The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Axl needs to be honest with himself.  We have been baffled for some time on this forum, wondering what is the matter with his voice.  If he can fix it, well then do it.  If not, thats fair enough.  its understandable that singing like that can be tough at his age.  But what they need to do is start tailoring the show around that.  Get Duff to sing some more songs, cut the screams in LALD, drop the songs that sound terrible, add songs that fit in that lower register, make an album of new songs that fit your current range.

• GNFNR 1

Drop YCBM and RQ, have Izzy guest and do Dust N' Bones and 14 Years instead :P 

Could also drop Yesterdays and swap it with So Fine with Duff.

Axl's singing is minimal on these songs so he'd have more time to recover between songs.

I'd pay to see such a gig. As it is, I've passed on going to Taipei and Hong Kong.

EDIT: Swap TIL or Better with Shackler's since he can use his low voice on that and it was one of the few songs that sounded decent in SA 2014. Also, yeah, cut the setlist down to <2.5 hours.

Edited by Amir

While it undoubtly exists, the problem with Axl's voice in 2018 is much exaggerated. On European Leg 2018 he soudned better overall, than on EU 2017. Just compare PC from Mannheim, Paris or Tallin to random in 2017's - they're not "much-much" but obviously better. Though, he indeed failed first 6-7 concert this summer, which included one of the worst performances on tour. And I know what I'm talking about, as some sort from Europe for myself and had been tracking every show there for two years and attended three. 

I saw some songs form Mexico 2018 and Axl was in a low form, but, was it unexpected on the first show of the leg wich he fails almost every time? His screams on Civil War was shortened as they were on the first 6-7 shows of 2018, so nothing new. Moreover, they did not play SOYL as he wasn't ready I suppose. But, must say, south countries was always today's Axl weak spot and I wrote about it earlier. If to look the retrospective, the "best Axl" we get when the band plays covered stadiums, arena etc. or in some cases - North America or Europe. Probably his voice just can't stand humidity of warm countries or something (Rio, Mexico). So, don't expect great vocals on this leg, which includes such markets as Africa and UAE.  

So, the thing is, when they'll be back to NA, he'll sound decent again, as he did on most USA shows two years in a row and if he wouldn't - that'll be a sign for panic. But now - secondary markets, hot countries - he just can't do it or doesn't intend to. However, if you want to try luck - wait for Philippines show, which will take place on the biggest arena in the world or even the Hong Kong Arena shows, as if Axl won't warm-up for the 3rd gig, he should for the 6th or 7th and so that's the only realistic spots to examine his voice.  

Yet again, it makes concerns that in 2016 he sounded great for 3/4 of the shows, in 2017 for 2/4 of the shows and now on, well, 1/4...? But let's wait some real legs and then decide.

And as a bonus, check it out PC form London 2017 and Mannheim 2018 - the second, at least, is not worse. 

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 1

If Axl had the same superpowers as his amphibian namesake, Axolotl, he could regenerate his voice as they regenerate their limbs:

Regeneration

The feature of the salamander that attracts most attention is its healing ability: the axolotl does not heal by scarring and is capable of the regeneration of entire lost appendages in a period of months, and, in certain cases, more vital structures. Some have indeed been found restoring the less vital parts of their brains. They can also readily accept transplants from other individuals, including eyes and parts of the brain—restoring these alien organs to full functionality. In some cases, axolotls have been known to repair a damaged limb, as well as regenerating an additional one, ending up with an extra appendage that makes them attractive to pet owners as a novelty. In metamorphosed individuals, however, the ability to regenerate is greatly diminished. The axolotl is therefore used as a model for the development of limbs in vertebrates.[21][22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

i know we had this setlist discussion over and over but i still dont get why the fuck he decides to put himself and the band and the audience through 3,5 hours of pain if he could just play for 2 hours just like all the other bands out there and put on a better show...
The first couple of songs are always great (jungle is solid but not too bad most of the times), live and let die and slither are the last songs of the 1st listenable part
then we have RQ, YCBM, TIL, Civil War and Coma, even thinking of all those songs played back to back and imagining axl trying to sing them makes me cringe.. i'd cut probably all of them (maybe except CW) and throw probably another duff song in ... then we have the boring section including 3 hours guitar solo, SCOM, 1,5 hours of instrumental shit before NR, some covers here and there and all this leads to the 10 min KOHD.. i know SCOM and NR are classics and probably 3/4 of the audience is there to hear those 2 songs, but if I had to choose I would cut them as well and put some songs easier to sing and easier to listen to in there. nightrain is always a relief for me, it doesnt make u fall asleep and axl often sounds decent.. Im quite happy with the encore, patience is a classic and sounds good same with dont cry, maddy is my favorite song off CD (even though they dont always play it), the seeker is a great straight rock number that suits axls voice, and of course you have to end with PC
I know this is not a setlist thread but if I could choose a set for them even just for one show it would be like this:

