The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Everyone that covers a GNR song mentions how many words they have. How it takes a lot of breathing control to get through the phrases. Like in he Tamblin video he mentions having to compress the air as you sing so you have enough to get to the next line. 

Axl screwed himself a bit with the melody and lyrics haha but no reason in his current state that he couldn't pull off great performances with a different style 

1 minute ago, Dar97 said:

Yeah exactly why do you think Axl isn't using as much rasp anymore, his singer probably told him if carry on like this you won't be able to sing soon 

I don't think it's necessarily the rasp. If you listen to what that guy was saying he mentions that it's fine to compress and use distortion (basically rasp) but Axl tends to squeeze the notes more by using too much mask as he sings so it's not this full clean sound coming out. That's what the guy is saying is putting the stress on his vocals. If you watch the end of the paradise city video he breaks it down and shows you what it sounds like if he wants to sound like Axl but mentions he prefers using a fuller voice. Axl should have a more open air voice instead he's settled with a falsetto sounding voice to ease the tension on his chords. 

There are ways to sing with rasp that are healthier than how Axl tends to use it. 

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

It would be something like this 

I'm probably the only one who knows her haha. A few years ago she appeared in the Czech version of Idol, she had a great voice but wasn't sure how to use it or work with it, so that many people claimed she was screaming instead of singing. I liked her though. She came in second place but never had a huge success due to lack of good songs. I think she's currently living abroad and doing music there. 

Sorry for off-topic :smiley-confused2:

Edited by Andy14
  • Like 2

Guys just look at this. 

And now tell me he has lost his voice... AXL DOES NOT care about gnr anymore. Unless they ll make a new album, he will keep sounding clean and will use falsetto on every concert. He has nothing to prove with GnR  now. But look at ACDC. He has the SAME raspy voice of his youth. He s bored and done with the GnR music thats all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

Guys just look at this. 

And now tell me he has lost his voice... AXL DOES NOT care about gnr anymore. Unless they ll make a new album, he will keep sounding clean and will use falsetto on every concert. He has nothing to prove with GnR  now. But look at ACDC. He has the SAME raspy voice of his youth. He s bored and done with the GnR music thats all.

I want new Guns N' Roses music more than anything. That would be #1 for me. They are my favorite band, and I know they can pull off something great. If that doesn't happen, then it is what it is. What can we do? Throw fits online? None of it matters. 

The next closest thing would be new music with AC/DC. It obviously isn't the same, but Axl can obviously still smash these AC/DC songs. If he wants to put that effort into AC/DC, then so be it. Let's get a killer new record out of it. 

Regardless of whatever happens, GN'R will always be my priority. 

18 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Everyone that covers a GNR song mentions how many words they have. How it takes a lot of breathing control to get through the phrases. Like in he Tamblin video he mentions having to compress the air as you sing so you have enough to get to the next line. 

Axl screwed himself a bit with the melody and lyrics haha but no reason in his current state that he couldn't pull off great performances with a different style 

Well that is the other thing that tends to get glossed over a bit - these songs were never easy to sing, he just used to make it look easy when he was young.  Now that he's older and not singing as well as used to, and not having as much stamina either, every little mistake stands out.  But then, that's why I think he ought to be approaching these songs in a completely different way.  I wonder, if ever gets around to writing new music, if he'll write fewer words and phrases to help himself out a bit?

5 hours ago, onurbayrak03 said:

Guys just look at this. 

That is 15 months ago, dude. It's one year and a couple months performing non stop after that. Axl is completely worn down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I've said this for a while but that Mickey voice isn't native to Axl. It takes a lot of effort to sound like that, it's not just a voice that comes out when he can't rasp, it's a voice he learned and uses. 

Why he would want to sound like that is still a mystery

It's sustainable and controllable in a live setting like his lower register. Axl's vocal options have become limited by age and wear. He could change up the way those songs sound and approach them differently as @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle mentioned - but that would require effort, something Axl clearly isn't interested in doing when it comes to GnR. So he takes the easy way out and we get "Mickey".

