Jump to content
Pedrolg

The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, ironmt said:

He would never reduce himself to playing that "my tractor and dog down by the barn" bullshit. 

Wichita Lineman is a classic country song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Nightrain from the other day was unreal. I thought it was some kind of spoof at first. He's using like five different voices and they're all terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From now on every penny I give to this band is a donation for axl to fund vocal surgery and lessons with a vocal coach 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Wichita Lineman is a classic country song.

I think some of the old country Is excellent but for the most part I despise It. Love Waylon Jennings though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ironmt said:

I think some of the old country Is excellent but for the most part I despise It. Love Waylon Jennings though. 

I'm a Waylon fan too, I like the old country guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect time to bring back Down on the Farm, no rasp needed here:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amir said:

Perfect time to bring back Down on the Farm, no rasp needed here:

 

He sounds really good, just natural breathing, his singing comes across as effortless.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most of jungle is weak now. He can't dig down deep enough to get anything with power out. Just doesn't seem to have it right now. Even when he sounds decent he's using an odd array of vocals to get the sound close but it's not good. Gotta wonder what's going through his mind as he's hearing himself try to hit these notes at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

most of jungle is weak now. He can't dig down deep enough to get anything with power out. Just doesn't seem to have it right now. Even when he sounds decent he's using an odd array of vocals to get the sound close but it's not good. Gotta wonder what's going through his mind as he's hearing himself try to hit these notes at the moment. 

Unusual. It sounds less mickeyish than I expected, but it really seems like he is going a long way to avoid using rasp. It's a bit deeper than his usual falsetto and very clean for WTTJ, a song where he usually brings out a bit of rasp. Odd, and it indicates he is aware of issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

I don't usually post on the forum, but there's a few things i wanna point it out;

There's a discussion about weather and southern coutries to justify Axl sounding bad at Rock in Rio ('17). Well, everyone agrees that SA '16 wasn't a prime, and it's inferior to NA 16,  but it still had really strong performances. I attended to the Rio concert and Axl sound really good (except for the usual weak songs) but rasped in a lot songs, even PC.

Check this video from WTTJ in Brasília 16, in my opinion it's better than any rendition of the song in 2017 and 2018 and it happened after the 2nd leg of Axl/DC. With that said, I don't think that the country influences his voice.

 

Another point:

Axl's best years vocally were '06, '10 and '16. In all these three years he had long breaks before. In '06 he had 4 years of rest; In '10 he had 2 years. In '16 he had almost 2 years, since the last performance of NuGNR was in july '14. I mean, he comes back strong, and eventually loses his voice. Sure, he sucked in '01 after a long hiatus, but back then he was trying somethin' new with his voice, but even then the mickey was stronger and had a lot more power to sustain the notes than nowdays.

I don't think Axl is done, he's just tired and worned out, if he takes a 2 year break again, i believe he can sound like '16 again. The problem is to extend the tour for 3 years, with this huge setlist and insane amount of concerts. The perfect scenario for the future is to release a new album (yes, I still think it can happen haha) and tour a 20-song setlist for 3 months and rest for 5 or 6, like someone said above.

 

Sorry for my english, btw

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kayo Michell said:

Hey!

I don't usually post on the forum, but there's a few things i wanna point it out;

There's a discussion about weather and southern coutries to justify Axl sounding bad at Rock in Rio ('17). Well, everyone agrees that SA '16 wasn't a prime, and it's inferior to NA 16,  but it still had really strong performances. I attended to the Rio concert and Axl sound really good (except for the usual weak songs) but rasped in a lot songs, even PC.

Check this video from WTTJ in Brasília 16, in my opinion it's better than any rendition of the song in 2017 and 2018 and it happened after the 2nd leg of Axl/DC. With that said, I don't think that the country influences his voice.

 

Another point:

Axl's best years vocally were '06, '10 and '16. In all these three years he had long breaks before. In '06 he had 4 years of rest; In '10 he had 2 years. In '16 he had almost 2 years, since the last performance of NuGNR was in july '14. I mean, he comes back strong, and eventually loses his voice. Sure, he sucked in '01 after a long hiatus, but back then he was trying somethin' new with his voice, but even then the mickey was stronger and had a lot more power to sustain the notes than nowdays.

