The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think so? Would the wear and tear magically disappear?

He sounded just as bad In 2016 on certain songs as he does right now and completely turned It around when It was time to perform with AC/DC. He Isn't stupid and has admitted In Interviews that nothing less than a quality performance would be accepted by Angus. 

Just now, ironmt said:

He sounded just as bad In 2016 on certain songs as he does right now and completely turned It around when It was time to perform with AC/DC. He Isn't stupid and has admitted In Interviews that nothing less than a quality performance would be accepted by Angus. 

Okay. I believe he is now displaying other types of voice problems typical of wear and tear damage after prolonged touring and which simply cannot be suppressed by motivation but requires rest or therapy to heal. Well, we will see what happens.

• Like 3

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Okay. I believe he is now displaying other types of voice problems typical of wear and tear damage after prolonged touring and which simply cannot be suppressed by motivation but requires rest or therapy to heal. Well, we will see what happens.

It will be Interesting to say the least. For now I think I will take advantage of youtube and stick to shows from 88-93.  

• Like 2

Maybe Axl is lazy but then one of the repeatedly stated solutions is to cut down the setlist by about an hour or even more.

You could probably go back and edit most of the recent shows down to 100-120 minutes and Axl would come out of it looking much better.

Unfortunately, that would mean almost an entire setlist of covers...

11 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

The Toronto shows should be interesting....

I was reconsidering one of 'em after I found myself enjoying the Ottawa show but some personal stuff that takes financial priority will likely prevent that. Considering I saw a 2016 NA show plus Buffalo AXL/DC I've had my fix of top shelf Axl anyways.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:46 AM, James Bond said:

I was reconsidering one of 'em after I found myself enjoying the Ottawa show but some personal stuff that takes financial priority will likely prevent that. Considering I saw a 2016 NA show plus Buffalo AXL/DC I've had my fix of top shelf Axl anyways.

I hope things work out for ya JB!

Unless a full on reunion occurs - I might call these two Toronto shows my swan song.

These shows are not getting cheaper to to go.

Ive been watching some videos of the 2016 NA leg, and wow Axl sounded fucking great back then. We might have took it for granted a bit because of what he did with AC/DC, but that was a fantastic standard for someone his age and with his vocal style. Nowadays the very traditional parts where he used to sound good sound significantly weaker - it seems to me that the high range rasp, the one he used massively for AC/DC is shot and cracking at this point whenever he tries to use it, such as better bridge. That is also the range where My Michelle and OTGM fall into often, and he sounded killer on those back then, and sounds bad or simply avoids performing them now.

Either Axl started this whole thing prepared but his voice is now overworked and starting to fail, or the work he put in for AC/DC back then translated into those GNR performances, and now that he is no longer putting in that work, his performances have fallen back into what they were for most of 2011-2014. Sadly, I think it's the first option, as regardless of how much Axl trains he is performing non stop for a year and a half now, so there is no way his voice is untrained and rusty.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, SoulMonster said:

Further to the Steven tyler vs Axl Rose argument. Let's say they both had to run a 400 meter hurdle run in five years time. Five years later one of them did significantly better than the other one. Does that mean that the other one didn't prepare as well? Or that it demonstrates he has been lazy? No, not necessarily, it mostly indicates that there are individual differences in how our capacities are compromised as we age. Just because Axl and Steven could both sing really well when they were 25 doesn't mean they shouyld then be able to both sing really well at 70, even if they both took care of their voices.

Steven Tyler also became quite a nutrition and fitness nut after getting clean and sober.  That could be a big part of why his voice has withstood time so well.  His whole body has held up pretty well.  I'd love to have his physique when I'm 70!

Obviously, nobody is going to confuse Axl with being a health nut!

• Haha 1

1st Steven Tyler is a different person. 2nd different lifestyle (nowadays) 3rd made a laser micro surgery to his vocal chords a few years back so he could perform at full power( had some problem with blood vessel or tired chords or something like that).  I am really impressed with Tyler's performance, the man is 70 years old ffs :headbang::lol:

I think Axl has a tired voice.. toured heavy with both GN'R and some AC/DC show for 1½ years now.. earlier his voice could sound weak in some songs but now it cracks and his range isn't as good as it been before (age?).. and his voice are clean almost on every song, which was not the case before.

Anyway, we've all thought that Axl was finished lots of times since 2001 and he still comes back and surprise us all, so i hope that he will come back one more time after some vacation and prep. (wishful thinking)

Axl shot himself in the foot with all the great songs GN'R have wrote.. see a 70 year old Axl (or anyone for that matter) perform a GN'R song live? don't think so.. the songs are hard to sing as it is for a young person.

I have said this before, but one of the great things about GN'R and Axl in particularly is that you never know if it's gonna fail or be the best show ever performed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tremolo said:

The fix is pretty fucking simple:

work WITH your voice and not AGAINST it.

I believe that what happened to Axl's voice is similar to what happened to Manson's: back in the day they were delivering these over-the-top powerful vocal performances full of rasp, drive, gain, and screams that could scare anyone with their sheer intensity. BUT they didn't have the appropriate training to do so without ruining their voice (well, not their voice, but their vocal chords), and they're paying the price today.

My biggest problem with Axl is not his timbre (rasp, clean voice, mickey, falsetto, etc), but his terrible pitch, and that has nothing to do with damaged vocal chords, but with lack of training. I'm not talking about not being able to reach notes at either end of his vocal range, but notes that are right in the middle, where he should have more control and feel more comfortable.

It would be great if Axl aknowledged the limitations of his singing voice and worked through songs within those boundaries. And it would be great if he also bothered to train and practice. But what we get today is the opposite: him singing through a broad vocal range that is beyond him and a pitch accuracy that is below amateur. The former can be worked around (which is exciting because it could give classic gnr songs an interesting and refreshing twist), and the later is just a matter of training.

Great post, agree 100%. :thumbsup:  Have been trying to say the same thing, not nearly as well as you. lol  

Only thing I would add is that, remarkably, Axl still has power/projection, but his lack of control means he doesn't fully utilise his strengths, not helped by the fact that so many of the songs literally require two voices - and Axl simply doesn't have the expertise to perform these kinds of vocal gymnastics anymore.   He should have realised back in 2002 that he needed to train properly if he was going to continue relying on his voice to make a living.

Also, I love the idea you put across, that classic GNR songs could really benefit from a new vocal approach.  Really wish he'd do this.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

Those saying that he would sound fantastic with AC/DC right now are crazy imo. There is absolutely no way Axl could pull off Thunderstruck or Hells Bells with the shape his voice is in right now. He tries to use the voice he used at those songs at bits of every GNR show, and it fails and cracks at nearly every single attempt. 

His high range that carried him to most of 2016, both with Guns and AC/DC has become problematic in 2017 (Michelle, the Better "I never wanted you to be so full anger" part, OTGB being dropped, the ending of YCBM etc). With AC/DC he'd have to pull off a whole show using a voice he hasn't been able to make work in months.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lunarose said:

what if Axl sang with full clean voice since the beggining of his career? it would probally have been better for his future, but would you guys like it? just curious

Nah, Axl ripping into the songs with that voice is a massive part of what made GNR. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lunarose said:

what if Axl sang with full clean voice since the beggining of his career? it would probally have been better for his future, but would you guys like it? just curious

We wouldn't be having this conversation.. There is no way they would have made it with him having this voice...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lunarose said:

It would be something like this 

this guy doesn't like teaching Axl's voice Bc it causes too much stress on the vocals. So he does it in a healthier way or so he says 

NR shows how terrible it would have been

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Thanks 1

@IncitingChaos Hey, those videos are really interesting, thanks for posting.  I like the woman's version of Jungle!  Whilst I'm not a fan of his NR, I actually think he does a pretty good job on Paradise City.  Makes me wonder why Axl can't sing the song with a similar approach?  Axl needs to listen to this guy's tips! 

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@IncitingChaos Hey, those videos are really interesting, thanks for posting.  I like the woman's version of Jungle!  Whilst I'm not a fan of his NR, I actually think he does a pretty good job on Paradise City.  Makes me wonder why Axl can't sing the song with a similar approach?  Axl needs to listen to this guy's tips! 

It's always interesting hearing what vocal teachers think of Axl. Most hate him. This guys comments on Axl are fair..but he's not a fan of his voice. He just thinks it's too damaging 

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

It's always interesting hearing what vocal teachers think of Axl. Most hate him. This guys comments on Axl are fair..but he's not a fan of his voice. He just thinks it's too damaging 

Yeah exactly why do you think Axl isn't using as much rasp anymore, his voice teacher probably told him if carry on like this you won't be able to sing soon 

Edited by Dar97