The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

You can literally hear his voice give way in that Coma performance at the end and he has to drop down to his natural chest voice briefly before going back to classic rasp. THIS is why Axl is using the rasp sparingly, simply put his voice is too worn and tired to handle too much of it. The 1991 comparison is perhaps a good one, except if he loses his voice this time, I doubt it will come back like it has in the past in quite the same way due to his age.

Not sure what to think - he goes from a career worst performance of Coma some days back in Rio to one of the best renditions of Coma this year. 

Why does he sound so worn out in Rio but sounds relatively on point with the last two shows? Was he sick or what?

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

Who gives a fuck about axl/dc?

I've always found ac/dc boring as shit, formulaic and extremely derivative. But it seems like Axl has found his comfort zone there.

I couldn't care less.

Very generic cock rock band like Van Halen. Nowhere near Guns imho let alone the greats like The Stones. 

4 hours ago, jockethebastard said:

Coma from Chile last night was truly something else! Yes he brought the rasp, but the performance sounded terrible. No control and lots of and very gritty sounding voice, reminds me of his struggle back in 91. 

Thats from last year, not last night

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

his voice is terrible 

He's way better than past performances, friends of mine who saw bon jovi the past week were praising Axl for singing all of the songs and giving his best at this show, Bon Jovi couldnt even dare to sing fucking always.

30 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

He's way better than past performances, friends of mine who saw bon jovi the past week were praising Axl for singing all of the songs and giving his best at this show, Bon Jovi couldnt even dare to sing fucking always.

I need Axl to attack PC like this 

at 3:00...the energy is just there. The current version seems so dead

from 5:50 on is incredible! The energy when he goes all in like this is unreal 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • GNFNR 2

2 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Even on 2014 last shows he was singing better. Listen to yesterdays 

Because he knows that's how it's suppose to sound

2 hours ago, David Americo said:

I think that axl singing the way we like is what fuck up his voice and makes his clean voice even uglier. a guy I know said that even though his performances with AC/DC were amazing he should not be singing like that if he wants to carry on being a singer and singing like mickey is the most prudent thing he can do.

maybe it would be great if after the end of the tour they recorded an album mostly with lower register singing style and made a tour focused mostly on these new songs. axl has provided enough performance of old songs for us after all.

It shouldn't have to be Mickey or Bust...there are ways of singing that don't make you sound weak but also aren't tearing the vocal chords. I thought he showed an ability to use that middle ground on much of the Bon material 

Some great examples of what he could do without going to the top of his range 

I'm sure Axl read the comments on his AC/DC shows. Many of which saying "why can't he sing this way for gnr" I don't think Axl has no clue. He knows what he sounds like. The reason for Mickey is a mystery we might never solve. It's just shocking he can be on rhythm/in tune/key with rasp but with Mickey he is all over the place and sounds like your everyday person trying to sing in their car. 

Edited by IncitingChaos

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Plus this one blows me away. The similarities between Axl's voice and Bon's voice here is amazing 

Axl picked up on every small nuance that Bon does on this song and applied it to his performance. That right there shows the level of work he put into this 

Axl on fire there, but the crowd is lame. 

Gn`r really needs a break now. Too long tour. Too bad they fucked up that Rio. Even though the mixing sounds always bad in Rio videos. For example Download festival have much better sound in videos.

19 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Since I know nothing about voice and stuff, is he using his mid range voice during "I Feel Good" ?

He's using a version of it. It's not all out top of his range screaming like the Back in Black material he did with AC/DC but also not a soft Patience like voice. It just falls in the middle and istead of using his falsetto or head voice he opts for a chest voice that he can project louder/fuller. One advantage this gives him is the ability to hit those sharp notes that you hear without rasp on parts of the song. 

Those two voices (rasp to a sharp piercing note) are a deadly good combination for someone with Axl's voice. A true shame he won't/can't use it more 

transition of voices from 1:01-1:07 is beautiful

plus everything after 2:55 is something special 

Edited by IncitingChaos

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He's using a version of it. It's not all out top of his range screaming like the Back in Black material he did with AC/DC but also not a soft Patience like voice. It just falls in the middle and istead of using his falsetto or head voice he opts for a chest voice that he can project louder/fuller. One advantage this gives him is the ability to hit those sharp notes that you hear without rasp on parts of the song. 

