, once there they have shown they can get things done rather quick. Then mixing and mastering becomes a long drawn out process for them as well. 

The huge question mark is Axl of course. How badly does he want to do it. And once there, can he fucking deliver and be inspired by the music to write some good/great lyrics..And also how much control or direction does he want to concede to his bandmates?  We know Slash and Duff have ideas in the bag along with Richard and Frank. We know Izzy always has songs as well, but to what extent he'll be involved in a GNR studio album, if at all is something we have no answer for either. 

So its a big fucking who knows:shrugs: And the usual going in circles speculating this that and the other. 

C'mon, Slash, Duff and Matt proved that they had no problems to create new melodic stuff. The problems were always the lyrics and a top notch singer. And since Axl didn't show up at studio rehearsals since 1994, he was always the main problem. Instead we got a patchwork album called CD. 

My theory is that the process that made GNR songs special was having 2 or 3 writers in the mix or labouring over the songs. So that was the status quo. 

Whereas Aerosmith, Kiss always wrote more off the cuff in the first place. So that's what it was. 

Still though if Izzy brings in his 9 demos and Slash plays on them and Axl could get into it. But that's more a final product. 

But that was probably just Ace saying that when high. I think it's something that could happen with Slash and Izzy. Axl is always going to be a studio pimp. His lyrics are always personal and considered and not really about his lifestyle like Izzy lyrics. 

If Slash and Duff tricked Axl into singing on Izzy's solo album and then they release it as GNR, that's how it could happen. 

6 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

They may have been working on new songs but Axl has to be the one to talk about new GNR music and when it's coming out. They're not going to need advance money when most of them have home studios and the way of making records has changed since ChiDem, plus the money made from this tour would more than cover it. 

Gene and Ace were doing what Duff and Izzy have done for years. 

Between what Axl had for "ChiDem II" and Slash and Duff had for VR with Kushner and Sorum is probably 3 CDs worth of music. Interscope isn't going to get in the way of a new GNR project this time, not the same people running it (side note, new documentary about Dre and Jimmy Iovine coming out, not sure if GNR's mentioned in it). 

from everything we know thus far, that would require Sorum and Izzy back in the band in order to happen.

44 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

from everything we know thus far, that would require Sorum and Izzy back in the band in order to happen.

Izzy, yes. Sorum, nop. Have you ever listened to his solo stuff? Its terrible. 

And he is as robotic as Frank so no reason why Sorum should be ever involved in the band again. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2414225 said:

C'mon, Slash, Duff and Matt proved that they had no problems to create new melodic stuff. The problems were always the lyrics and a top notch singer. And since Axl didn't show up at studio rehearsals since 1994, he was always the main problem. Instead we got a patchwork album called CD. 

But there's still better melodies and songs on CD than on VR mostly. Fall to Pieces might make it on CD. Slither could replace Riad maybe. 

1 hour ago, default_ said:

Izzy, yes. Sorum, nop. Have you ever listened to his solo stuff? Its terrible. 

And he is as robotic as Frank so no reason why Sorum should be ever involved in the band again. 

The best music was recorded with Sorum in the band.

Have you heard Ax solo stuff? It was called Chinese Democracy and was terrible.

As for Sorum solo, I was reffering to him as drummer not solo singer. In case you missed UYI era, check out ytb, there is plenty of stuff from the past.

And yes...as far as new music is considered...Slash/Duff/Izzy have all had history of working with Matt and will take him over Frank any day.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The truth is, Axl doesn't care for Slash's penchant for cock-rock and Slash doesn't care for Axl's nine minute Stephanie Seymour ballads.

That's why they needed another primary songwriter (Izzy Stradlin) on board, because Axl and Slash are pulling in such different directions. I would be very surprised if Axl/Slash/Duff managed to pull off a truly collaborative album of brand new music together at this stage.

The most realistic scenario is a 2nd Slash album featuring Axl on 2 songs.