The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think Axl usually sounds that good on this song but this just came on in the background while my laptop was playing youtube vids.. I think he sounds pretty damn good here

Definitely looking for rasp in that. Not his best but I appreciate the effort above all else! The soundcheck and working on some new stuff definitely helped him think about what he was doing vocally versus his autopilot Mickey 

4 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Just a joke, bud. :lol:

You should check this thread man! I mean, I know we have different opinions and all, but if you check the videos and things we say here, i'm 100% sure that we'll agree about a few things.

He was SUPER strong on songs like My Michelle or Nightrain. He even mickeys Jungle now. And im not talking about 2010, just a few months ago..

What makes me really angry is that he chooses to sing like that. It's frequently said here that Axl's midrange is gone, and then he gives us this James Brown performance. I mean that's not a fact, he killed it.. And then he struggles to sing November Rain.

I'm really looking forward to 2018. Axl/DC should prove us again that he still has it.

Edited by GNRfanMILO

21 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Back on topic. Yesterday when I was watching the stream, i noticed some crazy rasp in the first lines of You Could Be Mine. It's curious how he started that badass and then switched back to his clean voice.

You can check it here. 0.50 - 0:55

Nice! I've seen him do this before but I always like when he's trying. Hate autopilot Axl. Maybe Rio is being streamed this year 

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Every single show he butchers YCBM, PC, SCOM, etc..... but Yesterdays is by far the weakest song in the setlist. Glad I heard it in 2014 when it was still good.

Anything he could sing good in 2014 should sound the same if not better now..it's a deliberate effort to ruin the song at this point 

10 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Back on topic. Yesterday when I was watching the stream, i noticed some crazy rasp in the first lines of You Could Be Mine. It's curious how he started that badass and then switched back to his clean voice.

You can check it here. 0.50 - 0:55

Whether or not it is his fault for not warming up/doing vocal exercises, I think his vocal chords get tired.  This type of change from rasp to clean happens pretty frequently.  It happens a lot at the end of Coma where he'll do a few lines with rasp and then switches to clean.

There was a video from one of the Europe dates (can't remember which) that he was clearly trying to rasp RQ but couldn't do it.  His voice cracked a little and he went to the clean voice.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe I am just getting used to it but I didn't think it was terrible.. It isn't great but I have heard worse this tour..

Yea, you're just getting used to that voice... :lol:

Seriously, it's been the worst song of the whole tour, even in 2016 whenever they played it, it wasn't great. It's one of the only songs that the last line-up played better than the NITL line-up IMO....

Maybe he's bored of performing the old songs so he sounds great on covers because their fum for him to sing. I don't know.

'I Feel Good' does nothing but prove that we are right in thinking Axl doesn't care enough about his own songs to sing them the way we all know he can.

Man am I glad I didn't spend another $300 for a ticket this year.

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

Maybe he's bored of performing the old songs so he sounds great on covers because their fum for him to sing. I don't know.

Sure doesn't cut it when fans are paying $300 a ticket... He sounded incredible on Jungle last night though... Who the fuck knows...

So I'm watching WTTJ vids on this Canadian leg of NITL tour and I found that Axl did something in the Regina performance that he's never done before.

An awesome thing he added to Jungle last year was the demonic voice to the third verse ("If you got a hunger for what you see, take it eventually,etc"). In this performance below, he does the demonic on the second verse! Where he usually sounds weak ("you can taste the bright lights") sounds AMAZING like this. He should just sing all the verses like this imo. Alas, he's only done this at this particular show, which is a shame.

It's around 2:52. I'm surprised @IncitingChaos hasn't dug this up yet. 

Edited by GNR 1991

7 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

So I'm watching WTTJ vids on this Canadian leg of NITL tour and I found that Axl did something in the Regina performance that he's never done before.

An awesome thing he added to Jungle last year was the demonic voice to the third verse ("If you got a hunger for what you see, take it eventually,etc"). In this performance below, he does the demonic on the second verse! Where he usually sounds weak ("you can taste the bright lights") sounds AMAZING like this. He should just sing all the verses like this imo. Alas, he's only done this at this particular show, which is a shame.

It's around 2:52. I'm surprised @IncitingChaos hasn't dug this up yet. 

I've been so pissed that he can't sing the first few verses right I stopped watching, but I think that part has a lot of smoke and mirrors. He's so weak when he has to say Jungle, but when he gets to the part your referencing he's just using a technique that doesn't require a lot of effort. Kinda a gargle low voice. 

the same part at 2:20 last year it blended in better. He's still using a version of that voice but all the parts around it are equally as menacing so when he changes voices it's less noticeable. I think it takes more effort but it blends better in my opinion. However I agree I like the deep demonic voice on that line. Gives you some emotion to the line. But I'd still like to see him complete the song like he was in 2016 

@GNR 1991

the thing that scares me is that it's the same lazy technique he used in 2014. 

on pro shot you hear how he's using different voices like the part we are talking about at 2:17. It's similar to what he's doing now but his voice is stronger. I'd like to see him refrain from this and go back to singing the song with some power like 2016. This technique is bad for performance but good for a guy protecting his vocals...so idk maybe he's just being cautious in 2017