The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

I mean, madagascar is good now. The intro he sounds raspy, but on the 2nd verse and so on, he switches to falsetto sometimes. But listen to this 2010 madgascar.

its just fucking insane and he looks so relaxed like its not difficult at all. I have no clue why he doesnt sing like this anymore...

3:15-3:30 mark, that scream...

Edited by onurbayrak03

28 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Hey @IncitingChaos i could never ask you what do you consider better. The european or US leg of Axl/DC, related to his voice

European leg was stronger mainly the first few shows. Sevilla is a flawless performance. 

However the US leg was much more polished. You can hear his tone and the way he sang became much less robotic and had a comfort to I‎t. 

With that said he was able to do much better on the Bon material Bc I‎t requires the correct nuances to sound authentic and you look at performances of ddddc, R&R Damnation, High voltage all were much better on the US leg. Plus in an arena setting i found those shows to be the most appealing 

US-philly 

Euro- lisbon 

I‎t just really impressed me how much better he got on these songs. I‎t is amazing how close his tone is to Bon’s he nails it

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Thanks 1

The fact that 54 year old Axl could nail what 33 year old Brian Johnson did on monsters like Hells Bells and Shoot To Thrill still blows my mind. I didn't think Axl still had that in him, especially when you consider that the memories of 2011-2014 were still fresh in all of our minds at that time.

• Like 2

My buddy told me they play Sirius XM at his new job, and the other day they played the Forum show. It lasted til Better before someone turned it off, so I had some more random songs playing today. He's a GNR fan too, went to the Seattle show last year, and we both admit that the Forum show is pretty embarrassing vocally.

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

My buddy told me they play Sirius XM at his new job, and the other day they played the Forum show. It lasted til Better before someone turned it off, so I had some more random songs playing today. He's a GNR fan too, went to the Seattle show last year, and we both admit that the Forum show is pretty embarrassing vocally.

What did you think of the shows you went too this year?

Don't know where to start. But been analyzing Axls vocals since 2001. Some say it is his falsetto that is weak. I would say that is totally wrong. His falsetto is better that during the 90's.

His weakest songs have been YCBM and SCOM for example. Or yesterdays during 2017. Why? These are mid range songs vocally. (And az/dz songs are not)

Something I've noticed is that he's not using his normal, nasal, raspy non falsetto voice, especially in the mid range.. and replace it with a lower and weaker clean falsetto. It is his "normal" low and mid range voice that is worned out and TOO RASPY so he replace it with a weaker falsetto.

A good example is prostitute during verses where he shifts, not so smoth, from falsetto to the deeper nasal mode. Especially during the 3rd verse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen GNR live in 2010 and 2012 and I've noticed that Axl had a lot of delay in his voice.

I don't know the exact name for that effect, but it's something along the lines of - echo/reverb/delay...

Nowadays, more precisely during NITL tour - I don't hear Axl using that delay at all. Perhaps the sound mix is different or Slash suffocates it with his tone...

Anyways... your thoughts?

Edited by scooby845
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I have seen GNR live in 2010 and 2012 and I've noticed that Axl had a lot of delay in his voice.

I don't know the exact name for that effect, but it's something along the lines of - echo/reverb/delay...

Nowadays, more precisely during NITL tour - I don't hear Axl using that delay at all. Perhaps the sound mix is different or Slash suffocates it with his tone...

Anyways... your thoughts?

Acdc learned to use I‎t with Axl. 

2:54 without any effects. 

2:51 with that effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

I prefer it with a delay.

A LOT MORE!

Especially on GNR songs that CRAVE for it! 

I‎t works on parts. I‎t compliments his voice more when he is sounding good like with acdc. 

Im just hoping Axl is getting some rest vocally, then in the summer maybe see where he’s truly at vocally. 2017 was an odd combination of fatigue and poor technique vocally. I’m not sure what he needs to do but someone needs to help him see the connection between ACDC practice helping his gnr vocals 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I‎t works on parts. I‎t compliments his voice more when he is sounding good like with acdc. 

Im just hoping Axl is getting some rest vocally, then in the summer maybe see where he’s truly at vocally. 2017 was an odd combination of fatigue and poor technique vocally. I’m not sure what he needs to do but someone needs to help him see the connection between ACDC practice helping his gnr vocals 

And laziness :P We need a new AC/DC rehearsal so papa Angus gets Axl in shape again

On 12/9/2017 at 8:26 PM, scooby845 said:

On 12/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, scooby845 said:

Say what? His vocals in 2010 were million times better than 2016-17... 

Why wouldn't he need it now?

I was referring to 2012.

• Like 1