The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

He's just saving it for the long run, he sounds raspy on Jungle everytime. His voice is great in my opinion, I'm a singer and I think he has plenty of control of the situation. 

He should use more rasp IMO but may have gotten an advice from his vocal coach to keep it safe, who knows

It's not out of the question that Axl takes GnR's success in Europe and everywhere else for granted. We've heard him talk about not having done proper American tours in the past (around the period of the TMS interview). I think he just knows that America in general are less "sold" on the GNR status of icons, so he goes out there trying to prove people wrong. It's like with AC/DC everybody and anybody was saying it was a mistake, he couldn't sing and he'd never pull it off... Axl went out of his way to prove them all wrong. If Europe and other countries were like that, we'd get great performances too.

I Think it's utter bollox that he puts more effort into one leg than the other. We can talk about "saving his voice" but Axl is not the only singer in his fifties singing with an aggressive style, look at Hetfield, while he isn't hitting the same high notes (he still still sings quite high, try and sing along), he is using "full rasp" consistently for each show, he rarely has a bad night vocally and he typically doesn't save his voice (In fact Metallica are a FAR tighter live entity). Steven tyler, Sammy hagar, and many, MANY more older statesmen go out there consistently and sing to a pro standard. 

Slash is also a weak link though... so... it's hard to just blast Axl... but the consistency of Slash is a whole lot better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I work with singers all the time and if they sang like Axl (as he is today)  I'd give them the boot. He hits pitch, but there's absolutely no body behind it a lot of the time. There's more to singing that reaching the intended pitch night after night, you have to sell the note - use some strong vibrato, sustain it with body. He has moments where he sings well and holds notes really well, like the sustained notes in Civil war, but on other songs he doesn't have an ounce of power, the best example being November rain and Sweet child. Regardless of your opinion of liking what's going on right now, everyone has to admit that both of those songs suck live and have done so for years now, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the band (as much as some of you want to place blame on the additional members). Axl not being able to pull off his biggest songs is unacceptable. Change the key, rearrange the song into a different version whatever... just don't perform to an average to medium level.

Definitely agree, if you can't sing the song the way you used to with your current voice then you need to figure it out, starting with learning how to sing the songs in a way that works for you currently, instead of just waffling through it. 

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I work with singers all the time and if they sang like Axl (as he is today)  I'd give them the boot. He hits pitch, but there's absolutely no body behind it a lot of the time. There's more to singing that reaching the intended pitch night after night, you have to sell the note - use some strong vibrato, sustain it with body. He has moments where he sings well and holds notes really well, like the sustained notes in Civil war, but on other songs he doesn't have an ounce of power, the best example being November rain and Sweet child. Regardless of your opinion of liking what's going on right now, everyone has to admit that both of those songs suck live and have done so for years now, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the band (as much as some of you want to place blame on the additional members). Axl not being able to pull off his biggest songs is unacceptable. Change the key, rearrange the song into a different version whatever... just don't perform to an average to medium level.

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a singer myself but never studied much... I always thought that the mickey thing was his current tone, and not much his fault, sometimes I like his clean head tone and sometimes I think it has too much air going on (falsetto), but overall he has good control. Maybe he's just lazy on this leg and isn't doing a proper exercise before the shows, or any training at all.

4 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a singer myself but never studied much... I always thought that the mickey thing was his current tone, and not much his fault, sometimes I like his clean head tone and sometimes I think it has too much air going on (falsetto), but overall he has good control. Maybe he's just lazy on this leg and isn't doing a proper exercise before the shows, or any training at all.

Sometimes I like the clean voice too, like how he sings Civil war, but it has power behind it. 

Glad his coach is out with him, but I have my doubts that you could tell Axl to do anything he doesn't want to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

He's just saving it for the long run, he sounds raspy on Jungle everytime. His voice is great in my opinion, I'm a singer and I think he has plenty of control of the situation. 

He should use more rasp IMO but may have gotten an advice from his vocal coach to keep it safe, who knows

He's not raspy on many parts on Jungle lately...it's actually been stronger at times during 11-14 than it is now. 

I was in Stockholm. Just two, three songs were weak by Axl. He did good. 

He struggled most on Better, and CD songs. 

Overall the band wad fantastic. 3h 9min of magic. 

And to that stupid moron bashing Slash: 

Slash is the star of the current production. Very noticeable when you go to a concert. He is a fucking monster, and played three straight hours with total energy and commitment.

If you want to criticize Slash, I suggest you go wank off to some fucking shit metal band in stead. This is GnR. You clearly can't grasp the concept of that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think it could be an easy fix honestly. I doubt Axl will do it though, it would mean rehearsing and training like he did for AC-DC. Probably isn't worth the effort to him.

Yea it's clear watching videos of Rock n roll damnation and Rock Roll Thunder than Axl has the voices he needs to give a complete performance on the gnr front, but we need a new album or something to get him in a room working on his vocals again for something gnr related. 

Idk what it will take for him to change...maybe we need a public disaster performance again for him to rethink singing like this 

What a bunch of knobs you lot are. It ain't the xfactor!

slash played the wrong note, axl sings out of key!

try going, it's a massive rock event. Went to London gig 60000 slightly drunk people an amazing experience much better than being sat in your bedroom alone watching shit YouTube videos.

2 minutes ago, spunton said:

What a bunch of knobs you lot are. It ain't the xfactor!

slash played the wrong note, axl sings out of key!

try going, it's a massive rock event. Went to London gig 60000 slightly drunk people an amazing experience much better than being sat in your bedroom alone watching shit YouTube videos.

I'm sure being slightly drunk makes Axl's vocals sound better, yeah. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

1:09-1:12 shows how weak Axl's voice...the whole song sucks but you listen to that note collapse and you wonder 

Aye great mate , just like being at the gig haha. 

Is that ultra hd quality with surround sound. You should try going it's an event where you enjoy yourself , not just sit n watch crap videos like that.

4 minutes ago, spunton said:

Is that ultra hd quality with surround sound. You should try going it's an event where you enjoy yourself , not just sit n watch crap videos like that.

Went to 3 shows last year...all great! Of the songs that werent good was Paradise City.  Even live it's terrible now 

7 minutes ago, spunton said:

here, I found higher quality of tonight's show...turns out the quality of the camera didn't save the shitty vocals, maybe in the year 2020

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

here, I found higher quality of tonight's show...turns out the quality of the camera didn't save the shitty vocals, maybe in the year 2020

Mate it's recorded on a phone. It's great actually being there!