Jump to content
Pedrolg

The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I like to listen to Axl at the Rose Bar when I’m depressed. So many similarities to his voice in the 90’s here 

 

Magic. Absolutely on fucking fire here!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I feel you on that totally but I firmly believe that Axl's voice is not irreversibly damaged.  I think he needs 6 months to a year of vocal rest then start from there, whatever that entails.  But I think if Axl were to get into better physical shape that his voice would improve dramatically.  I think that's the most important thing really.  

 

I think getting into a good physical shape would make it a bit better, but honestly I think that doing AC/DC completely shot his voice... He was damaging it for 30 years and then he decided to do a massive tour over 2,5 years with at least 3 hours almost every night + 2 legs with acdc at the age of 54.. From the troubadour show on until Dubai in early March 2017 he didn't have a real break that was longer than a month or so, and then from May on until the end of November without a single break... I know he wanted this tour to be big and successful (and it was!) and he wanted to do ACDC, but a schedule like that, in two bands with amazingly difficult songs to sing, with barely any break is really a bit irresponsible, and when you're in your mid 50s your voice should definitely be permanently damaged 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I think getting into a good physical shape would make it a bit better, but honestly I think that doing AC/DC completely shot his voice... He was damaging it for 30 years and then he decided to do a massive tour over 2,5 years with at least 3 hours almost every night + 2 legs with acdc at the age of 54.. From the troubadour show on until Dubai in early March 2017 he didn't have a real break that was longer than a month or so, and then from May on until the end of November without a single break... I know he wanted this tour to be big and successful (and it was!) and he wanted to do ACDC, but a schedule like that, in two bands with amazingly difficult songs to sing, with barely any break is really a bit irresponsible, and when you're in your mid 50s your voice should definitely be permanently damaged 

The fact is axl doesnt treat his voice well. This is from a singer who barely rehearses with the band , or before each new leg. Just expects to have 3 months off and jump onstage as if he can pickup where he left off. If axls voice is supposedly gone for a 54 year old, whats steven tylers excuse and hes pushing close to 70. Hes even had to call upon the services of his vocal coach from the illusion tours to improve his voice.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The fact is axl doesnt treat his voice well. This is from a singer who barely rehearses with the band , or before each new leg. Just expects to have 3 months off and jump onstage as if he can pickup where he left off. If axls voice is supposedly gone for a 54 year old, whats steven tylers excuse and hes pushing close to 70. Hes even had to call upon the services of his vocal coach from the illusion tours to improve his voice.

Yes that's true but it's not the only reason... We've had the comparison to Steven Tyler loads of times.. 1st Aerosmith don't do 2-year-tours, they do a 3/4-month run and then go on hiatus for a year or so.. Then Steven's natural voice is high already which makes it easier for him to reach high notes while axls natural voice is very deep, so he has to try real hard to hit notes.. And of course you are right, Steven does a lot to save his voice, he is in an amazing shape especially considering his age and lifestyle, and he surely prepares better before a new leg or tour, while axl seems to go on stage without any preparation, but after all Steven is the exception in the rock world, most singers have voice issues coming with age. JBJ, Robert Plant, Vince Neil, Paul Stanley and of course Axl 

I agree, a bit of preparation wouldn't hurt him or his voice but it won't bring back 90s axl or even 2010 axl and it won't kill the mickey voice, it would probably be a 2016 situation, which would still be a big step forward at the moment 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said it many times...Tylers speaking voice is the same as his singing voice.

Axl singing voice is a creation...if he sang with his natural voice like he does in many songs, his voice wouldnt be shot.

I still believe he can be Axl in studio. I hope he tries to do a record with his demon voice, like the one he used in Angel Down. Then he can do his best live wether he mickeys it or whatever.

I hope Slash and Duff help him make the right choices on the future GnR record.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:
23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I feel you on that totally but I firmly believe that Axl's voice is not irreversibly damaged.  I think he needs 6 months to a year of vocal rest then start from there, whatever that entails.  But I think if Axl were to get into better physical shape that his voice would improve dramatically.  I think that's the most important thing really.  

 

I'm not counting him out, but it's getting close. AC/DC was BY FAR the brightest glimmer of hope we have. But so many things are wrong with that, one being that he only did it with them, not GNR. 2016 is seen as a good year for Axl's vocals, but really...? Such distorted reasoning there. Yes, he was fine on some songs, and parts of others, but how he sang NR, Don't Cry ending, Sweet Child O Mine (the absolute worst vocal song of any GNR show since 2011), Estranged ending, RQ ending, PC, the list may go on, really leaves a lot to be desired. This was all while he was killing it with AC/DC. I'll stick up for Axl and say that I think AC/DC is infinitely easier to sing than GNR, but still...it's HIS fucking music that he's butchering.

Can he turn it around? I won't count him out, because he's one of the greats, but unlike my belief that he would eventually reunite with Slash, I'm betting on "No", we won't see any better singing than we have seen since 2011.