If GnR would ever put out another album again - this could be dealt with by Axl doing more songs in his preferred range. Songs like "Sorry" and "Wichita Lineman" are in his vocal sweet spot now. 

Edited by RONIN

1 hour ago, comboguns said:

The band and Axl were such badasses back then that even the 2016 voice would have made for a good performance. 

The big problem with Axl now is his stage presence. He has none and when you add his weird looks to the picture, it makes his bad voice stand out even more. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

That is 15 months ago, dude. It's one year and a couple months performing non stop after that. Axl is completely worn down.

no. he hasnt sung like that NOT EVEN ONCE on this guns n aliens tour. he could pick ONE song every night to sing like this. he could pick ONE SONG every two weeks to sing like that, but he clearly DOES NOT WANT to sing like that on the guns n aliens tour

I truly hope that he is keeping his voice for a Guns n Roses reunion

Mickey. Rasp. Whatever. The thing I've noticed is that the people who have the biggest issue with how he sings live are watching show after show after show online. In other words, he must be doing something right or you wouldn't be watching, you obsessive whack jobs (I can say that since I'm a diehard fan and would give myself the same label). I've said it before and I will say it again, he's not singing for anyone watching on Youtube. It's a live performance for the crowd in attendance and it's not meant to be dissected. Is his voice as strong as it was in 1990-something, no. He's 55 years-old and it's amazing he can still belt out these songs. If and when there's another album, then go ahead and judge the vocals because they are intended for you, not a live arena/stadium. Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind. If the live crowd enjoys the show then it was a success. End of story.

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Mickey. Rasp. Whatever. The thing I've noticed is that the people who have the biggest issue with how he sings live are watching show after show after show online. In other words, he must be doing something right or you wouldn't be watching, you obsessive whack jobs (I can say that since I'm a diehard fan and would give myself the same label). I've said it before and I will say it again, he's not singing for anyone watching on Youtube. It's a live performance for the crowd in attendance and it's not meant to be dissected. Is his voice as strong as it was in 1990-something, no. He's 55 years-old and it's amazing he can still belt out these songs. If and when there's another album, then go ahead and judge the vocals because they are intended for you, not a live arena/stadium. Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind. If the live crowd enjoys the show then it was a success. End of story.

Except this isn't the case at all. Do I watch some of the shows online? Yea, although I watched a bunch of shows last year and haven't watched any full shows this year. When I saw them in Vancouver a month ago, Axl's voice was brutal at times, and the guys was 3 metres in front of me. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's in his 50's, and that's such a bullshit excuse from people here. As has been the case for a long time now, when he gives a fuck, he sounds amazing - I Feel Good was the only song in Vancouver that he was actually "on" for, and he'd clearly rehearsed it and was having fun with it. When he's just touring because it's his job, he sounds like he does now - pretty fucking weak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Who gives a fuck about axl/dc?

I've always found ac/dc boring as shit, formulaic and extremely derivative. But it seems like Axl has found his comfort zone there.

I couldn't care less.

I despise AC/DC for the most part but even I have to admit that Axl sounded stunningly good with them. I can deny it all I want, but if they put out a live album with him on vox, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I think what is happening with axl  has nothing to do with his weight or lack of rehearsals, the main problem is that probably he did a surgery on his vocal chords.

he can sing with rasp, but he avoid it, he prefers to use his clean voice and falsetto, maybe he does it just to don't damage more his vocal chords.

Axl is known for doing the things in his own way, and he is stubborn, people talked to much that he sounds like mickey, so he decided to sound like this, to show us he don't give a f....

there are many diehard fans complaining about the setlist, so he decided to make a static setlist.

there are many reasons of why axl's voice sound like this, it could be a surgery, lack of rehearsals, or he dont give a f...., or he is stubborn, but the real reason only Axl and people that lives near him really knows.

• Thanks 1