The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

13 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Today I was listening Dead Horse and I thought....this would’ve been great unplugged.

Fuck me....why couldnt they do that.

Its a pitty really

I remember a story about Axl wanting to do it and Slash being the one that didn’t want to. But maybe I have that mixed up. 

On 7/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, killuridols said:

Ok, I'll give you that 'My Michelle' you just posted :lol:

But your theory is plain wrong. Like I told you before, he's mickeymoused the whole planet by now.

That awful DVD 'Appetite For Democracy' is Mickey Mouse in full mode in Las Vegas, USA.

The Bridge School Benefit disaster happened in the United States.

And this is from last year in the USA too and it is just as awful as those Paris videos :facepalm:

Jesus, that is horrendous.

1 hour ago, Tucknroll said:

Range definitely gone. Seems like the band had to kinda play down to go with his singing . I can't really explain it but you'll see. He let the crowd hit the high notes for him lol

Gotcha, thanks. Well, a lot of bands do tune down to make it easier vocally. Does anyone know if Guns alter their tunings on certain songs?

54 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Gotcha, thanks. Well, a lot of bands do tune down to make it easier vocally. Does anyone know if Guns alter their tunings on certain songs?

they don't. and range isn't the problem with Axl's voice. 

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Guns have played a half step down since thier conception. Some of the Chinese material is in drop d, but that's still doesn't deviate away from the half step down just drops the low e to d. 

Everything he sang live with AC/DC was in standard. 

Axl sings the way he wants to sing and according to what he feels the song needs. 

56 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

The voice Axl doesn’t seem to have that’s disappeared with age is the one at 1:02 here. Him singing “sick of this life” the way he sings that is clean and perfect! I think he could hit the higher notes in this song still but that clean soft voice was awesome back then 

Which is so puzzling to me. The voice most similar to his talking voice, and least demanding to use, he has lost. But he can still belt it out like it’s 92 at times.

29 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Which is so puzzling to me. The voice most similar to his talking voice, and least demanding to use, he has lost. But he can still belt it out like it’s 92 at times.

Which gives credence to an old theory that he had surgery to repair damage to his vocal chords. A simple surgery can damage ones natural vocal style. Axl has never admitted to it or been asked directly but for a singer that put his voice out there every night it wouldn’t be shocking if he did have to have a surgery. More shocking would be if he didn’t 

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Which gives credence to an old theory that he had surgery to repair damage to his vocal chords. A simple surgery can damage ones natural vocal style. Axl has never admitted to it or been asked directly but for a singer that put his voice out there every night it wouldn’t be shocking if he did have to have a surgery. More shocking would be if he didn’t 

There is not documentation about him having surgery?

• 2 weeks later...

Here in santiago 2017 axl sound's good, much better than rock in rio ... in nightrain sings great but in SCOM , NR axl in problems...

for example coma sound's good in comparation to chile in 2016

Axl is a box of surprise....

I think Axl's voice over the years is an interesting one and the variability will be down to a lot of things.

Look at the VMAs - he was anxious about the return and trying to sing clean = disaster. 

Some shows he will be relaxed and having a blast = great. 

Dunno over the course he gets more abuse than he deserves, any gig ive been to live he sounded swell.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Cuban Skies 87 said:

I think Axl's voice over the years is an interesting one and the variability will be down to a lot of things.

Look at the VMAs - he was anxious about the return and trying to sing clean = disaster. 

Some shows he will be relaxed and having a blast = great. 

Dunno over the course he gets more abuse than he deserves, any gig ive been to live he sounded swell.

The question with Axl’s voice is how much was it style induced, and how much was damage induced. Did he change his vocals Bc of damage or to create a new style for his nugnr? 

Regardless he returned to a classic sound in 06 and went full 90’s rasp in 2010 but then reverted back to his early 2000’s clean voice but with less power. So if you look at it as a whole he’s followed a trend.

80’s clean natural voice to 90’s rasp, to early 2000’s clean falsetto sound. 

06 clean natural tone, 10 rasp, 11-14 clean falsetto. 

Is that pattern a matter of his voice falling to the fatigue of singing live or does he get bored singing one way. 

I would love to talk to him about it if he was open to talk about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Why does Axl insist on keeping the CD songs in the set when he sounds dreadful on every single one of them? 

Songs that Axl can still pull off:

It's So Easy

Mr Brownstone

Jungle

Double Talkin Jive

Rocket Queen

Nightrain

Civil War

KOHD

LALD

The Seeker

Patience (minus the outro)

^^^ 

That's really it, isn't it? I can't think of a single CD song that he's sounded good singing on the NITL tour. Even the title track, which is arguably the easiest track to sing from Chinese Democracy, sounds ropey these days (check out his awful rendition from the 2017 Live at the Forum soundboard).

TIL has always sounded crappy live and TWAT is just shockingly woeful every time. I actually feel embarrassed for him when he does this.

Edited by Towelie