The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Okay shit I've been watching some nugnr for the heck of it and it was not a good idea, I totall forgot what PC used to sound like..

No singing over the intro, whistle at the correct spot, and the vocals..just fuuck 1:35

Also check out the intensity with which he not just sings but also performs here, he really was out to prove something there. Will he ever do it again now that his band is back anyway?

Also check out the way he comes in on Nightrain here 0:35

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Okay shit I've been watching some nugnr for the heck of it and it was not a good idea, I totall forgot what PC used to sound like..

No singing over the intro, whistle at the correct spot, and the vocals..just fuuck 1:35

Also check out the intensity with which he not just sings but also performs here, he really was out to prove something there. Will he ever do it again now that his band is back anyway?

Yeah, 2009 Axl but specially 2010 is one of the highlights of this career. You should check the Bucharest 2010 show, for me its the best modern era Guns N' Roses show ever (in terms of Axl's voice)

Edited by GNRfanMILO

On 9/2/2017 at 6:53 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

That was a great version of IRS! I miss that song  live . Axl currently wouldn't sound close to that now or in the up coming arena shows. He needs a long break . 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:24 PM, GNR 1991 said:

So I'm watching WTTJ vids on this Canadian leg of NITL tour and I found that Axl did something in the Regina performance that he's never done before.

An awesome thing he added to Jungle last year was the demonic voice to the third verse ("If you got a hunger for what you see, take it eventually,etc"). In this performance below, he does the demonic on the second verse! Where he usually sounds weak ("you can taste the bright lights") sounds AMAZING like this. He should just sing all the verses like this imo. Alas, he's only done this at this particular show, which is a shame.

It's around 2:52. I'm surprised @IncitingChaos hasn't dug this up yet. 

He also did it on the first verse in the Edmonton show (around min 1:48)

First off, I think Axl never really lost anything on his voice until after 2006, and even then in 2009-2010 he had wicked grit. after seeing GnR in ottawa last month solely listening for the mix on Axl's voice on several songs , he's actually losing his range finally. Even going back to coachella/vegas, then the first leg of the tour, his voice cracks were not there/just starting, and now his voice cracks really hard even on welcome to the jungle, nightrain, and he goes to his chest voice rather than scratchy head voice whenever he can.

he hasn't gone a show without voice cracks on high notes since AC/DC's first tour leg with him, and hadn't ever had that issue really before. :(

TLDR, axl is finally old, losing range and his high notes are failing him.

On 9/2/2017 at 4:53 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Great version of Paradise City. The song Is actually played at the correct speed In the beginning. People were actually able to keep up and clap along when the drums kicked In. I wouldn't trade having Slash and Duff back for anything but It Is a shame that Axl was willing to perform properly with the fake version of the band. 

Edited by ironmt

On 3.9.2017 at 2:53 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I honestly think that if they'd release a new album and Axl would get to sing those new songs, he'd get some of that mojo back. Feels like Axl's simply bored of singing the same songs over and over again on every single show. So why isn't there a new album in the horizon? I have no idea.

Then again he's getting older too, so he may never perform with that kind of intensity again. But if they'd release new material I believe he'd still be a lot more into it, than he's now. I'm not saying that he's terrible now. But clearly he's not as into it as he could be.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

The topics have been boring lately, what's the over under on Axl's voice being back to 2016 levels at Rio now that he's had a short break? 

We will start the line at -No &1/2 

Haha. 

A short break for Axl and it's back to square one. He will have zero rasp and falsetto the whole set, just as he did at nearly every 2017 show, in particular those at the beggining of a leg. I think it will suck.Insert other media

28 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Haha. 

A short break for Axl and it's back to square one. He will have zero rasp and falsetto the whole set, just as he did at nearly every 2017 show, in particular those at the beggining of a leg. I think it will suck.Insert other media

I've got This I Love for the upset of lowlite of the show. 

Front runners are Yesterdays, YCBM, SCOM, and My Michelle. I think we could have some dark horses come through and steal the show. 

9 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I've got This I Love for the upset of lowlite of the show. 

Front runners are Yesterdays, YCBM, SCOM, and My Michelle. I think we could have some dark horses come through and steal the show. 

This I love is the latest to transition from the "Axl still sounds awesome on it" camp to the "Wow, Axl really sucks on this one" camp. My Michelle and Jungle are fresh after transitioning, while Rocket Queen moved months ago and is firmly established in suck camp. All we got left at this point is low voice centered songs and Nightrain. 