I don't think Axl is done, he's just tired and worned out, if he takes a 2 year break again, i believe he can sound like '16 again. The problem is to extend the tour for 3 years, with this huge setlist and insane amount of concerts. The perfect scenario for the future is to release a new album (yes, I still think it can happen haha) and tour a 20-song setlist for 3 months and rest for 5 or 6, like someone said above.

 

Sorry for my english, btw

Well, decent Jungle and I also watched other songs from the show - Axl was a great form there, on par with NA 2016. I have thought that there were no really great concerts in SA 2016, but was wrong. 

However, was amused by the other thing. 

maxresdefault.jpg

During SCOM Axl was in his FREAKIN' FUCKIN" yellow coat. The only time along the tour when I spot it, maybe there are more. I supposed he has buried it, as he should. 

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Unusual. It sounds less mickeyish than I expected, but it really seems like he is going a long way to avoid using rasp. It's a bit deeper than his usual falsetto and very clean for WTTJ, a song where he usually brings out a bit of rasp. Odd, and it indicates he is aware of issues. 

I think that’s a good analysis even if it contradicts what I said. I feel like you grasped the vocal approach better than I did. My only concern is I’ve never heard Axl resort to these vocals quite in this way in so much of the show the way he’s doing now. I’d say we are in new territory vocally for Axl’s career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that’s the only day he wore the yellow raincoat again :D Im sure it was on purpose!

CxwcaFDWIAAmlWm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the best jungle I’ve heard from Axl in a while...I’d put this above anything from 2009 on. 

2016 cincinatti to me is the benchmark 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nikothebellic said:

Well, decent Jungle and I also watched other songs from the show - Axl was a great form there, on par with NA 2016. I have thought that there were no really great concerts in SA 2016, but was wrong. 

However, was amused by the other thing. 

maxresdefault.jpg

During SCOM Axl was in his FREAKIN' FUCKIN" yellow coat. The only time along the tour when I spot it, maybe there are more. I supposed he has buried it, as he should. 

In SA '16 he sounded rough on the first concerts in Peru, Chile and Argentina, but by the time he hit Brazil his voice got solid and raspy in all 7 or 6 concerts in Brazil (especially Brasília and Curitiba), Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico. And yes, Brasília was the only time he wore the fuckin' yellow raincoat, and I really think It was to mock himself haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCOM I recorded yesterday in philippines, and SCOM from Sao Paulo, Brasil Sept last year... both from front and center. You guys decide if theres differences.

Sao Paulo was nearing the end of the South American leg but also in between US dates. Philippines is 3rd show of this leg.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

SCOM I recorded yesterday in philippines, and SCOM from Sao Paulo, Brasil Sept last year... both from front and center. You guys decide if theres differences.

Sao Paulo was nearing the end of the South American leg but also in between US dates. Philippines is 3rd show of this leg.

 

I think 2018 is slightly better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

As far as the best jungle I’ve heard from Axl in a while...I’d put this above anything from 2009 on. 

2016 cincinatti to me is the benchmark 

A WTTJ performance that doesn't have Slash noodling the intro for 40 years?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

A WTTJ performance that doesn't have Slash noodling the intro for 40 years?

Axl should always lead the intro. I hate the current one 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sl4yer said:

I think 2018 is slightly better

Agreee. Though upon watching the vid again, I noticed a lot of Mickey. Didnt notice it as much live cuz of the crowd drowning his voice. 

I dont know why the crowd singing isnt recorded much on the vid, I guess cuz the speakers there were really loud.

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this recent don't cry version from Manila interesting. First of all he uses slightly more power with his deep nasal voice on the choruses and he have this deep rasp after the solo (but has always had that). The he goes clean before the last chorus but push the second part/Outro with some decent rasp. 

Actually one of the best don't cry versions from NITL tour, 2016 included.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 11:06 PM, Sydney Fan said:

He sounds really good, just natural breathing, his singing comes across as effortless.

Totally right. Can’t believe folks ever complained about that Axl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycgunner said:

Totally right. Can’t believe folks ever complained about that Axl!

Did many? This was just after Sebastian Bach got Axl in touch with his vocal coach and he was usually in top form.  Not sure what happened since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×