Those two voices (rasp to a sharp piercing note) are a deadly good combination for someone with Axl's voice. A true shame he won't/can't use it more 

Ok thank you! I was just wondering, and like you said it's a true shame but won't or can't, I guess the only one who can answer it's Axl
I don't know if he would last long, using that voice for a 3h30 show every 2 nights, and if he actually could, I don't know if there is someone in gnr camp with enough guts or power to tell him to use that voice or to rehearse correctly, to get in shape
Anyway thanks

46 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Ok thank you! I was just wondering, and like you said it's a true shame but won't or can't, I guess the only one who can answer it's Axl
I don't know if he would last long, using that voice for a 3h30 show every 2 nights, and if he actually could, I don't know if there is someone in gnr camp with enough guts or power to tell him to use that voice or to rehearse correctly, to get in shape
Anyway thanks

That's why many of us feel they need to cut down the set. 2 hours max, lower ticket prices, and put on a quality performance each night while rotating different songs around every other show to give fans a reason to see them more than once. 

If Axl could sing with a quality voice on a set like this I would be thrilled

ISE

Brownstone

CD

WTTJ

MY MICHELLE

LALD

YCBM

OTGM

UTLH 

PATIENCE

NR

Kohd 

RQ

encore

SCOM 

Nightrain

Dont Cry 

PC

then on your alternate set.

Estranged

Coma

Civil War

Yesterdays

WLR

basically cut down on long solos and just give a set that has a nice rhythm and energy. But you shorten the show a bit and maybe give Axl a boost...maybe not. Like you said we have no idea what he's capable of versus willing to give 

Probably Axl will recover his voice to some extent in the next future, but everytime it will be more difficult for him (age doesn't forgive). If they dare to record a new album, Axl needs to work with a coach and write songs like bad obsession or so fine (I mean in terms of technique). He should also include some ballads like the cover of dust in the wind they did in the 90s, it would perfectly fit to Axl's voice.

We also need to understand that 2010 or 2006 are gone, IT'S PAST and unless we reunite the dragon balls and sheng long grants our wish, Axl won´t be as consistent as in those years. It has nothing to do with comfort or interest.

Ahhh, and regarding to the Axl/dc point... it's a time bomb. If he keeps singing like that his voice will be destroyed in the blink of an eye. And once again 2016 IS PAST. We know nothing about the future of his voice in terms of power, so please stop saying that he is capable of... we don't know anything. Axl needs to be honest with himself  and realize he needs to shorten the concerts and ask for professional assistance regarding his voice. Slash and Duff will support him, they aren't fool.

Edited by Nirvano

@IncitingChaos Well Im agree with you, even if your setlist is missing some CD song, Axl would never do that I think, anyway it's not the point. I love the dude but I would like to know why. If he tells us that he can't or won't use for any reasons, well fine and I will just move on, but this is annyoing af, I know he said the clean voice was a conscious choice. There is few songs that I can't listen live anymore, cause of the clean voice and it's kind of sad

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fanboy said:

@IncitingChaos Well Im agree with you, even if your setlist is missing some CD song, Axl would never do that I think, anyway it's not the point. I love the dude but I would like to know why. If he tells us that he can't or won't use for any reasons, well fine and I will just move on, but this is annyoing af, I know he said the clean voice was a conscious choice. There is few songs that I can't listen live anymore, cause of the clean voice and it's kind of sad

My problem with CD songs is that the ones that do good live don't get played and the ones that come off poorly live are played

This I Love

Better

Sorry

are fairly weak live. 

Shacklers

CD

IRS 

are great live. 

If they do Shacklers and IRS it would be great! 

I posted this video in another thread and @Pedrolg made a good point. In 2016 Axl when singing with his Mickey voice tended to be much stronger than he is now. Listening to YCBM from Philly in 2016 it's actually listenable where as at the time we kind of brushed it off. They do a nice job of having backup vocals for him at the right times too. If he sang like this now we'd be blown away by the improvement. So I'd have to agree with pedrolg that his voice is simply worn out. He makes choices to sing a certain way but his voice in no way is strong enough to put on a performance like this atm. 

• Like 3

Realistically speaking, the guy has performed for two years with two bands. In addition, he has made guest appearances as well. With this amount of work, you just can't expect his voice to hold up like this. 

Next week, I'm going by myself to see Guns N' Roses at MSG. I'm not going to have  any expectations. Instead, I'm just going to enjoy the music and the sight of  my childhood idols together for the second time in two years. It'll actually be the third time of seeing Axl in two years. This might be my last chance of seeing them since you never know what can happen to you and your loved ones in the future. Heck look at what happened last night and today. You have 50 people dead at a concert. You have Tom Petty who is clinging to life as we speak. Life is too short. 

I'm hoping that Axl will rest his voice for at least the first to mid second quarter of 2018  and then a Guns N' Roses album in the latter half of the year.  

Edited by Draguns
typo
  • Like 3