1. ISE
2. Brownstone
3. CD
4. Jungle
5. DTJ
6. Dont Cry
7. Slither
8. SOYL
9. Attitude (Duff on vocals)
10. So Fine/Dust n Bones (Duff on vocals)

Acoustic Part:

11. You Aint The First
12. KOHD (short version)
13. Patience

14. Pretty Tied UP
15. LALD
16. Maddy
17. OTGM/Michelle
18. Slash guitar solo (max 5 mins!!!!!!!!)
19. Nightrain

Encore:

20. Estranged
21. Seeker
22. PC

• Like 1

Looks to be that Axl's 'GNR voice' is finally acknowledged in the business...

"Slade, who played drums for AC/DC's "Rock Or Bust" world tour after Phil Rudd was arrested for drug possession and threatening to kill an employee, told Eonmusic in a new interview that Axl fronting AC/DC definitely re-energized the band. "Yes, absolutely," he said. "Angus [Young, guitar] was running around like a schoolboy, you know?! It did reinvigorate the band. Brian is great, as we all know; he's a great personality and a great guy. Axl brought his voice to it. Like, I couldn't believe the notes he hit; it was staggering. And I actually had no hope at all. When I heard that Axl was going to be in the band, I thought, 'Oh, what?!' Because I'd only ever heard that GUNS N' ROSES voice, but all great singers, they can change the timbre of their voice, and wow, he hit notes that dogs can only hear. It was unbelievable! I thought he did an amazing job. I could hear him very clearly because I use in-ear monitors, and it's the best I've ever heard the band."

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

The question is, who's voice is worse these days -- Axl or Jon Bon Jovi? 

Bon Jovi fans have a topic debating that question on their forum. They generally think Jon's are worse -- https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-jovi-discussion-f7/who-do-you-think-got-worse-vocals-jon-t70435/

They are right. Axl can sound awesome when he wants to but he is fucking lazyass. We should tell him in some way that he can do vocal exercises, some scales etc. while playing fortnite. Water instead of beer would be good for his voice too.

I was listening to an old bootleg recording that my friend made (on cassette) from the 12/31/91 show in Miami that I attended and was doing some comparisons with the high quality recording of the 8/8/17 that was uploaded on this site.  First of all, back in 1991 (at least at that show) Axl sang SCOM in kind of a low register.  He rasped the hell out of it (almost too much) but he didn't seem to go as high as he does now in the "clean" voice.  YCBM was no comparison, hard core rasp the whole time in 1991 vs. the clean voice now.  I will say that "you're breakin' down my back....haven't grown up yet" there seemed to be about the same amount of skipped syllables back then.  Don't Cry sounded pretty much identical until the "You'll feel better tomorrow" line.  In 1991 he goes super raspy but not really high pitched and in 2017 the clean voice kicks in on "in the morning light."

The KOHD audience response part, the final call out by Axl sounded better in the 2017 show.  In 1991 he didn't go high pitched at all.

Anyway, my point is that much of the time he sounds pretty good in comparison to the "good old days" vs. Jon Bon Jovi who can't sing anymore at all.  I think the biggest issue with Axl's voice is that when he has to/wants to go to the "clean" voice it sounds nothing like the way the song was recorded.  Probably the worst song is YCBM just because it is such an in-your-face rocker and is meant to be sung angry.

Honestly, listening back to that old show, I think Axl sang with too much rasp a lot of the time.  I'd guess that he could sing like that if he wanted to for short periods now but I'd guess that it probably starts to hurt his throat to do it at his age and leads to a "tired" voice.  I know that being older now, when I get back from a football game where I scream a lot, my voice will be hoarse for hours.  That didn't happen in my 20's.

9 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Honestly, listening back to that old show, I think Axl sang with too much rasp a lot of the time.  I'd guess that he could sing like that if he wanted to for short periods now but I'd guess that it probably starts to hurt his throat to do it at his age and leads to a "tired" voice.  I know that being older now, when I get back from a football game where I scream a lot, my voice will be hoarse for hours.  That didn't happen in my 20's.

Also, AXL usually had issues with monitoring, so he had to scream to hear himself. The rasp would come naturally due to the stress submited to the vocal cords.

