The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

On 11/8/2017 at 8:15 AM, Pedrolg said:

Axl finally went for the high note in TWAT in Chicago. The voice wasn't there. The voice he uses here is the voice he used for AC/DC Brian songs. Unless it comes back with some rest, Axl/DC is done without it.

That was painful to listen to as a TWAT enthusiast. Beginning to think his voice is legitimately shot, he’s been hitting that note even through the bad years...hope Angus isn’t watching these videos :( 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

On 08/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Pedrolg said:

Axl finally went for the high note in TWAT in Chicago. The voice wasn't there. The voice he uses here is the voice he used for AC/DC Brian songs. Unless it comes back with some rest, Axl/DC is done without it.

That is a disgrace. It's even worse than 2001 or 2002. He's starting to sound like Vince Neil sounded on the last Motley Crue Tour. I think he should retire after this leg of shows.

You got nothing left to prove Axl, you had a career full of success. You had 5 great albums (I'm including Spaghetti) and 1 so so album which still sold 4-5 million for what it's worth, and you made millions of dollars out of your career. You have reunited with your old mates and gave us a hell of 2 years of shows all over the World. You have already done the Vegas Residency gigs several times, so the Nostalgia act thing is done and Scrapped. You have a beautiful Mansion in Malibu with the greatest view of all time and you drive a Ferrari or some car of that kind, if it's not the ferrari anymore. 

You've got your happy ending! It's time to hang the cowboy hat. If you can't hang with the cardio anymore, or if you don't have more patience in you to have singing classes or training, then...

I think Axl should concentrate on his book and do like a soundtrack to his book or release a solo album.

Hey, my opinion. Axl does what he wants when he wants. It's only my 2 cents. I think his voice is shot.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Haha 1

Some of you are getting a bit stressed over that Chicago Twat. Yes, it did sound like he was going to go for the high note for the first time this tour but his voice cracked and wobbled and he stayed low. Big deal. He goes for crazy screams and high notes on other songs like Jungle and Heaven's Door every night no problem. The difference? He's played those songs at every. single. fucking. show for 16 years and regardless of what shape his voice is in or whether he's singing clean or not he knows how to get around them. If he'd sang Twat at every show since 2001 he'd be nailing it too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Some of you are getting a bit stressed over that Chicago Twat. Yes, it did sound like he was going to go for the high note for the first time this tour but his voice cracked and wobbled and he stayed low. Big deal. He goes for crazy screams and high notes on other songs like Jungle and Heaven's Door every night no problem. The difference? He's played those songs at every. single. fucking. show for 16 years and regardless of what shape his voice is in or whether he's singing clean or not he knows how to get around them. If he'd sang Twat at every show since 2001 he'd be nailing it too. 

He could always reach the note. He reached it in 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014. His voice has been cracking everytime it goes high - the Better bridge, which used to be consistently awesome, is a crackfest at every single show in 2017. There have been cracks on parts of songs where Axl has never faltered even in his worst years.

His higher register sounds fucked, tbh, and since that's what he used on those insane AC/DC performances, it's quite possible that they are what did him in. With more dates being added next year, I believe Axl will tour and tour until the voice is gone for good.

I doubt he will ever perform with AC/DC again too, unless his voice somehow recovers. At this point in time I'd bet on him being physically unable to sing something like Back in Black or Hells Bells.

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

He could always reach the note. He reached it in 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014. His voice has been cracking everytime it goes high - the Better bridge, which used to be consistently awesome, is a crackfest at every single show in 2017. There have been cracks on parts of songs where Axl has never faltered even in his worst years.

His higher register sounds fucked, tbh, and since that's what he used on those insane AC/DC performances, it's quite possible that they are what did him in. With more dates being added next year, I believe Axl will tour and tour until the voice is gone for good.

I doubt he will ever perform with AC/DC again too, unless his voice somehow recovers. At this point in time I'd bet on him being physically unable to sing something like Back in Black or Hells Bells.

Points taken, it is a little worrying. 

6 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Of course it does, his voice is tired, it happens when you tour so extensively. I do think that working properly with a vocal coach regularly would help this but at the end of the day even a marathon runner is going to get tired legs eventually.

He's not done, he just needs to take a break and rest his vocal chords.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Of course it does, his voice is tired, it happens when you tour so extensively. I do think that working properly with a vocal coach regularly would help this but at the end of the day even a marathon runner is going to get tired legs eventually.

He's not done, he just needs to take a break and rest his vocal chords.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This isn't the Dust N' Bones/Use Your Illusion tour where he was in his late 20s, early 30s, even towards 93, you could hear his voice changing in both speaking and singing. He's in his 50s and pushing his vocals cords a few nights out of the week in GN'R style isn't going to do him any good. I know I've said it before that I'd ben content if this band didn't put out any music and they just wanted to tour, but I feel disappointed that they decided to go forth with a European leg of the tour instead of just taking a break before going back on the road again. 

