The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

2 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm not so sure. I thought even Angus failed to bring out his A game this time.

If you're comparing it to 2010 I doubt we'll get it that good again. He is much more capable than he's currently displaying, though. 

Edited by Jw224

4 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm not so sure. I thought even Angus failed to bring out his A game this time.

When I say taking it easy, I mean in general, as in not warming up and making sure his rasp is on point consistently for every show like he did for AC/DC. When you sing the way Axl does, In order to get that sharp sound, you have to warm up correctly for at least 45 minutes in order to get a consistent glottal compression. He's obviously not doing that anymore. But it's understandable, I mean the tour already has rave reviews and he's already blown away expectations through his AC/DC performances last year. Plus, any live release they're planning on putting out has probably already been recorded so he's most likely just enjoying the rest of the tour without the pressure of having to maintain an intense work ethic between shows.

Edited by AlexC

He seems to sing with a lot of control and has been bringing up the long notes but the vocals are weaker than last year. Even heard cracking/shrill during the NR outro recently. Ofc, some songs he can't do justice at the moment.

Edited by AFGnR

2 minutes ago, koldweather said:

Yeah he is just vocally tired, I think its fair to say the ACDC legs did a number on his vocal chops, especially the NA leg of that tour. Ever since then he has been steadily getting more airy in his tone and cracking more often.

Or it could be the 119 shows just taking its toll a little bit 

2 minutes ago, Mark1989 said:

Or it could be the 119 shows just taking its toll a little bit 

True, but the fall in his vocals has been very noticeable from the NA ACDC leg and the subsequent legs. There has also been some small but increasingly noticeable drop off over the last 3 legs of the tour with Guns as well.

Can't deny there was a big difference in the quality of his vocals from the NA leg to the SA leg and there wasn't a huge time difference...the only difference was the ACDC leg inbetween. 

Wait for the new AC/DC album and tour: he will go full rasp and sing like motherfucker. It´s gonna be fucking tough album, I tell you that. Too bad he doesn´t want to try that with Guns, but it is what it is. 

Edited by Loot Man
  • Like 1

This may be a stupid question but could high humidity be better for Axl's voice and rasp?  I ask because Houston is always mentioned as a great performance and it is notoriously humid there (I know the roof was closed but I don't think large stadium Air Conditioning systems lower the humidity like your home AC.

Then I was thinking back to the show in Orlando that I attended.  He sounded pretty good on a lot of the songs people usually complain about and it was ridiculously humid that night.  I certainly don't think it is the only thing that effects his voice but could it be a factor in how he sounds?

Just a theory but I was thinking about a quote from Axl where he mentioned how he hates his vocal work on GNR Lies, but if you look at performances of Patience, You're Crazy, and UTLH Axl seems to still be able to sound great on those except for higher parts of UTLH...

Maybe this is why we get more Mickey than anything, maybe he doesn't enjoy his lower tone as much as we do, I personally love his vocals in Lies, he sounds amazing. But for Axl maybe it's just boring to sing like that or too nasally, idk. 

But just another theory to add to the vocal questions. 

• Like 1

This show settled it for me. Axl is not taking it easy, there is something wrong with his voice. He is actually pushing it and trying to get some rasp, and fails. He sounds like he is actually struggling, and his voice is on the verge of those AC/DC cracks at the RQ outro, something that simply never, ever came close to happening in 2016.

Also watched other videos. On the Better bridge at Tel Aviv his voice absolutely breaks and goes all over the place, and the whole "i never wanted you to be someone afraid..." part is just a massive crack. He never cracked on it until doing the AC/DC tour.

I hope Axl is ok and being mindful of any possible damage, and that he recovers eventually.

I honestly can't figure out whether he's fucked his voice up, or he's gone back to whatever technique he was using in 2002 (which didn't sound great then, and it doesn't sound better 15 years later). It seems like he can add rasp to his voice easier when he's singing lower/distorted chest voice/not with his airy head voice, and it seems like he sometimes tries adding it but can't find it with whatever technique he's using now...

Really hope he picks it up for the NA shows and Rio.

Also check this 2014 quote from Sebastian Bach:

"I save all my power for those super-high notes and I get it going like that and I try to sing as clean as possible and save the dirty part of my voice to use as little as possible. It's kind of like a trick."

Keep in mind Axl is doing MUCH(!) longer shows than Bach! Or Maiden, Priest etc., so yeah, next to aging, loosing his rasp voice, he also might just intentionally skip his aggressive voice parts in many songs to be sure he can still do it a few more years. I mean, he gets along with it still/for now, there just have been massive amounts of fans at the European shows.

8 minutes ago, Gurri said:

When I listened Houston last year i think: this is a dream come true, it's not 2010 but still amazing.

Now, only remains 2 months and counting... And i can only think at this 

gap-yellow-rain-coat.jpg

He's going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass tomorrow for a Houston like performance. Everything prior to Houston was building up he kept getting better, his voice was strong, Houston was just the cherry on top, but tomorrow night we have no evidence his voice is strong enough to handle Jungle much less anything else

On 7/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I honestly can't figure out whether he's fucked his voice up, or he's gone back to whatever technique he was using in 2002 (which didn't sound great then, and it doesn't sound better 15 years later). It seems like he can add rasp to his voice easier when he's singing lower/distorted chest voice/not with his airy head voice, and it seems like he sometimes tries adding it but can't find it with whatever technique he's using now...

Really hope he picks it up for the NA shows and Rio.

His voice on the North American leg of the 2002 tour was quite strong. Either way though I still beleive he can turn it on/off.

6 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

His voice on the North American leg of the 2002 tour was quite strong. Either way though I still beleive he can turn it on/off.

His voice in '02 had power, but that style hasn't aged well. Listening to songs like The Blues, Madagascar and some others, he could bring the 'classic' voice when he wanted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

His voice in '02 had power, but that style hasn't aged well. Listening to songs like The Blues, Madagascar and some others, he could bring the 'classic' voice when he wanted.

I completely agree with the 02 voice having alot of power and range. I recently popped in my Albany 2002 CD, which I hadn't listened to in years and wow. Even in the clean style of singing back then, his voice had so much power and range, where on certain parts he'd be out of breath but still have range. Listening to the most recent recordings now, its kinda getting me down to see him struggle, like his voice is a deflating balloon. I would actually prefer him to sing in his 02 voice now than see him struggle between rasp and clean. I seriously hope by the time the Boston show comes around, he'll have more motivation to sing better or at least try to put more effort into the US leg of the tour like he did the first time around. 

• Like 1