I'd really, really love if Axl came out in Rio and kicked things up a notch, delivering a solid performance, but realistically it won't happen. As I said before this year, Axl is done, imo.

Edited by Pedrolg
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

This I love is the latest to transition from the "Axl still sounds awesome on it" camp to the "Wow, Axl really sucks on this one" camp. My Michelle and Jungle are fresh after transitioning, while Rocket Queen moved months ago and is firmly established in suck camp. All we got left at this point is low voice centered songs and Nightrain. 

I'd really, really love if Axl came out in Rio and kicked things up a notch, delivering a solid performance, but realistically it won't happen. As I said before this year, Axl is done, imo.

As far as This I Love.... that song has fallen really far, in that it basically used to be Axl's solo spot as he cut through the music like a fucking razor, even 2011-2016 he still pulled off some great ones, but man, this was exactly as painful in person as it is on youtube:

I still don't think he's done though. It's frustrating to hear this, but I think when he tours with Angus again he'll sound how he's "supposed to". It does sound like he's being lazy/conservative a lot now, he's made his millions and I think he's just having fun at the shows while knowing he has to save his voice for Angus' next record...

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As far as This I Love.... that song has fallen really far, in that it basically used to be Axl's solo spot as he cut through the music like a fucking razor, even 2011-2016 he still pulled off some great ones

I still listen to the boot of TIL from the Toronto show I went to last year (the only 2016 show I saw) from time to time. It's got a good amount of rasp without going totally overboard:

The "Sorry" from this show is decent, but Sorry *really* suffered in 2017. Sad that I didn't get to hear My Michelle with rasp this year, but Out Ta Get Me at Toronto 2016 was one of the best performances of a song I've ever seen:

12 minutes ago, Amir said:

I still listen to the boot of TIL from the Toronto show I went to last year (the only 2016 show I saw) from time to time. It's got a good amount of rasp without going totally overboard:

The "Sorry" from this show is decent, but Sorry *really* suffered in 2017. Sad that I didn't get to hear My Michelle with rasp this year, but Out Ta Get Me at Toronto 2016 was one of the best performances of a song I've ever seen:

Yea TIL was pretty good last year. OTGM was a highlight at every show it was played I think, it definitely was when I saw it.

Sorry sounds really weird with the raspy backing track. I don't miss it in the setlist, I'm glad they play CITR instead in Vancouver, it was one of the highlights.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Hide contents

Sorry sounds really weird with the raspy backing track. I don't miss it in the setlist, I'm glad they play CITR instead in Vancouver, it was one of the highlights.

Yeah, I regret not going to Vancouver just because of that one song :P It was the only song I remember enjoying live in 2013 and 2014.

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It was good at both stadium shows I've seen. But I thought it got weaker as NuGNR went along...

I liked how Bumble changed up the solo a bit in 2013-14, made it at least something different after going to a bunch of shows :lol:

I'm not sure why Sorry was played at so many shows this year, Catcher is a much better fit for Axl's current voice. Swapping Sorry out with Catcher and/or Maddy every now and then would have been much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Amir said:

I liked how Bumble changed up the solo a bit in 2013-14, made it at least something different after going to a bunch of shows :lol:

I'm not sure why Sorry was played at so many shows this year, Catcher is a much better fit for Axl's current voice. Swapping Sorry out with Catcher and/or Maddy every now and then would have been much appreciated.

It'd be nice if they swapped TIL and Better for CITR and IRS (if Axl sang it with as much enthusiasm as he sings I Feel Good :facepalm:), maybe have Shacklers with a Fortus solo as an alternate. Madagascar would be good. Street Of Dreams would've been great last year, now it could go either way...

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It'd be nice if they swapped TIL and Better for CITR and IRS (if Axl sang it with as much enthusiasm as he sings I Feel Good :facepalm:), maybe have Shacklers with a Fortus solo as an alternate. Madagascar would be good. Street Of Dreams would've been great last year, now it could go either way...

I can't imagine TIL or Better going from the setlist, as they seem to be the closest thing ChiDem ever had to "hits". I actually thought Better sounded pretty good at the European gigs I went to this year, think it was the highlight of the shows for me. Haven't dug the voice he's been using on it since Apollo, though :/