The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

On 7/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, T-Minus said:

I won't spend a single penny on a ticket in his current state.  The last time I saw him live was 2012 and I left after about 50 mins then... And to think, he's 10 times worse than that now.  It's completely embarrassing.

And yet you still take the time to browse and post on a GNR forum. I don't get this! If you are that disatisfied why are you still here? Do you think at 57 Axl will all of a sudden change his voice? I agree he is not as good as i years gone by but he is still an outstanding singer and frontman in my view. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

And as far as I know, most people attending the shows leave satisfied. So what do you make of that? 

Hard of hearing? Tone deaf? 

I really don't get it to be honest. It's why I feel like some of the press has been paid for.

Edit:

In all of the years I've been a fan of the band, I never thought I would feel the way that I currently do. It's sad.

Edited by F*ck Fear
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jw224 said:

This is pretty much how I feel. I would never be able to afford to go see them but the people who are going are spending a lot of money for him to do the only thing he's there to do well. It doesn't matter how well the rest of the band plays Axl's bad vocals are what stand out and are sadly what people focus on. 

I'm one of those that actually PAID to go to a concert and not someone constantly watching on their computer like you and many others who are complaining non stop about his vocals. His vocals may not be what they were back in the late 80s/early 90s, but they are still very good in concert.  Rather than complaining, how about saving some money and actually going to a concert to see for yourself. 

41 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I really don't get it to be honest. It's why I feel like some of the press has been paid for.

Edit:

In all of the years I've been a fan of the band, I never thought I would feel the way that I currently do. It's sad.

Then simply don't listen if you think and feel that way.  I really don't get people like you who complain non stop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bangit said:

And yet you still take the time to browse and post on a GNR forum. I don't get this! If you are that disatisfied why are you still here? Do you think at 57 Axl will all of a sudden change his voice? I agree he is not as good as i years gone by but he is still an outstanding singer and frontman in my view. 

I don't get it either.  Why do people waste their time listening to a concert via their computer and then complain about it on a fan forum? If you don't like something, don't waste your time doing it. Life is too short. 

Edited by Draguns
typo
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I don't get it either.  Why do people waste their time listening to a concert via their computer and then complain about it on a fan forum? If you don't like something, don't waste your time doing it. Life is too short. 

Axl said that performing with the band is a lot like sport, I'd say being a fan is the exact same thing.

You stick by your team through the highs and lows, thick and thin, but predominantly you want to see them winning. It's probably the case for a lot of us here. I'm sure a lot of these guys who broadcast their different opinions have been through the mill with following this band. From the demise of the UYI lineup and throughout the Chinese era and the quiet periods in-between that would probably be enough to alienate fans that follow another band and devote their time elsewhere, but for whatever reason, we're all here. When I go to see Guns, I obviously ensure that I enjoy myself, but enjoying the performance is also a big part of it and you want the band to be showing the casual's that are in attendance that they are the best at what they do, at least for me anyway. 

I'm not at the stage of being scunnered with Axl like some others are, I really enjoy the shows that they put on and for me most of the show is really good with some parts of it that doesn't do anything. The man is 56 and still showcases what an incredible voice he has for the most part, that's enough for me. However, I genuinely did think Axl had lost his voice around 2013, he just didn't seem the same and performances seemed to be increasingly less lively. That was my opinion up until those recordings of the people outside the rehearsal studio in Lisbon where Axl was rehearsing with AC/DC. That was proof to me that ginger cunt still had it and I've kept faith ever since. I never tire of telling that story.

TL;DR

It's like sport. You watch a team you support through trophy success and lows of relegations, defeats. You continue to invest your time anyway possible, because you support them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

I'm one of those that actually PAID to go to a concert and not someone constantly watching on their computer like you and many others who are complaining non stop about his vocals. His vocals may not be what they were back in the late 80s/early 90s, but they are still very good in concert.  Rather than complaining, how about saving some money and actually going to a concert to see for yourself. 

Then simply don't listen if you think and feel that way.  I really don't get people like you who complain non stop. 

I think telling people with different opinions to shut up is really not a good way to discuss things. The whole "I was there so his vocals were magically better" argument is quite tired. We're entitled to say how we feel about his voice just as much as you are to say you like it. The atmosphere of the show allowing you to overlook his vocals does not equal them being better. If you enjoyed it that's great, although I don't understand why differing opinions seem to bother you so much. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

Sure, everyone is entitled to think and discuss what they want about it, but the people who paid to see them live have a lot more weight in their opinions. People aren't leaving shows talking about how terrible Axl Rose sounds, they're leaving talking about how great the show was. 

Speaking from personal experience, I've only been to one show and that was Melbourne last year. Axl was good at times, not great at others, but the main thing I took out of the show was how cool it was to see them live and how fun the experience was, not dissecting how Axl's voice through every song. At the end of the day if you think it's shit don't pay for a ticket, but I paid $350 to be there and didn't regret it at all. 

For the people who've seen them once, it's not usually "that bad". I get it. In Vegas 2016 I was aware of Axl's weak voice on some songs like YCBM or Better, but his good moments outweighed those, and seeing Slash and Duff by his side made up for any shortcomings.

However, as the tour's gone on, they've played some of the same markets multiple times (I saw them 5 times in 2016-17), with diminishing performances of essentially the same show. Slash is the highlight of the tour, the novelty has faded and Axl's voice has worn to a point where, on a bad night, he's in Vince Neil territory. Now I also saw Motley 5 times between 2006-13, they were fun shows, sometimes Vince even sounded not bad, but overall I went in with low expectations for him, and mainly went to hear the band and have fun with friends. Nowadays I think plenty of people know what Axl generally sounds like, so if he doesn't sound worse than normal, it's hard to complain. But he's definitely not the 'star of the tour' anymore.