14 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

While it undoubtly exists, the problem with Axl's voice in 2018 is much exaggerated. On European Leg 2018 he soudned better overall, than on EU 2017. Just compare PC from Mannheim, Paris or Tallin to random in 2017's - they're not "much-much" but obviously better. Though, he indeed failed first 6-7 concert this summer, which included one of the worst performances on tour. And I know what I'm talking about, as some sort from Europe for myself and had been tracking every show there for two years and attended three. 

I saw some songs form Mexico 2018 and Axl was in a low form, but, was it unexpected on the first show of the leg wich he fails almost every time? His screams on Civil War was shortened as they were on the first 6-7 shows of 2018, so nothing new. Moreover, they did not play SOYL as he wasn't ready I suppose. But, must say, south countries was always today's Axl weak spot and I wrote about it earlier. If to look the retrospective, the "best Axl" we get when the band plays covered stadiums, arena etc. or in some cases - North America or Europe. Probably his voice just can't stand humidity of warm countries or something (Rio, Mexico). So, don't expect great vocals on this leg, which includes such markets as Africa and UAE.  

So, the thing is, when they'll be back to NA, he'll sound decent again, as he did on most USA shows two years in a row and if he wouldn't - that'll be a sign for panic. But now - secondary markets, hot countries - he just can't do it or doesn't intend to. However, if you want to try luck - wait for Philippines show, which will take place on the biggest arena in the world or even the Hong Kong Arena shows, as if Axl won't warm-up for the 3rd gig, he should for the 6th or 7th and so that's the only realistic spots to examine his voice.  

Yet again, it makes concerns that in 2016 he sounded great for 3/4 of the shows, in 2017 for 2/4 of the shows and now on, well, 1/4...? But let's wait some real legs and then decide.

And as a bonus, check it out PC form London 2017 and Mannheim 2018 - the second, at least, is not worse. 

Humidity is the reason his voice sucks? C'mon, man. :facepalm:

The best show of the whole tour was in Texas, in the summer, when it was hot as hell. He sounded pretty good in Mexico in 2016, and in contrast he's sounded bad in Canada, Europe and Japan where it's definitely not as hot/humid. And it's a stretch to say he sounded good for half the shows last year... he sounds bad because, most likely, he doesn't rehearse or do any vocal maintenance between legs.

Some songs sounded alright in 2018, like SOYL or Madagascar, but there's still generally the same number of listenable songs per show as there's been since 2017 (which is at most 10 songs per show, btw)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The best show of the whole tour was in Texas, in the summer, when it was hot as hell. He sounded pretty good in Mexico in 2016, and in contrast he's sounded bad in Canada, Europe and Japan where it's definitely not as hot/humid. And it's a stretch to say he sounded good for half the shows last year... he sounds bad because, most likely, he doesn't rehearse or do any vocal maintenance between legs.

Some songs sounded alright in 2018, like SOYL or Madagascar, but there's still generally the same number of listenable songs per show as there's been since 2017 (which is at most 10 songs per show, btw)

I have thought that the humidity helps his voice/singers in general.  I saw them in Orlando, FL in 2016 and Miami, FL in 2017.  Both shows were incredibly humid (Slash had sweat pouring off of his arm the whole show, especially in Orlando).  Both shows were among the top vocals of the tour.  Not perfect on every song but certainly Top 10 of NITL overall.

I mean, singers drink in between songs to lubricate their throat.  They don't open their mouth in front of a fan to dry it out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

I have thought that the humidity helps his voice/singers in general.  I saw them in Orlando, FL in 2016 and Miami, FL in 2017.  Both shows were incredibly humid (Slash had sweat pouring off of his arm the whole show, especially in Orlando).  Both shows were among the top vocals of the tour.  Not perfect on every song but certainly Top 10 of NITL overall.

I mean, singers drink in between songs to lubricate their throat.  They don't open their mouth in front of a fan to dry it out!

I agree. The excuse of 'humidity makes his voice weaker' is just funny. Of the 2 shows I saw in 2017, the show at the Gorge was definitely more hot and humid, but it was also a better show overall.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:05 AM, GNRfanMILO said:

This is how Axl should sound nowadays... Steven is fucking 70 years old. And we have to celebrate when Axl rasps two words in Rocket Queen.

