The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

I don't think anyone knows exactly what he's had done but I know their last show in Argentina was awesome and then he came back at the vma's looking and sounding terrible.  I mean even a tooth ache makes you talk differently and he looked like his whole head had been through surgery. I'm sure that and not smoking caused his voice to go. Hell, Joe buck, the sports caster said in his book that hair transplants affected his voice so much that he almost lost his career!

Edited by Tucknroll
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tucknroll said:

When did we hear him in the late 90s?

CD demos.. most of his vocals from CD are from around 98'.. oh my god, silkworms, Live Era over dubs..

13 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I don't know anything about these surgeries he's supposed to have had.  Can anyone shed any light for me on what these were exactly, and why he had them?  Even his speaking voice is weirdly inconsistent/irregular.  The whole situation is so strange.  

no one knows. 

10 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

OK, Im confused, does he sound bad recently or not? In this thread, many say he sounds crap even recently. But on the concert threads, they said he sounds better than the last few years.

I just hope he brings his A-game in Brazil!

Everyone who goes to a show, says he sounds great. People who only watch the YouTube clips, say he doesn't. I'm pretty sure you'll find him great when you go at a show, don't worry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Everyone who goes to a show, says he sounds great. People who only watch the YouTube clips, say he doesn't. I'm pretty sure you'll find him great when you go at a show, don't worry.

Is it cuz I will be carried away at the concert environment/adrenaline rush? When I get home, will I realize his voice sucks? But I hope youre right.

Same here is happening to Bon Jovi forums- many are complaining towards his voice. Thank God for Steve Tyler.

43 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is it cuz I will be carried away at the concert environment/adrenaline rush? When I get home, will I realize his voice sucks? But I hope youre right.

Same here is happening to Bon Jovi forums- many are complaining towards his voice. Thank God for Steve Tyler.

No, it will be because he sounds great when you're there. They put on a great show. I have seen not one bad review, everyone comes back from the shows absolutely blown away, so I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

OK, Im confused, does he sound bad recently or not? In this thread, many say he sounds crap even recently. But on the concert threads, they said he sounds better than the last few years.

I just hope he brings his A-game in Brazil!

I went to two shows last year. And one show this year. I noticed there are songs like YCBM, RQ or SCOM where at times his voice sounds too clean or borderline Mickey Mouse. But he has had bigger problems back in 2012. So you can say that compare to the last few years, right now he sounds great. Still this is not the early 90s Axl either. For me it is no big deal. There are other things about this tour that bother me a lot more than Axl's voice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I went to two shows last year. And one show this year. I noticed there are songs like YCBM, RQ or SCOM where at times his voice sounds too clean or borderline Mickey Mouse. But he has had bigger problems back in 2012. So you can say that compare to the last few years, right now he sounds great. Still this is not the early 90s Axl either. For me it is no big deal. There are other things about this tour that bother me a lot more than Axl's voice

That's a fair perspective. I know RQ was a song that I truly enjoyed last year when I went to go see em. I had seen them prior and Axl always Mickey'd that song...to hear Axl sound great on it was one of the real treats. 

But yea most probably don't care if Axl puts rasp on RQ or sings clean...however I think as a fan (casual or hardcore) the songs he does hit properly leave a positive impact on the fan. The clean voice in concert isn't terrible, it's just not memorable 

12 hours ago, Lio said:

Here is the truth, he sounded great in Vegas, super in Jersey and he kept on and then , something happened. It was undeniable, in person, his voice changed, I was kind of shocked at a few shows when they came back to the states, it was not the video. He does roll out the good voice still, I think in Hershey he did some songs great and other times, well, it was certainly not so great 

I didn't know hair transplants can alter a voice, that is interesting. The facial surgery , yes and come on ,he has had work. Nose , jaw and I cant figure out the teeth situation but something is not right, cheek implants were there for a good while, his eyes but that shouldn't affect his voice. Hell, maybe none of it is affecting his voice and he is tired. The botox and fillers shouldn't affect his voice. I cant believe some a-hole dr did that to him, plastic surgery sucks in the majority of cases where people started out as very attractive, like Axl. 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, GNRfanMILO said:

It's fucking day and night.. And yet people still say he sounds great and that YouTube videos don't make him justice

STEVEN!!! I forgot about Axl's voice. There is no way they don't all notice how badass Steven is. 

I have constantly criticized Axl's voice since 2011, but it is much better when you are there. I don't know how to put it exactly, but they way they blast it through the sound system, you can't quite hear it, is is not very well defined. I sounds more blurred and powerful than it is. 

I looked up more details about Joe buck losing his voice from hair plugs and he said himself that it had something to do with the stuff used to put him to sleep. He said he was addicted to hair treatment and over time the anesthesia damaged his vocal chords. Axls been through plenty of surgeries so maybe that happened to him. I still say the main reason it's too clear is not smoking

What on earth do hair transplants have to do with the vocal chords?!

According to this article (related to the sportcaster's case), damage on vocal chords may occur only due to general anesthesia (for any kind of surgery) and the odds for it are under 0,1%:

http://www.menshealth.com/health/joe-buck-hair-transplant

Honestly, I don't think Axl has done anything more that botox, chemical peels, and probably hair transplants - and of course nothing of these things has anything to do with his voice.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What on earth do hair transplants have to do with the vocal chords?!

According to this article (related to the sportcaster's case), damage on vocal chords may occur only due to general anesthesia (for any kind of surgery) and the odds for it are under 0,1%:

http://www.menshealth.com/health/joe-buck-hair-transplant

Honestly, I don't think Axl has done anything more that botox, chemical peels, and probably hair transplants - and of course nothing of these things has anything to do with his voice.

Yeah, Axl sang for years with relentless rasp, ridiculous high notes and otherworldly screams, while smoking through most of that and problably drinking. Surely hair transplants damaged his voice.

7 hours ago, Pishy said:

@SoundOfAGun is that your band? I like to the heart, sounds like some old school rock, good work

Thanks @Pishy! At the moment it is more a recording project; mainly me and with occasional contributions from a lead guitarist and bass player (they played on High Hopes). We want to start rehearsals later this year and do a few gigs in 2018.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks @Pishy! At the moment it is more a recording project; mainly me and with occasional contributions from a lead guitarist and bass player (they played on High Hopes). We want to start rehearsals later this year and do a few gigs in 2018.

Sounds really cool, definitely share what you can here.  I think it's awesome you are doing it, keep us posted!

• Like 1