• Like 1

I saw them in 2011, at a time when this board was saying he was the worst he ever was, yet it was an awesome time and an awesome show and people now talk about how good he sounded in 2011-2012.. Then again, everyone complained about the 2001-2002 voice and now the board is going nuts over it. Almost like GNR's hardcore fan base are a bunch of fickle cunts or something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stro said:

I saw them in 2011, at a time when this board was saying he was the worst he ever was, yet it was an awesome time and an awesome show and people now talk about how good he sounded in 2011-2012.. Then again, everyone complained about the 2001-2002 voice and now the board is going nuts over it. Almost like GNR's hardcore fan base are a bunch of fickle cunts or something.

The board is in agreement that 2006 and 2010 were his best years and by virtue of his recent performances we now feel 2001 and 2011-12 wasn’t that bad...that’s how bad he is currently. But don’t take it as 2001-2002 and 11-14 were some golden years, we agree he wasn’t that good vocally then but once again compared to today they were better years. 

For example: if I’m eating dirt I might say “wow it wasn’t that bad when I had to eat broccoli, but a steak would be amazing!”

2018 = dirt 

2001,2002,2011,2012,2013,2014 = broccoli 

2006,2010 = steak

18 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

The board is in agreement that 2006 and 2010 were his best years and by virtue of his recent performances we now feel 2001 and 2011-12 wasn’t that bad...that’s how bad he is currently. But don’t take it as 2001-2002 and 11-14 were some golden years, we agree he wasn’t that good vocally then but once again compared to today they were better years. 

For example: if I’m eating dirt I might say “wow it wasn’t that bad when I had to eat broccoli, but a steak would be amazing!”

2018 = dirt 

2006,2010 = steak

Dunno what shows you've been watching but 2018 sounds better than pretty much anything from 2012/2013 to me

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

Which songs do you think Axl sounds vocally better on? 

Wasn't really talking about specific songs, but when I've watched videos from those years he generally sounds worse on most songs then now. 

Here's one example:

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

Did they change the tuning on Coma? Sounds like Axl is singing in a different key, not even reaching for a high note

Nah already discussed in a different thread, that guy uploaded a few videos and something was fucked up with the sound, they're playing it the same way they have all tour

5 minutes ago, Caedo said:

Wasn't really talking about specific songs, but when I've watched videos from those years he generally sounds worse on most songs then now. 

Here's one example:

Nah already discussed in a different thread, that guy uploaded a few videos and something was fucked up with the sound, they're playing it the same way they have all tour

id say the don’t cry’s sound similar, but for the most part his voice was stronger in 2013. I think the last show they did jungle sounded better, but still not better than it was in 12 or 13. 

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

2018 = dirt 

2006,2010 = steak

And yet there were posters saying 2006 didn't sound all that great when listening to it now just recently. This is a fan base that is never pleased about anything for more than a few hours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stro said:

And yet there were posters saying 2006 didn't sound all that great when listening to it now just recently. This is a fan base that is never pleased about anything for more than a few hours.

haha it was probably me, I said I didn't think his Paradise City performance at Download in 06 was that good, but compared to now it's incredible. 

We have entire shows in 06 and 10 that are great from beginning to end. No performance let down on any song, that can't be said for any performance in 01-02 or 11-18 

6 hours ago, Draguns said:

I complain because in any incarnation this is my favorite band. The music means a lot to me, and it's clear the guy is fucking phoning it in!

I realize Axl is not going to sound the way be did in 1993, and I do not expect him to.

I may not be able to afford to go to every single fucking concert that they play, but I have also PAID to see them my fair share, and after hearing his vocals in 2017, I passed (for the first time in my life) on seeing them.

Until there is proof that this style is not intentional, I'll complain.

Thank you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stro said:

I loved the 2001-2002 vocals at the time :shrugs:

8 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I think it is because most people attending the shows aren't that focused on Axl. And if they are, they aren't that critical. We tend to focus on the flaws, to most other people the occasional flaws get drowned in the totality of the experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bangit said:

Sorry I got your knickers in a twist!  Just stating an opinion that he sounds horrific, which he certainly does. 

As for why do I browse the forum?  I browse the forum simply to discuss just how good the band was.  I browse the forum because there is not a lot of other places to chat with people who are fans of the "new GnR" era, an era which had excitement, mystique and NEW music.  An era where Axl had something to prove and was hungry, compared to this era where he couldn't give a fuck and is not hungry because he seemingy ate everything.

It's a sad state of affairs when the "Most Dangerous band in the world" charge their fans for "Golden Circle" tickets, and fortunes for a box set that was recorded before a lot of their fans were old enough to know what was going on. 

No hunger, no desire, plenty moolah and a half baked, cash grabbing, all too samey set of tours doesn't get me excited especially when the boss sounds like an even more geriatric version of Herbert the Pervert from family guy.  And to think, he'll probably do as he did before, sing like absolute shit and go through the motions, head to AC/DC and actually put effort in , sound great, come back to GnR and sound like a deflating rubber dinghy again.  Very sad...

I hope I've justified myself to you, i'll not sleep tonight if I think that I haven't provided a good enough reason for being here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I think telling people with different opinions to shut up is really not a good way to discuss things. The whole "I was there so his vocals were magically better" argument is quite tired. We're entitled to say how we feel about his voice just as much as you are to say you like it. The atmosphere of the show allowing you to overlook his vocals does not equal them being better. If you enjoyed it that's great, although I don't understand why differing opinions seem to bother you so much. 

Not when it's endless amounts of complaining. If you give feedback then say what should improve. There's just too much negativity.