The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

While I prefer raspy Axl from Argentina 92, Paris 92, etc., what we are lucky to have is a singer who can still hit the high notes. Many singers lose half of their upper octave early in their careers. If you listen to Robert Plant - he blew his upper octave out around Led Zeppelin 4. Adele as screwed up her voice a little because she sang while sick. Sia is losing a few of her higher notes and now tunes her band/tracks down a few steps. Most 80s bands' singers can't even sing a song to save their lives.

Axl still has his unbelievable range. I'd prefer the rasp, but I think he is trying to find a balance without killing his voice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zepsun said:

While I prefer raspy Axl from Argentina 92, Paris 92, etc., what we are lucky to have is a singer who can still hit the high notes. Many singers lose half of their upper octave early in their careers. If you listen to Robert Plant - he blew his upper octave out around Led Zeppelin 4. Adele as screwed up her voice a little because she sang while sick. Sia is losing a few of her higher notes and now tunes her band/tracks down a few steps. Most 80s bands' singers can't even sing a song to save their lives.

Axl still has his unbelievable range. I'd prefer the rasp, but I think he is trying to find a balance without killing his voice.

Well, Bruce Dickinson still has it, too, but you're right, he's one of the few. ;)

I think people discussing Axl's voice forget about the most important things in music: passion and emotion.

This is a prime example:

It was towards the end of the concert, you can hear his voice is done, but he sings it with so much conviction and belief in what he sings, you can hear it every single word. To me, this is one of the most beautiful versions of this song, maybe even because it is not perfect, but honest and from his heart.

Edited by Zurimor

I recently attended 5 concerts with my friend and we were always at the rail, infront of the catwalk so one of the speakers was right infront of us. And yes, it's noticable that there is a change in his voice, it's a clean voice. But we allready knew it though before we attended the shows and we didn't have any less fun because of it:) Actually, and this is not intended to sound "mean" :wacko: but we made it in to something fun... for instance: We don't really enjoy the SCOM voice he uses right now, so when the song came on, we looked at each other and kind of smiled like "allright. Let's go" :lol: But never in a "oh no...<_<" type of way. I know they will never replace that song, but would be cool to throw in something else, like "Bad obsession". Wouldn't that suit his voice better now?

• Like 2

Everyone feels different at these concerts. It's great that people love it, I'm really happy for my friends, one of my friends said that this was the best thing he's seen since AC/DC in 2010. My firend's cousin said that was the best thing that happened in her life after her son (she couldn't go in 1993, parents didn't let her). Great moments for so many people. I just can't enjoy it, it distracts me from the whole experience. And I don't want to be mean, I only criticize stuff that I love. In this case it's more of an observation.

I finally had the heart to listen to some Axl/DC stuff, couldn't get into it last year, as I was really angry and sad of Brians departure and whatever the actual reasons where. But god damn did I get goosebumps just from watching these Youtube clips. The vocal performances on these songs are out of this world. I really hope this voice comes back to the GnR concerts at some point. Would be legendary. 

It's noticeably weakening now from what I saw of the Paris vids. "Yesterdays" was pretty deflated vocally. 

The touring seems to be taking its toll. Makes me wonder how he's going to get through the next 30+ odd shows. 

If he can complete this tour with no cancellations and without incident - it would be unprecedented and a huge move towards repairing his reputation.

He's going to have to dig deep and finish out the tour as best he can. Those final arena shows in the US might get pretty rough...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slammerjam said:

I finally had the heart to listen to some Axl/DC stuff, couldn't get into it last year, as I was really angry and sad of Brians departure and whatever the actual reasons where. But god damn did I get goosebumps just from watching these Youtube clips. The vocal performances on these songs are out of this world. I really hope this voice comes back to the GnR concerts at some point. Would be legendary. 

And the amazing thing was, as we walked out of the concert (I attended the one in Aarhus, Denmark), everyone was talking about how GREAT he was:heart: People saying "I was sceptical, but he nailed it". And those were hard core AC/DC fans. I even felt sometimes I was at a Gn'R concert, because he still put on the "Axl Rose" we all know persona on stage. Running around, dancing, dressing up in his flannel shirt and bandana and his voice was so raspy and cool!! Great experience

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

It's noticeably weakening now from what I saw of the Paris vids. "Yesterdays" was pretty deflated vocally. 

