The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

I dont think it has anything with surgery, hair transplant or anything like that, I think he is just not into GNR anymore. We've all seem what he did with AC/DC, if he still had it into him he could adapt the amazing voice he used with AC/DC to GNR the same way he adapted the mickey voice, he could adapt, band could adapt, he just dont give a fuck anymore.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jeancarlo said:

Something happened, maybe a surgery, now he has a hard time keeping that middle tone since 2000.

So he'd rather go straight to the falsetto...

Example:

Or maybe lack of training... Who knows?!

I think he could have worked to get that back. It might be too late now but in 06 he could still find it...just not consistently 

my thing is he can falsetto, be out of tune, be off key, sing however he wants at most live shows....nobody here expects a perfect Axl, but when he gets on stage in front of a global audience knowing people will be watching then it would be nice if he could find what makes AC/DC gigs so special and sing like he's out to prove people wrong. Instead gnr is stuck with a stale Axl that makes you wonder his commitment to this lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think he could have worked to get that back. It might be too late now but in 06 he could still find it...just not consistently 

my thing is he can falsetto, be out of tune, be off key, sing however he wants at most live shows....nobody here expects a perfect Axl, but when he gets on stage in front of a global audience knowing people will be watching then it would be nice if he could find what makes AC/DC gigs so special and sing like he's out to prove people wrong. Instead gnr is stuck with a stale Axl that makes you wonder his commitment to this lineup.

Yeah, take Billy Idol for instance. Guy is older than Axl, and there are shows where he clearly phones it in, making the audience sing for him and all that. However, when they put him in the spotlight with a pop artist and shitloads of people watching he prepared and performed like a beast.

19 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Yeah, take Billy Idol for instance. Guy is older than Axl, and there are shows where he clearly phones it in, making the audience sing for him and all that. However, when they put him in the spotlight with a pop artist and shitloads of people watching he prepared and performed like a beast.

And that's awesome! I would leave people alone in the show threads if Axl had proven to show up when it counted. The first time we saw any sign of that was with AC/DC but we get Axl at the Apollo show, which is streamed live and he does the same lazy bs he's been doing all tour. There are a handful of listenable songs from that stream. 

ISE

Brownstone

CD

Seeker

Patience are about the only songs that sound decent..throw in Nightrain too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

And that's awesome! I would leave people alone in the show threads if Axl had proven to show up when it counted. The first time we saw any sign of that was with AC/DC but we get Axl at the Apollo show, which is streamed live and he does the same lazy bs he's been doing all tour. There are a handful of listenable songs from that stream. 

ISE

Brownstone

CD

Seeker

Patience are about the only songs that sound decent..throw in Nightrain too. 

Brownstone sounds like proper old Axl, but I'd agree with you. That's a big downgrade from last year. That list in 2016 had Jungle, TIL, Rocket Queen, Civil War and others.

Granted, I suspect that guys like Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol and Steven Tyler are on "anti aging" stuff, while Axl is not. A wee bit of testosterone, some hgh, keeps then lean, looking ripped past their 60s, and one must not forget that vocal chords are muscles.

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Brownstone sounds like proper old Axl, but I'd agree with you. That's a big downgrade from last year. That list in 2016 had Jungle, TIL, Rocket Queen, Civil War and others.

Granted, I suspect that guys like Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol and Steven Tyler are on "anti aging" stuff, while Axl is not. A wee bit of testosterone, some hgh, keeps then lean, looking ripped past their 60s, and one must not forget that vocal chords are muscles.

Wow.  I did not know about this.  They take some sort of hormone then?  I was watching a recent vid of Steven Tyler the other day and thinking, how on earth does he look and sound the way he does at his age?  Plastic surgery...yes...but by his age, usually surgery starts to look much more obvious, and let's face it, he hasn't exactly led a lifestyle all that different from Axl.  I was wondering if it was something else, sounds like it might be.

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Wow.  I did not know about this.  They take some sort of hormone then?  I was watching a recent vid of Steven Tyler the other day and thinking, how on earth does he look and sound the way he does at his age?  Plastic surgery...yes...but by his age, usually surgery starts to look much more obvious, and let's face it, he hasn't exactly led a lifestyle all that different from Axl.  I was wondering if it was something else, sounds like it might be.

I'm not saying for sure they do, but as someone with experience lifting weights and with friends their age that use that stuff, it seems almost obvious that they are into some of that. Look at Billy in that video I posted, you just don't get to 61 years old looking like that. The guy looks like an MMA fighter under that jacket.

Shit, you're right.  His torso is so firm, no loose skin...of course the give-away is the neck area.  Axl has the same problem.  Now I used to love me a bit of Billy Idol back in the day and watching that, I must say, Billy's doing no better than Axl in the vocal department.  In fact, Axl is way better when he gets his rasp on.  lol at Miley the great pretender. 

16 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Shit, you're right.  His torso is so firm, no loose skin...of course the give-away is the neck area.  Axl has the same problem.  Now I used to love me a bit of Billy Idol back in the day and watching that, I must say, Billy's doing no better than Axl in the vocal department.  In fact, Axl is way better when he gets his rasp on.  lol at Miley the great pretender. 

