The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

If every vocal thread gets shut down then we need to rename this one Bc I had the impression that this was the 2017 vocal thread. But if we are talking about different eras then it should stand alone...idk I'm feeling censored when it comes to talking about Axl's vocals. They are clearly the most popular topic...hell we've had an Izzy joining The Rolling Stones fan fiction thread last longer in the main discussion, it might still be there. 

Lol, there's no censorship going on. There's just no need for a bunch of threads discussing the same thing; Axl's Voice.

I don't know how much clearer this thread could be titled outside of perhaps removing the "2017" from the title. I'd be happy to do that for you if you like.

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Lol, there's no censorship going on. There's just no need for a bunch of threads discussing the same thing; Axl's Voice.

I don't know how much clearer this thread could be titled outside of perhaps removing the "2017" from the title. I'd be happy to do that for you if you like.

Do it. Also remove the part about clogging up show threads and replacing with clogging up discussion thread. 

Then we can go back to discussing Izzy's amp being turned off 25 years ago 

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm fine with keeping most of the discussion here. I honestly don't even care anymore. Gave up going to RIR because of how Axl sounds, and hope he tours South America with AC/DC eventually.

Axl/DC is almost guaranteed to return. I regret not going to see them last year. 

The worst part is I fear Axl is holding his vocals back in GNR to preserve it for AC/DC...just plain evil. 

But one other idea to make this thread more official so we don't have any other threads on vocals. Maybe give it a pin so we see it on the first page every time instead of it disappearing then someone comes in and makes a vocal thread not knowing about this one and we get a decent discusssion going only to have it shut down because of this thread that was lost somewhere on page 3 

14 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl/DC is almost guaranteed to return. I regret not going to see them last year. 

The worst part is I fear Axl is holding his vocals back in GNR to preserve it for AC/DC...just plain evil. 

But one other idea to make this thread more official so we don't have any other threads on vocals. Maybe give it a pin so we see it on the first page every time instead of it disappearing then someone comes in and makes a vocal thread not knowing about this one and we get a decent discusssion going only to have it shut down because of this thread that was lost somewhere on page 3 

Sad thing for me is, I got to see Axl and Slash performing together, and it was an amazing night, but I will never have a chance to witness Axl at the top of his game live. If I could go back in time I would have attended the 2010 tour. Little did I know it would be my last chance to see it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Sad thing for me is, I got to see Axl and Slash performing together, and it was an amazing night, but I will never have a chance to witness Axl at the top of his game live. If I could go back in time I would have attended the 2010 tour. Little did I know it would be my last chance to see it.

its all about how Axl is trending. In 2016 he had good nights and decent nights but they weren't consistent. But the shows were all great, in 2017 it's like he's flatlined. I've never seen Axl consistently sing this way with no improvement anywhere. Which tells me he's likely on cruise control and is purposely holding back from what he was putting out in 2016. 

No doubt about 2010 though. That's the year that you wish he could have kept repeating. 

Oh well. Maybe AC/DC will throw a GNR cover in their set. Haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

its all about how Axl is trending. In 2016 he had good nights and decent nights but they weren't consistent. But the shows were all great, in 2017 it's like he's flatlined. I've never seen Axl consistently sing this way with no improvement anywhere. Which tells me he's likely on cruise control and is purposely holding back from what he was putting out in 2016. 

No doubt about 2010 though. That's the year that you wish he could have kept repeating. 

Oh well. Maybe AC/DC will throw a GNR cover in their set. Haha

Hahaha. AxlDC playing Estranged = first raspy Estranged since the 90s

On 16/08/2017 at 11:49 PM, Pedrolg said:

Yeah, I doubt he has many good years within his style. His lower registers are still great though, and could settle into them and be a great singer for years to come.

Most certainly his touring days are numbered.  This could be a problem for Guns sooner rather than later.  It's why it's crucial they put out an album ASAP so they can tour it before his sound deteriorates even more because as we all know the money is in touring, not albums (although I suspect Guns might be the first rock band in decades to shift a gazillion units).

Axl will be fine in the studio after a bit of a break, where he can do multiple takes and benefit from subtle auto-tune for pitch correction and what not (auto-tune is not a crime so long as it's used wisely, was used successfully on CD) 

Not sure that settling into using his (excellent) lower register is going to buy him that more time tbh.  So many Guns songs require him to sing using his full range and I don't know for how much longer he can do that..well, he's not.  Already he's not using his full range consistently.  It's a terrible shame, but he needs to take advantage now while he still can.

3 minutes ago, Original said:

Jovi had a 1 off show last night.   Guess what all the fans are bitching about- "his voice is shot".   SOS.   Our "heroes" are aging.  I saw Jovi twice last spring and had a blast.  It is what it is. Enjoy our bands while we got em.  

I heard Jovi is pretty bad lately. Even people attending can hear it. Atleast we are only in the "YouTube videos don't do him justice" phase. In a couple years in might be the fans complaining at the show too 

15 minutes ago, Original said:

Jovi had a 1 off show last night.   Guess what all the fans are bitching about- "his voice is shot".   SOS.   Our "heroes" are aging.  I saw Jovi twice last spring and had a blast.  It is what it is. Enjoy our bands while we got em.  

fucking EXCACTLY!!!!

6 hours ago, Original said:

I used to back in 2012 be super unhappy with the band and was complaining all the time about Axl especially

I don't know, it is a lot more of a positive experience letting things go.  If I truly didn't like something that the band was doing, I would find something else to enjoy instead of being too hung up on it.  I am enjoying the ride of this GNR reunion, regardless if Axl isn't as on par as he was last year.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:21 AM, trqster said:

Weird thing about Axl's voice is that most singers when aging their voice gets deeper and more 'raspy'. A good example is Steven Tyler. I've heard the guy live recently circa 70yo and his pipes were as good as ever...lots of rasp everywhere, so is the age thing really an excuse for Axl...? 

I've thought about this before and actually there is an excuse, well a reason. Basically, compare the speaking voices of the two. Tyler's natural speaking voice is high pitched and hoarse, his rasp is his regular voice but amplified. Axl's natural speaking voice is really deep, low and clean; when he rasps (or used to) he was always forcing it hard. So it's much more difficult for Axl to pull off.  

16 hours ago, Original said:

Bon Jovi fans have been complaining about his voice for a good few years now. Just because you saw them twice and thought the show was great doesn't mean that it should disqualify how die hards feel  about the vocals of Jon Bon Jovi. Every night, 65.000 people think Axl Rose sounds wonderful yet when listening carefully it clearly shows how his voice is completely shot and the man just can't sing anymore. The way most singers' vocals have detoriated have nothing to do with age, but mostly with abuse.

Edited by RNRS

3 hours ago, RNRS said:

Bon Jovi fans have been complaining about his voice for a good few years now. Just because you saw them twice and thought the show was great doesn't mean that it should disqualify how die hards feel  about the vocals of Jon Bon Jovi. Every night, 65.000 people think Axl Rose sounds wonderful yet when listening carefully it clearly shows how his voice is completely shot and the man just can't sing anymore. The way most singers' vocals have detoriated have nothing to do with age, but mostly with abuse.

Yes I've seen Bon Jovi over 30 times in the last 10 years and am well aware that he's vocally not the same.  Point being I've enjoyed every show and had a blast.  If you want 1887 vocal quality out of Axl then listen to the album.  I saw Guns in their prime and again 3 times on this tour and loved my shows....may yet go see them in Vegas again. 

Edited by Original

21 minutes ago, Original said:

Yes I've seen Bon Jovi over 30 times in the last 10 years and am well aware that he's vocally not the same.  Point being I've enjoyed every show and had a blast.  If you want 1887 vocal quality out of Axl then listen to the album.  I saw Guns in their prime and again 3 times on this tour and loved my shows....may yet go see them in Vegas again. 

NOBODY wants 1987 Axl's voice. We want a decent 2017 Axl voice. Go listen to the My Michelle videos above and then tell me. He's choosing to sing like shit. 

To be honest, he should sound like he did with ACDC. But if you dont want to be that hard, then 2016 levels would be more than enough. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of his problem is the surgeries he's had on his face and teeth. Sounds silly but most people who've had plastic surgery sound different than before I watched a clip of him saying it was someone's birthday this morning and he sounded like someone who's jaw was wired shut or something.  Not constantly smoking has also changed it. Cigarettes ain't good for much but they do make the voice raspy

Edited by Tucknroll

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

NOBODY wants 1987 Axl's voice. We want a decent 2017 Axl voice. Go listen to the My Michelle videos above and then tell me. He's choosing to sing like shit. 

To be honest, he should sound like he did with ACDC. But if you dont want to be that hard, then 2016 levels would be more than enough. 

Nobody wants Jon Bon Jovi to sound like he did in 1987 either. All fans really want is a singer who sings. And whatever either is doing isn't singing. And yes, I'm quite sure Axl sings a certain way and it is a conscious decision to sound the way he does and I agree he should sound the same way he did with AC/DC. But he doesn't, and there doesn't seem to be a real excuse for it either.

2 hours ago, Original said:

Something that clearly shows that, when seeing the band live, you just don't notice how awful he really sounds. Me, personally, I don't enjoy any show from any artist if the guitars are out of tune, the sound is off or the singer can't sing. But you're not the only one, the majority doesn't hear the vocal flaws of a lead singer unless it's pointed out to them. Yet you are here telling everyone else they should lower the expectations because age has crept up on them. The way either of them sounds is not an age related issue.

57 minutes ago, Tucknroll said:

I think a lot of his problem is the surgeries he's had on his face and teeth. Sounds silly but most people who've had plastic surgery sound different than before I watched a clip of him saying it was someone's birthday this morning and he sounded like someone who's jaw was wired shut or something.  Not constantly smoking has also changed it. Cigarettes ain't good for much but they do make the voice raspy

His voice was already done in the late 90's when he had all his stupid surgeries. 

Axl falsetto(whatever it is) is the most annoying sound in music.

• Like 1