22 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I like to listen to Axl at the Rose Bar when I’m depressed. So many similarities to his voice in the 90’s here 

 

I appreciate 2006 and 2010. I was still getting used to the way he looked (I couldn't get the image of the old Axl out of my mind), but that's another topic I guess. But 7 years of not sounding like 2006 and 2010 has damaged my hope for Axl in the current..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PirateRadio said:

 

I  don't know if Axl has the motivation to take the measures to improve his voice at this point.  Hell, I don't know if I would either. Too bad he doesn't have a backup or understudy to push him.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I  don't know if Axl has the motivation to take the measures to improve his voice at this point.  Hell, I don't know if I would either. Too bad he doesn't have a backup or understudy to push him.😄

If he didn't do it for the "reunion" than he never will

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl is an amazing singer. His problem is that when performing live he's running around all over the shop trying to put on a show and not focusing on his voice. He's had this bad habit since the UYI shows. There's a reason some of the best GNR shows are from the 80s when Axl didn't have room to run around and all he had was the microphone stand, so he could focus his energy and attention on just singing the damn song.  

This performance is a good example of how on-point Axl is when he just focuses on singing:

Axl Rose is a singer, not a dancer. The dude still has it in him, he's just wasting shitloads of energy bouncing around the stage when he should just plant himself and sing the fuck out of his kick-ass songs.

Edited by GonzoThesaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

Axl is an amazing singer. His problem is that when performing live he's running around all over the shop trying to put on a show and not focusing on his voice. He's had this bad habit since the UYI shows. There's a reason some of the best GNR shows are from the 80s when Axl didn't have room to run around and all he had was the microphone stand, so he could focus his energy and attention on just singing the damn song.  

This performance is a good example of how on-point Axl is when he just focuses on singing:

Axl Rose is a singer, not a dancer. The dude still has it in him, he's just wasting shitloads of energy bouncing around the stage when he should just plant himself and sing the fuck out of his kick-ass songs.

I kind of agree with this... some of the best versions of LALD, WTTJ, Nightrain, Estranged, etc are from the 'throne' era. But on the other hand, being stuck in a chair didn't make Rocket Queen, YCBM, Better, SCOM, etc sound any better than normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

Axl is an amazing singer. His problem is that when performing live he's running around all over the shop trying to put on a show and not focusing on his voice. He's had this bad habit since the UYI shows. There's a reason some of the best GNR shows are from the 80s when Axl didn't have room to run around and all he had was the microphone stand, so he could focus his energy and attention on just singing the damn song.  

This performance is a good example of how on-point Axl is when he just focuses on singing:

Axl Rose is a singer, not a dancer. The dude still has it in him, he's just wasting shitloads of energy bouncing around the stage when he should just plant himself and sing the fuck out of his kick-ass songs.

That's probably true, but Axl running around on stage is just a big part of their show. And honestly I rather have him running around and enjoying himself than sitting on a throne or just standing in front of his mic stand like JBJ just to improve his vocal performance by about 5%

Cause the difference between the throne shows and the NA 2016 leg is not that big but I barely watch any of the throne shows while I love the NA shows just for that reason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I kind of agree with this... some of the best versions of LALD, WTTJ, Nightrain, Estranged, etc are from the 'throne' era. But on the other hand, being stuck in a chair didn't make Rocket Queen, YCBM, Better, SCOM, etc sound any better than normal.

The best RQ of the tour he was actually healed from the foot and bouncing around. I remember being really excited when hearing it. I thought Axl had finally found his groove, and was starting to get close to some of the 2006 stuff, after nailing the AC/DC gig. Then it all went downhill.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl running around doesn’t affect his voice as much as it does the notes. He’s not able to finish notes like an album version, often shortening the note, but vocal use is typically fine when he’s moving quite a bit. Axl has incredible stamina and he himself has ackowledged this as he was a cross country runner as a kid. 

Obviously as he’s aged he has lost some of his stamina but he can still pull it off. 

 

hes good on patience ending

my Michelle he’s highly energetic on and uses the bouncing around for vocal effect. That up and down sound comes out of his voice through that movement. So sometimes it’s for effect

youre just not going to see this level of running and vocals again. But it creates an incredible atmosphere for a lead singer to be moving like this. The energy is unreal

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock the Rock!  Sounds so much like an AXL/DC tune.. Love his voice hear.  Still has a great scream but sounds what I would expect an Axl Rose in his 50s to sound like.

 

Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it is very clear Rock The Rock was recorded rather recently, which proves he's still got the chops. 

Please release new music!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

To me it is very clear Rock The Rock was recorded rather recently, which proves he's still got the chops. 

Please release new music!

I really never doubted his ability in a studio. It's a very different environment from running around a stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

So many others... Hell's bells, thunderstruck, rock or bust, rock n roll train... Basically a lot of the set was Mickey free. Not saying Mickey didn't show up, touch too much for example but it was on the complete flip side to the GNR set 80% rasp, 20% Mickey; stop complaining.

 

 

agree with thunderstruck and rock or bust

mickey showed up on all the others

touch too much, probably a top 3 acdc song, was pretty much unlistenable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danijel00 said:

Hells Bells, Rock or Bust, Thunderstruck, For those about to rock, Highway to hell, High voltage, Rock n roll train....should I continue?

agree with rock or bust and thunderstruck

mickey showed up on all the others you mentioned

highway to hell was unlistenable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Are you for real dawg? I remember him sounding consistently awesome. Fairly weak on a few songs like Dirty Deeds but cut the guy some slack.

P.S. has the situation in Brazil calmed down?

some people mentioned rock or bust and thunderstruck as mickey free -- and i agree

all the others were mickey infested

there is zero mickey on "rock the rock" so that is very good

===

brazil is a mess right now -- too complicated to explain

for you to have an idea, this evangelic preacher (video below) is the person who is gonna take care of Brazilian entire school/education system

If things keep on going like that, soon Brazil will turn into an armed teocracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEAzldLOoIc

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×