2:45

Steven Tyler Is in a league of his own. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

For sure it's not the only or even the major factor, but weather, temperature, air's cleaness also affect singer's voice . If it's dusty how do you sing? Especially when you need so much air as Axl needs. The are many additional reasons, such Axl's lazyness and absence on rehearsal, but all factors matter. One of the best shows was in Texas, right... but it was on a covered NRG stadium! The same thing in Arlington - also a good show. These are one of the biggest covered stadiums in the world. So, artificial conditioning, no dust or other distractions. I don't say that this is a panacea, but what a coincidence, that the longest Axl's "good form run" took place on NA arena shows in autumn 2017. In europe sometimes he was bad, sometimes good, but overall - better than in SA or Australia. In Japan he was good only on Tokyo shows (besides, on an arena also), but the leg had started with this region, so he was just unprepared.  In Mexico 2016 he sounded good because it was a part of a several reunion show-off shows, where he rehearsed and wanted to impress everyone. Vegas, Coachella - all these shows where decent in terms of voice, despite some other misses. So, the scheme is pretty the same: Axl needs time to get into "touring" with several shows (usually up to 10), it gets faster when stadiums are covered (NA 2016 and 2017) and prefers countries with more mild climate.    

Yet again, he does not improving, more worsening, but I can't say that it's so serious. I mean, SA 2016 wasn't a top spot either, but he nailed many shows the next year. This time he improved a bit on EU shows, but now again in a low form. Axl's voice rollecrcoaster, if you want. He's like a stock market - to go up, he needs to back down, ha-ha. Nevertheless, the venue and the region really matters, maybe not the major factor, but it does. 

Edited by nikothebellic

19 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I was listening to an old bootleg recording that my friend made (on cassette) from the 12/31/91 show in Miami that I attended and was doing some comparisons with the high quality recording of the 8/8/17 that was uploaded on this site.  First of all, back in 1991 (at least at that show) Axl sang SCOM in kind of a low register.  He rasped the hell out of it (almost too much) but he didn't seem to go as high as he does now in the "clean" voice.  YCBM was no comparison, hard core rasp the whole time in 1991 vs. the clean voice now.  I will say that "you're breakin' down my back....haven't grown up yet" there seemed to be about the same amount of skipped syllables back then.  Don't Cry sounded pretty much identical until the "You'll feel better tomorrow" line.  In 1991 he goes super raspy but not really high pitched and in 2017 the clean voice kicks in on "in the morning light."

The KOHD audience response part, the final call out by Axl sounded better in the 2017 show.  In 1991 he didn't go high pitched at all.

Anyway, my point is that much of the time he sounds pretty good in comparison to the "good old days" vs. Jon Bon Jovi who can't sing anymore at all.  I think the biggest issue with Axl's voice is that when he has to/wants to go to the "clean" voice it sounds nothing like the way the song was recorded.  Probably the worst song is YCBM just because it is such an in-your-face rocker and is meant to be sung angry.

I believe he had throat nodules in 1991, which contributed to his gargling glass rasp sound for that leg of the tour. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he had them cut out before the 1992 leg, and you can hear a pretty significant difference in his voice, rasp and clean.

21 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Jon Bon Jovi’s voice is completely gone. He can’t even do the verses which are basically him talking in a low voice while standing motionless without sounding like he’s in agony.

Axl is simply asking too much of himself. If he did a show the same length as the Ritz in 88, it might be a different story.

Yeah 1h show including 25 minutes of slash wanking and 15 minutes of knocking on heavens door

I truly believe that Axl blew out his voice during his time in AC/DC.  Soon after they wrapped up their shows in the fall of 2016 and Axl returned to GNR, his vocal delivery completely suffered.

Here’s a full 2016 concert with a very solid vocal performance, right before the AC/DC tour.  

Every other performance with GNR since has been drastically reduced in vocal delivery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Axl/DC have nothing to do with his voice problems. After the last Axl/DC run there was a few month to the next GNR dates in South America. In that period I guess he didnt prepared himself(again) 

Axls voice problems must be because of no practice and no vocal coach... 

Second run with ACDC was a lot worse than first one to be honest

On 05/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, jacdaniel said:

Axl needs to be honest with himself.  We have been baffled for some time on this forum, wondering what is the matter with his voice.  If he can fix it, well then do it.  If not, thats fair enough.  its understandable that singing like that can be tough at his age.  But what they need to do is start tailoring the show around that.  Get Duff to sing some more songs, cut the screams in LALD, drop the songs that sound terrible, add songs that fit in that lower register, make an album of new songs that fit your current range.

This. Just listen to the Seeker - sounds good. Not many singers in the whole world can pull off the really challenging GNR songs,  they're brutal. And besides, Axl's peers are all in the same boat - Hetfield, Araya, Mustaine and Cornell's voices were all wrecked when I last saw them live years ago, as are Bon Jovi's, and basically many of the older hard rock guys. GnR just need to cater for it. Slash and Duff's fingers don't age like the singer's vocal apparatus. 

• Like 1