Well, I think Billy is doing pretty well vocally - he's never been comparable to Axl, not in terms of style, range or power. He sounds more or less like he always did, in my opinion.

I wasn't comparing their styles etc...I meant in terms of how well he's doing for his age.  To my ears Billy sounds just as bad as Axl.  I gave Axl bonus points for his rasp.  But you know, I literally haven't heard BI for like, 20 odd years, and to hear him live like that for the first time...bit of a shock. :lol:  Makes me wonder what people who haven't heard Axl in 20 years must think (outside of a show).  Steven Tyler still sounds incredible.  Maybe genetics plays a part too.

There was also a killer version of AC/DC’s Whole Lotta Rosie, a reminder of Axl’s stint with the band last year. That’s part of the reason he’s able to do such long shows, he revealed, describing it as the “Young family boot camp. If you don’t do it right, you get the boot,” he joked.

Axl Said this before WLR the other night. Perhaps thats the reason he's so good good with ACDC is that he has someone to tell him when he's doing it wrong or not good enough. Axl wont have anyone that will tell him the real truth in GnR. So as the guns tour has progressed Axl has just gradually lost them high standards only to regain high standars when singing ACDC outside of guns.

8 minutes ago, Mark1989 said:

There was also a killer version of AC/DC’s Whole Lotta Rosie, a reminder of Axl’s stint with the band last year. That’s part of the reason he’s able to do such long shows, he revealed, describing it as the “Young family boot camp. If you don’t do it right, you get the boot,” he joked.

Axl Said this before WLR the other night. Perhaps thats the reason he's so good good with ACDC is that he has someone to tell him when he's doing it wrong or not good enough. Axl wont have anyone that will tell him the real truth in GnR. So as the guns tour has progressed Axl has just gradually lost them high standards only to regain high standars when singing ACDC outside of guns.

Angus probably freaked out on him when he started singing IYWB with the final verses first 

8 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I was watching a recent vid of Steven Tyler the other day and thinking, how on earth does he look and sound the way he does at his age?  Plastic surgery...yes...but by his age, usually surgery starts to look much more obvious, and let's face it, he hasn't exactly led a lifestyle all that different from Axl.  I was wondering if it was something else, sounds like it might be.

While I wouldn't be surprised at all if Steven Tyler was taking HGH, testosterone or various other anti-aging treatments, he has led a different lifestyle from Axl in a key aspect.  Sometime after he got clean from heroin, he became a health nut.  He has been eating "right" and exercising for many years.

HGH and plastic surgery sure didn't work by themselves for Sylvester Stallone!

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I haven't even seen this video yet but I know you're about to get bombarded with videos from the 20 songs in the set he sounds terrible on. 

Well, this argument about Axl's voice always amounts to cherrypicking videos, so it doesn't matter anyway. People consistently point to Houston as the benchmark when in fact it was an outlier. No one is in a position to complain about my post.

8 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I wasn't comparing their styles etc...I meant in terms of how well he's doing for his age.  To my ears Billy sounds just as bad as Axl.  I gave Axl bonus points for his rasp.  But you know, I literally haven't heard BI for like, 20 odd years, and to hear him live like that for the first time...bit of a shock. :lol:  Makes me wonder what people who haven't heard Axl in 20 years must think (outside of a show).  Steven Tyler still sounds incredible.  Maybe genetics plays a part too.

Ya Steven sounds great but a few years ago at their show he lip sync' to 3 of their songs. Maybe too tiring for him?

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Well, this argument about Axl's voice always amounts to cherrypicking videos, so it doesn't matter anyway. People consistently point to Houston as the benchmark when in fact it was an outlier. No one is in a position to complain about my post.

Yea but you're talking about fans on one side cherry picking 15% of the set to prove he's still fine versus fans looking at 85% of the set and saying, something is wrong. 

The two songs that stand out in Houston as being considerably better we're YCBM and Coma. The rest of the set was on par with the better half of that first NA leg. 

Then there's the matter that most of us are convinced he could go out and play a perfect show with AC/DC. But he's only giving 20% effort for his band gnr. 

I think what we are looking and hoping to hear is Axl completing Jungle without Mickey, RQ without his clean voice, and hopefully a return of OTGM. It seems he prefers songs at the moment that only require a clean voice. (My Michelle, Yesterdays, UTLH) who knows...maybe his voice is hurting after 150 shows?

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He sounds good on the first 5 songs, Nightrain, Patience, The Seeker, usually Don't Cry... so about 1/3 of the set.

Jungle is screwed up and DTJ shouldn't count he has 4 lines...

jungle has been terrible 

2016 was better 

hell most Jungle performances were better between 2011-2014 vocally 

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Jungle is screwed up and DTJ shouldn't count he has 4 lines...

jungle has been terrible 

2016 was better 

hell most Jungle performances were better between 2011-2014 vocally 

Honestly I haven't been keeping up with every WTTJ performance. He usually botches the first couple lines and is pretty solid for the rest of it. That one from Ottawa was a let down, he didn't really get going til halfway thru it.

I know there's not a lot of vocals in DTJ but I've always liked the song so fuck it, he gets a pass on that one :lol: