The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I honestly think Bucharest 2010 might be his single best concert, period. He sounds almost perfect, consistently, for over 2 hours. Just an unreal vocal performance.

54 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea it’s a voice that would make you stop what your doing and see who it’s coming from. The moment he started singing on that song it became about him. 

The mickey/clean voice he uses is so far from his natural voice that it took him a long time to develop it and he worked to get his voice like that. It would be like a singer with a naturally high voice to become a baritone. It would sound odd and probably not be very good. 

Thats why many feel Axl should stay closer to his natural low voice. Some mistake his mickey voice for Axl losing his voice but it’s a style choice and a poor one at that. 

I’d say LA 06 is better but I think both were perfect based on where his voice was at that time so it’s really just a matter of preference 

Bucharest is absolutely the most consistent ever but there are a few individual performances from other 2010 shows that are better. TIL from Arnem Gelredome is fucking staggering. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Ah, been waiting for that topic to come back.

Just want to give my opinion:

Axl/DC rasp was just amazing.

I would prefer the clean(ish) 2001 voice on all songs to that Mickey/Rasp mix we have now. That way all songs would sound okay and not like now "Jungle sounds awesome but YCBM sucks"

I prefer 2011 Mickey to 2017 Mickey. 2011 didn't hurt in my ears, 2017 kind of does.

I don't get why he sings songs like L&LD,November Rain or SCOM with the Mickey voice. His normal deeper voice would sound really good on these.

I love the Patience-end/Madagascar/Out Ta Get Me deep-rasp he debuted around 2017.

And at last, hate me but I think 2009/2010 was way better than 1987-1993. The rasp was back and he knew how to use it and not over do it this time. I also love the 1999 rasp we can hear on the re-recorded SCOM or the entire Live Era album and prefer this to 1987-1993.

Bring it on, tell me how wrong I am with my opinions lol

You’re very right about live era vocals. Best of the best.

I have that really stupid expectation that in June he will sound like 2010 again. I don't even know why.

Just hoping that it's not 2017 Mickey because as I said that hurt my ears. 2011 wasn't that bad.

But do you really think he's telling the truth? Not saying he's a liar, but if you were a rockstar would you tell people your voice is shot? Or would you be like "Yeah I'm doing that on purpose to piss the fans off"

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

love his emotion on IRS especially 1:08 on LA vid. But just thought I’d post some comparisons of LA and Bucharest, both great performances. I’d still put LA on top 

I hope they bring IRS back this year. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I have that really stupid expectation that in June he will sound like 2010 again. I don't even know why.

Just hoping that it's not 2017 Mickey because as I said that hurt my ears. 2011 wasn't that bad.

But do you really think he's telling the truth? Not saying he's a liar, but if you were a rockstar would you tell people your voice is shot? Or would you be like "Yeah I'm doing that on purpose to piss the fans off"

We've been waiting for him to sound like 2010 since 2010 lo. It's not going to happen. The best we can realistically hope for is probably something close to 2016.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RazorGunner said:

IRS would be totally awesome and appropriate in today's political climate. 

I can imagine some graphics that could accompany that! :D 

Something along the lines of what Roger Waters has done on his latest tour could be cool. 

Just kidding, we all know the graphics for any songs added to the set will still look like Windows Media Player Screen Savers lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RazorGunner said:

IRS would be totally awesome and appropriate in today's political climate. 

I can imagine some graphics that could accompany that! :D 

It's a song that needs sharp vocals though. I don't think Axl can perform it properly at this point.

5 hours ago, tremolo said:

It’s an incredible song, but I truly believe GNR should get someone more creative for their big screen videos/graphics. Everything they’ve used looks dated and tacky as fuck. I know GNR have never been an artsy band, but there is a lot of wasted potential there to improve the stage setting.

I rather enjoyed the graphics, they were really incredible and added to my enjoyment of the shows. :) 

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

"Incredible" is the last thing I'd call those graphics.:lol: Some people are easily pleased I guess.:shrugs:

Insinuating there is something inherently wrong with someone that likes things you don't is a mistaken assumption and may be due in part to a bit of cognitive dissonance effect. 

The graphics added to my enjoyment, I hope to see some different ones with the next tour hopefully. 

• Like 1

I have another theory about his voice....
In order to get the rasp effect of his voice, I don't think he actually used to shout much. It requires excellent diaphragm control, slower/controlled breathing, minimal lung force - all of which help control the vocal cords and slow their vibration which allow for the rasp effect. Now that he is older, I think he is relying on his lungs more for breathing while singing especially when he is active on stage.

He hasn't really blown out his voice, as he reaches higher notes no problem.

12 minutes ago, zepsun said:

I have another theory about his voice....
In order to get the rasp effect of his voice, I don't think he actually used to shout much. It requires excellent diaphragm control, slower/controlled breathing, minimal lung force - all of which help control the vocal cords and slow their vibration which allow for the rasp effect. Now that he is older, I think he is relying on his lungs more for breathing while singing especially when he is active on stage.

He hasn't really blown out his voice, as he reaches higher notes no problem.

He is still awesome with higher notes and that was especially evident during songs like Back In Black and Shoot To Thrill. The midrange seems to be where he struggles to achieve his classic voice, instead opting to use this horrible falsetto. He may just as well try to use his lower voice which still sounds great instead but he just doesn't which is a shame. I really want to know what Slash thinks of Axls falsetto, IMHO it sounds like a worse MK. Atleast MK still has some sort of cool tone to his voice, Axl just sounds like Mickey.

• Like 1

As far as the screens, the rat or whatever in CITR is kinda cool for the 5 people in the crowd who've seen the alt. CD artwork, It's So Easy and Civil War are basically what you'd expect. But I can't think of any others off the top of my head that weren't distracting/out of place; the AFD monster jumping through signs in Nightrain, the disco balls on I Feel Good, the TV screens and speakers and stuff on WTTJ, the media-player (or failed psychedelia?) display on Brownstone, the fucking skeletons on RQ, etc...

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As far as the screens, the rat or whatever in CITR is kinda cool for the 5 people in the crowd who've seen the alt. CD artwork, It's So Easy and Civil War are basically what you'd expect. But I can't think of any others off the top of my head that weren't distracting/out of place; the AFD monster jumping through signs in Nightrain, the disco balls on I Feel Good, the TV screens and speakers and stuff on WTTJ, the media-player (or failed psychedelia?) display on Brownstone, the fucking skeletons on RQ, etc...

Personally, I dug the terminator graphics on you could be mine. Since it’s a weaker dung song these days, I liked the distraction. 

3 hours ago, RikardL said:

There has been a lot of talk about his tonal change but has anyone else noticed that his timing is quite off at times? He phrases some parts really weird! The verses of Better is a good example! 

He’s been terrible at times with gnr on his timing and being out of key. With ACDC it’s not a problem Bc everything hits at the correct time, so it’s easy to stay with the music. There’s too much going on with gnr so he gets lost sometimes on his phrasing and if he needs to catch up or slow down. 

It was much better at the beginning of the tour but sometimes he just gets lazy I think