The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don’t get the argument that Chinese had no raspy Axl...there was plenty of rasp on that album minus Riad n’ the Bedouins and perhaps Prostitue. Go back and listen to Appetite- Axl was not rasping that hard on most of the songs on the record.

Ok, you have a point. Only, to my ears, its a different kind of rasp. C.D. is clean, then rasp to give more intensity to some words or phrases. Appetite, and UYI specially, AXL keeps a rasp voice through the entire album, unless it is a clean sound he is looking for.
One example, November rain. All the words has some rasp on it. That's my last though on that because I'm going off topic.

10 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Check out the latest PC. Pretty good imo. Well I know it was because Grohl was there... 🤔

i wonder why Axl can’t or stopped being able to sing with his 06 voice. It seemed so effortless and came out brilliant. They are playing the song a million miles an hour and Axl isn’t having trouble keeping pace at all.

in 2017 I️ can hear he’s trying harder but it’s still weak imo 

1 hour ago, default_ said:

AC/DC this, AC/DC that... I dont think AC/DC is going to happen right now. If any of you know how that band operates you know they dont do things this fast, specially now that they've lost most of their core members.

I think it’s important for Angus to get started now. He wants to see what he’s got with Axl, neither are getting younger. I think the faster they start the more time they give themselves to get it right. You can’t release a Rock or Bust album with a new singer. Angus wants to hit a home run here and Axl wants to do it for him. Maybe an album doesn’t come out next year but i think we all feel that there will be work done between Axl and Angus in 2018 in some aspect. 

Axl always sounded shit on Better but damn he keeps getting worse. I can feel the struggle from here, it's just too demanding for him. The high scream parts, the low "all that I wanted" that leads to the final solo and the weak Mickey helium voice at the end are cringe-worthy and painful to watch. He sounds like an amateur. He should consider retiring some songs. Or just retiring from singing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maynard said:

Axl always sounded shit on Better but damn he keeps getting worse. I can feel the struggle from here, it's just too demanding for him. The high scream parts, the low "all that I wanted" that leads to the final solo and the weak Mickey helium voice at the end are cringe-worthy and painful to watch. He sounds like an amateur. He should consider retiring some songs. Or just retiring from singing.

Good ol' Maynard...:lol:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, maynard said:

Nah, no need to retire. Axl is a capable singer still, imo he is just a bit to proud and hopeful with his ability right now. He needs to drop those songs down a notch and will be able to sing them just fine. 

There is no way around it, there are two things that are devasting for male singers: singing at the top of their range and using drive. Axl's done both throughout his career, and his voice paid for it. Bon Jovi and Brian Johnson both did that and adapted for years, it's a matter of trading "wow" moments for a consistent, decent performance.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Nah, no need to retire. Axl is a capable singer still, imo he is just a bit to proud and hopeful with his ability right now. He needs to drop those songs down a notch and will be able to sing them just fine. 

There is no way around it, there are two things that are devasting for male singers: singing at the top of their range and using drive. Axl's done both throughout his career, and his voice paid for it. Bon Jovi and Brian Johnson both did that and adapted for years, it's a matter of trading "wow" moments for a consistent, decent performance.  

Where does Tyler fit in? He seems to just be a total freak of nature. 

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think it’s important for Angus to get started now. He wants to see what he’s got with Axl, neither are getting younger. I think the faster they start the more time they give themselves to get it right. You can’t release a Rock or Bust album with a new singer. Angus wants to hit a home run here and Axl wants to do it for him. Maybe an album doesn’t come out next year but i think we all feel that there will be work done between Axl and Angus in 2018 in some aspect. 

Yeah, its kind of a turning point right now and things might get out of the confort zone, but knowing how AC/DC have always operated... I dont know. I honestly hope it doesnt happen, dont really care for Axl wasting his time on AC/DC while he could do something interesting with GNR. 

Oh, Im a AC/DC fan btw

21 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Tyler has been working in his voice for decades. He's easily one if not the greatest singer you will find, specially at his age. That being said, his shows are far shorter than Axl's, and his songs are arguably less demanding. So there's that to think about as well.