The touring seems to be taking its toll. Makes me wonder how he's going to get through the next 30+ odd shows. 

If he can complete this tour with no cancellations and without incident - it would be unprecedented and a huge move towards repairing his reputation.

He's going to have to dig deep and finish out the tour as best he can. Those final arena shows in the US might get pretty rough...

I think he has pretty much repaired his reputation at this point. What Is Ironic Is how he can sound so bad on a song like Yesterdays and completely redeem himself by sounding so good on Don't Cry. 

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Axl will find a second wind soon, but it won't be in Europe...I think he's going to have a considerably good US arena leg

Seeing them in Las Vegas twice last year was one of the best experiences of my life, and I can die a happy man. Having them walk on stage again in London gave me goosebumps yet again. However, I've seen a bunch of European shows now, and while Slash absolutely kills it, Axl's voice is just really dragging me down. I'll enjoy the shit out of Nijmegen with a bunch of friends, but I'm probably done buying tickets in advance from now on. Need to check out some YouTube vids to analyze Axl's voice and first and decide to buy (a) ticket(s) on the secondary market. 

Edit= unless AFD5 of course

Edited by The Black

Perhaps he signed off on some papers before the AC/DC tour that leaves all the recording rights to Angus. So Axl can't know what performance will be released as a live record, so he has to bring it every show just in case. :)

Maybe he's saving his voice for the 30th AFD anniversary? Maybe he lost it, the AC/DC tour might have done damage...

Edited by jockethebastard

4 minutes ago, jockethebastard said:

Perhaps he signed off on some papers before the AC/DC tour that leaves all the recording rights to Angus. So Axl can't know what performance will be released as a live record, so he has to bring it every show just in case. :)

Maybe he's saving his voice for the 30th AFD anniversary? Maybe he lost it, the AC/DC tour might have done damage...

Well...his voice was cracking a bit during the last couple Axl/DC shows. I don't think touring with AC/DC for more than a handful of dates is sustainable for Axl - that type of singing is brutal, he's literally screaming from start to finish on every song! 

Edited by RONIN

On 2017-07-08 at 3:25 PM, IncitingChaos said:

Far from screaming

pure control, beautiful vocals...I could go on and on

Videos like these that keeps my hope up. He has total control and the low/middle parts that a lot of folks say was gone is clearly there. 

That second video is just amazing, the sound is really clear. 

• Like 2

Several people who claim to have a decent knowledge of vocal stuff have said that his Axl/DC singing is sustainable but I just don't buy it. If it really was sustainable then why wouldn't he be bringing it for Guns? 

My guess is that the only reason he was even able to do Axl/DC was because he basically took his prime years off from 1993-2006. Thirteen years of his 30s and 40s (not counting handful of 2002 dates where he sang clean and super-safe). But if he tried to sing like 2010/Axl/DC consistently I think he'd be fried in a couple years. Assuming he'd like to go another ten years or so then he's gotta pick his spots. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

Rather simple explanation for why Axl sounds worse than he did last year- he had a vocal coach around the AC/DC dates and was getting consistent conditioning. Notice how around the SA leg his voice was significantly worse than the prior leg, since AC/DC finished about a month or two before then.

9 hours ago, jockethebastard said:

Videos like these that keeps my hope up. He has total control and the low/middle parts that a lot of folks say was gone is clearly there. 

That second video is just amazing, the sound is really clear. 

Here's a clearer sounding version of the first one

Also a couple other great performances from Axl that don't involve screaming

simply great! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I saw about 10 seconds of Jungle on their Instagram story and Axl was a bit mickeyish..not strong tonight (obviously a very small sample size but...) 

Overall, the tone on his clean voice is a bit less mickeyish. Still, a hard time finding the rasp, even when he clearly looks for it. 

9 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Overall, the tone on his clean voice is a bit less mickeyish. Still, a hard time finding the rasp, even when he clearly looks for it. 

I had Yesterdays with a stronger clean voice but it's like he's not even trying on Coma...which I get it it's a tough song, but atleast sound like you care, even if you have to miss a line Bc you need to catch your breath...sounds like he's just mumbling the lines at times. 

Either way I don't think tonight's the night we see anything improve 

• Like 1