9 hours ago, AlexC said:

None of you know anything about singing. "His voice is shot because of AC/DC."

Retarded.

Could you elaborate as to your take on the whole thing? You think he could sing like he did for Angus again for a long tour? What's your take on where he's at now? The high parts of Prostitute and Better were really brutal last night. He definitely improved in the last month or so but he's going downhill rapidly again. 

26 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

And his voice will return for acdc soon 

Yes, we all hope so. But there must be some permanent damage after touring for 20 months... He will recover after this break, that's for sure, but I think that it won't be 100% like he sounded in 2016. I don't know, we will see.

12 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I will try to illustrate my point a bit. A random Better bridge from 2016:

Yesterdays Better bridge (similar to most in 2017):

First one is full, powerful, and on point. Raspy all the way. The second one is painful, sounds unhealthy, cracks all over and struggles to reach the notes. That is exactly the same voice Axl uses for AC/DC Brian songs - BIB, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck. It's a voice he used sparingly from 2011-2014, and never, ever had any issues with. 

The cracks became bigger and more frequent to the point where they overtook the voice. The voice is now a big, massive crack, whenever and wherever he tries to use it. Ffs, listen to November Rain lately - his voice is cracking at the end parts! Go back and listen to the infamous 2012 vegas shows, he nailed those back then! 

AC/DC being the culprit is a theory, it could be wrong. Those cracks started appearing there, though, and the voice that is obliterated is the one he overused there on those insane Brian performances. His lower register is sounding arguably better than 2011-2014 still.

It's not a tragedy, Axl's career can still go on like this and all that, but to deny there is something seriously wrong with his voice at this point and to say that it will simply come back as soon as he decides to perform with AC/DC is simply insane. That is damage, and he keeps pushing it and failing to produce that voice, which will probably amount to more damage in the long run.

Admittedly very upsetting...I don't think his voice has been in this bad of a shape his entire career. Throughout the 2011-2014 era it was mickey but he'd always nail that bridge, YCBM post solo, etc...I think he either needs a long break or to go back to a vocal coach. Knowing Axl he may not work to fix it, unfortunately.

• Like 2

I'm not a big "Axl's voice" guy, but I'd break NITL down like this:

• 2016 Vegas - Well rested and prepared, but still with limitations
  • Summer 2016 NA - Peaking, a lot more good than bad
  • Euro-Leg - Wearing down, self-preservation (little rasp)
  • 2017 NA - Worn down, laboring, but going for it (more rasp)

I do think his voice is shot right now, but he's fighting through it and trying to put on a good show.  You can tell he's really digging deep to conjure up some rasp in a lot of these songs.  For everyone who says the man "isn't trying", it seems obvious that the effort is there but his voice is failing him.

After a mega-tour like this, I'm not surprised.  I'm sure he'd typically go away for a few years afterward and try to recover.  Unfortunately, the man is 55 years old.  First of all, can he even recover with rest?  And second, is it realistic to expect that he (or the whole band for that matter) could put on a real Guns show while pushing 60?  It's already borderline.  I've been hoping for a new album like most everyone else, but it feels like the end of the road - a triumphant return and then riding it out as far as Axl can physically push his voice.  Whatever happens, it's been a hell of a ride! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

I'm not a big "Axl's voice" guy, but I'd break NITL down like this:

• 2016 Vegas - Well rested and prepared, but still with limitations
  • Summer 2016 NA - Peaking, a lot more good than bad
  • Euro-Leg - Wearing down, self-preservation (little rasp)
  • 2017 NA - Worn down, laboring, but going for it (more rasp)

I do think his voice is shot right now, but he's fighting through it and trying to put on a good show.  You can tell he's really digging deep to conjure up some rasp in a lot of these songs.  For everyone who says the man "isn't trying", it seems obvious that the effort is there but his voice is failing him.

After a mega-tour like this, I'm not surprised.  I'm sure he'd typically go away for a few years afterward and try to recover.  Unfortunately, the man is 55 years old.  First of all, can he even recover with rest?  And second, is it realistic to expect that he (or the whole band for that matter) could put on a real Guns show while pushing 60?  It's already borderline.  I've been hoping for a new album like most everyone else, but it feels like the end of the road - a triumphant return and then riding it out as far as Axl can physically push his voice.  Whatever happens, it's been a hell of a ride! 

That's not far off. I agree that he is putting a lot of effort in recent performances.

I'm a massive AC/DC fan and was glad Axl/DC happened, but it's probably a shame for most GNR fans that Axl's finest vocal work this decade happened there, and not in the reunion (even though NITL had some fine moments). I'm afraid that Axl really blew through that voice, but I might be wrong, we'll see. Logic dictates that returns diminish from this point, so probably 2016 will soon be seen as the new 2010.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, GNRfanMILO said:

Yes, we all hope so. But there must be some permanent damage after touring for 20 months... He will recover after this break, that's for sure, but I think that it won't be 100% like he sounded in 2016. I don't know, we will see.

His vocal chords are stronger now, like a muscle the wear and tear allows them to strengthen. But you can do damage by over working muscle. Ideally he’d sing for 2 hours, cool down, do vocal exercises the next few days then be able to do it again. These back to back shows, lack of preparation and singing to the top of his range will do some work to his chords. 

If he ever goes 4 months off and no singing/vocal exercise then returns..you’ll hear a completely breakdown of his voice. It will be as bad as it’s ever been. 

Now with ACDC on the table i doubt he ever lets that happen. He’ll be working closely with a vocal coach and what we will get is a stronger Axl, his vocals will be able to sustain more wear, he should find more control. 

I think he’s fine. The lack of rest is hurting him currently but we know too much rest can do more damage so in some aspects it’s good that he’s still going. We have a front row seat to see that he’s still working. What happens after the tour is much more important. He can get his vocals where they need to be to perform any song in ACDC’s or GNR’s catalogue. The little vocal exercises, the controlled singing, he won’t be screaming to the top of his range each day. He can regenerate to a certain extent and the end result could be a better Axl.

However it’s Axl..he could do nothing and try to return in the summer with nothing. 

52 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

His vocal chords are stronger now, like a muscle the wear and tear allows them to strengthen. But you can do damage by over working muscle. Ideally he’d sing for 2 hours, cool down, do vocal exercises the next few days then be able to do it again. These back to back shows, lack of preparation and singing to the top of his range will do some work to his chords. 

If he ever goes 4 months off and no singing/vocal exercise then returns..you’ll hear a completely breakdown of his voice. It will be as bad as it’s ever been. 

Now with ACDC on the table i doubt he ever lets that happen. He’ll be working closely with a vocal coach and what we will get is a stronger Axl, his vocals will be able to sustain more wear, he should find more control. 

I think he’s fine. The lack of rest is hurting him currently but we know too much rest can do more damage so in some aspects it’s good that he’s still going. We have a front row seat to see that he’s still working. What happens after the tour is much more important. He can get his vocals where they need to be to perform any song in ACDC’s or GNR’s catalogue. The little vocal exercises, the controlled singing, he won’t be screaming to the top of his range each day. He can regenerate to a certain extent and the end result could be a better Axl.

However it’s Axl..he could do nothing and try to return in the summer with nothing. 

I do hope you are right, but Axl has always come back unprepared after a long break. Literally always. Even in 2006 and 2010 he was not in top form in the first concerts and found his footing later when the tour progresses. I really hope he doesn't do that, but I wouldn't put it past Axl to come back next year after seven months of doing absolutely nothing vocally, and sounding like RIR, 2014 NA leg etc. or worse.

I hope he knows what he is doing and is driven to perform at a high level at this point. At his age, it is much easier to maintain strong muscles you already have than it is to achieve them if you let them lose their strength.

21 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I do hope you are right, but Axl has always come back unprepared after a long break. Literally always. Even in 2006 and 2010 he was not in top form in the first concerts and found his footing later when the tour progresses. I really hope he doesn't do that, but I wouldn't put it past Axl to come back next year after seven months of doing absolutely nothing vocally, and sounding like RIR, 2014 NA leg etc. or worse.

I hope he knows what he is doing and is driven to perform at a high level at this point. At his age, it is much easier to maintain strong muscles you already have than it is to achieve them if you let them lose their strength.

Well, the room for improvement with ACDC was not that big since Angus made him go to PLENTY of rehearsals. The difference was much smaller than with GNR.

We still dont know what will happen next year though

53 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

2006 i felt he was prepared. Hammerstein was impressive after 2002. 

2009 you could hear he wasn’t prepared vocally but talent got him going in 2010. He doesn’t have the luxury of figuring it out during the tour anymore. He’s too old, it will be a train wreck. His preparation will determine his success with acdc. As far as gnr goes he gets away with whatever Bc he’s been bad for so long. 

• Like 2

Ok, here are my thoughts...

The main obstacle AXL has right now is lack of physical shape. Why ?
He runs out of air, when that happens, you start hearing him sing out of tune. He can't also stretch notes, or do vibratos without enough air.

The voice is clean, but, compare it with Rock in Rio 2001. He sang really clean that night, but almost the whole night in perfect tune. He sounded good, different, but musically good.

I think now he's using falsetto, but I think with proper air, he will be able to stay in tune, and sound musically correct.
About the rasp, well... It's gone, to preserve his voice. It's down there somewhere, but it's not safe for him to use it.

One interesting note, you may have checked the thread regarding my "Bringing the rasp voice to C.D." project. You will note, that when the rasp effect is added on top of Axl voice, even if its an artificial effect, he sounds good, like in the 90s. This demonstrate, that he stills uses the same singing style and technique (?) from that time for the songs in there, but without the rasp. And to me he stills do the same today, but just can't hold it for long due to lack of AIR.

• Like 3