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Tyler sings within his natural voice range 90% of time, deviating from it here and there for impact. His singing voice is pretty close to his talking voice for the most part - it would be similar to Axl using the voice he uses at ISE or Patience for the majority of time in the majority of songs. Even if he used rasp for a few lines at every song, he would probably still have it at this point in his career.

Axl`s singing voice is way, way higher than his natural voice range, which is the Patience voice. He spends the majority of songs way up there, and did that using insane amounts of drive for years and years. That's a recipe for disaster. More so than the rasp, using the upper limits of the vocal range with power is what really kills rockers voices: ir screwed Brian, Robert Plant, Bon Jovi, Rob Halford guys like Elton John. It would sooner or later happen to Axl.

I'd encourage you to research a Brazilian metal band called Angra (you might know it). They had two vocalists who didn't use much rasp, both would hit ridiculously high notes for years, Andre Matos and Edu Falaschi. Both are in their mid 40's now and their voices are absolutely obliterated. Falaschi actually left the band after a disastrous performance in RIR 2011 (ring any bells?  lol) and released a massive, candid statement about no longer being able to sing that high, and how forcing himself to sing at the top of his range was actually starting to ruin his lower range too. He has a new band and stays well within his natural range now.

Axl lasted pretty long for someone who does what he does, as agressively as he does. Longer than Brian Johnson, who ruined his vice in 83, longer than Plant too. There is a chance he actually takes very good care of his voice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

What caught my attention was that even the low "all that I wanted" part sounded bad and Axl was clearly struggling. The song is difficult I know but still... The guy needs rest. And lessons. And a completely reworked set list. None of that will happen and he will keep sounding like shit. It's a shame. Now that Slash is back it would have been really cool if Axl sounded like vintage Axl. He sounds like shit. 

Around 1:17 in, when Axl screams 'D'you know where the fuck you are', he does so in a voice that i have never hear before. Its like he totally shifted into a new voice. Could be a crack in his voice but my god does it sound weird, especially considering how he screams 'you in the jungle' immedietely after like normal. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Jonnyryan said:

Around 1:17 in, when Axl screams 'D'you know where the fuck you are', he does so in a voice that i have never hear before. Its like he totally shifted into a new voice. Could be a crack in his voice but my god does it sound weird, especially considering how he screams 'you in the jungle' immedietely after like normal. Thoughts?

Check the Rio 2017 performance... He does it then too for the first time.. also proshot quality. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 6:32 PM, AlterL said:

Tyler has been working in his voice for decades. He's easily one if not the greatest singer you will find, specially at his age. That being said, his shows are far shorter than Axl's, and his songs are arguably less demanding. So there's that to think about as well.

he had surgery twice, that helps, voice uplift something like that, axl should do it as soon as this leg ends,

He sings songs that he recorded many years ago in a singing voice that is not natural to him. The fact that, at his age, he can still from time to time blow us away with his vocals should be enough. He's not a robot and I for one am pleased that he's still performing. Give the guy a break, My voice is shot, like most peoples, for a couple of days after singing a long with him at a show. He gives a shit, clearly, or he'd just do a standard 90 minute set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening again to the Forum show, and I can't believe how weak Axl sounds on some songs. I mean, he's 55 and all, but he did a lot better last year... 

You Could Be Mine lost all type of epicness with this Mickey voice, it's not an "agressive song" anymore... Just listen to this

I post it here because I don't want to ruin people excitement on the show... I think it was an average 2017 show, and that is dissapointing for me atleast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I was listening again to the Forum show, and I can't believe how weak Axl sounds on some songs. I mean, he's 55 and all, but he did a lot better last year... 

You Could Be Mine lost all type of epicness with this Mickey voice, it's not an "agressive song" anymore... Just listen to this

I post it here because I don't want to ruin people excitement on the show... I think it was an average 2017 show, and that is dissapointing for me atleast

That mid-2010 voice and Bucharest vocal performance was INSANE. No cell phone, old camera whatever recording can avoid showing what a strong, raspy voice he had that night! Better than a lot of 91-93 shows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AFGnR said:

That mid-2010 voice and Bucharest vocal performance was INSANE. No cell phone, old camera whatever recording can avoid showing what a strong, raspy voice he had that night! Better than a lot of 91-93 shows.

This is the best vocal performance of Axl since the 90s. That’s why every time someone tells me that 2006 Axl is the best, i show them this show :)