The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

On 5/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, Original said:

Axl’s isolates vocals.  Singing IRS.  Was kinda cool....just Axl.  

Dude his vocals are CRAZY on IRS. Absolutely love that track, great rocker. Hopefully the new album has a few like that if we get it. I'd love to hear The Garden isolated vocals, both songs hold great notes at the end

On 5/9/2019 at 3:19 PM, Jw224 said:

Listening to IRS isolated makes me realise how similar his high voice is still now. It's just much weaker and as a result sounds flat and mediocre. Live anyway. 

I think the same thing with If The World. Wish they'd bring that tune back, i bet he could still hit some of the high notes, and the parts that are raspy (like the end lines of the verses) he could sing similarly to the way he sings in AC/DC

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Wonder if their berlin show make the cut. Maybe in a bloopers disc.

Along with Slash's testicle, the time they ran into each other, and there must be a show where Axl fell (apart from Troubadour) lol

4 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Along with Slash's testicle, the time they ran into each other, and there must be a show where Axl fell (apart from Troubadour) lol

I saw a video when he was singing Used To Love Her and his microphone fell down, it was pretty funny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, Jw224 said:

I would say that if bad Axl vocals would ruin your enjoyment of the show totally then there's a high chance you won't have a good time and as you say you'd feel like your time and money were wasted. If you can look past it however then I'd say go and have a great time. :headbang:

If you get to the first 20 rows you don't notice the mickey voice too much because of the distortion of the PA being so near, but being a festival it depends. I was near both at Madrid 2017 and Download Madrid 2018, I didn't really notice Mickey in 2017 but I realized it in 2018 (sound was lower and it was mixed differently)

Edited by fanfzero

6 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

If you get to the first 20 rows you don't notice the mickey voice too much because of the distortion of the PA being so near, but being a festival it depends. I was near both at Madrid 2017 and Download Madrid 2018, I didn't really notice Mickey in 2017 but I realized it in 2018 (sound was lower and it was mixed differently)

I don't know what the venue is like for ACL, but I was front row in Vancouver 2017 and Gorge 2017. The sound is notoriously bad at BC Place, and there were several times during the Vancouver show where Axl sounded terrible. Gorge is an amphitheatre, and the sound (and the vocals) were better (and more consistent) at that show.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't know what the venue is like for ACL, but I was front row in Vancouver 2017 and Gorge 2017. The sound is notoriously bad at BC Place, and there were several times during the Vancouver show where Axl sounded terrible. Gorge is an amphitheatre, and the sound (and the vocals) were better (and more consistent) at that show.

ACL is held at Zilker Park, which is Austin's equivalent of Central Park (NYC). The other Friday night headliner, The Cure, should be performing at the same time as GNR, about half a mile away. Expect some bleed through from The Cure show during the quieter parts of GNR, and even more if the winds are strong. I recall seeing Stevie Wonder at ACL in 2011 and hearing the other Saturday night headliner, My Morning Jacket, in the background during the entire gig. I was on a riser around 1000 feet from the Stevie Wonder stage. ACL is not a festival for audiophiles. :shrugs:

Edited by rockphantom

1 minute ago, rockphantom said:

ACL is held at Zilker Park, which is Austin's equivalent of Central Park (NYC). The other Friday night headliner, The Cure, should be performing at the same time as GNR, about half a mile away. Expect some bleed through from The Cure show during the quieter parts of GNR, and even more if the winds are strong. I recall seeing Stevie Wonder at ACL in 2011 and hearing the other Saturday night headliner, My Morning Jacket, in the background during the entire gig. I was on a riser around 1000 feet from the Stevie Wonder stage. ACL is not a show for audiophiles. :shrugs:

That's unfortunate... sounds like your options are either 1) fight the crowds and get somewhat close to the stage, or 2) watch/wait for the pro-shot like the rest of us. If one-day tickets are reasonably priced and it's not inconvenient to travel to, I'd say go with some friends, have a few beers and try to get at least 100-200 feet from the stage.

13 minutes ago, rockphantom said:

ACL is held at Zilker Park, which is Austin's equivalent of Central Park (NYC). The other Friday night headliner, The Cure, should be performing at the same time as GNR, about half a mile away. Expect some bleed through from The Cure show during the quieter parts of GNR, and even more if the winds are strong. I recall seeing Stevie Wonder at ACL in 2011 and hearing the other Saturday night headliner, My Morning Jacket, in the background during the entire gig. I was on a riser around 1000 feet from the Stevie Wonder stage. ACL is not a festival for audiophiles. :shrugs:

Now that is weird, never considered that.  Hearing It's Friday I'm in Love and Don't Cry simultaneously. 

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That's unfortunate... sounds like your options are either 1) fight the crowds and get somewhat close to the stage, or 2) watch/wait for the pro-shot like the rest of us. If one-day tickets are reasonably priced and it's not inconvenient to travel to, I'd say go with some friends, have a few beers and try to get at least 100-200 feet from the stage.

Unfortunately, I have a mobility impairment and can't maintain my balance too well in a rowdy crowd. When I go to a GA show, I try to stand in the fringes of the crowd. At ACL in 2011, I was able to get onto the ADA platform for Stevie Wonder. I will try that again for GNR. The downside is that the ADA platform is at least 1000 feet from the stage. At 41 years of age, it's gotten to the point that attending live shows is becoming more trouble than it's worth. Even capturing audio of concerts with my Sony PCM-M10 recorder and CA-11 mics has lost its thrill. Getting older is no fun. The only upside to the ACL gigs (for me) is that tickets are cheap (by GNR standards; around $115 for a single day) and I can go to the show with some very good friends. I still have 4 months to decide, and the picture will become clearer for me in early September. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Unfortunately, I have a mobility impairment and can't maintain my balance too well in a rowdy crowd. When I go to a GA show, I try to stand in the fringes of the crowd. At ACL in 2011, I was able to get onto the ADA platform for Stevie Wonder. I will try that again for GNR. The downside is that the ADA platform is at least 1000 feet from the stage. At 41 years of age, it's gotten to the point that attending live shows is becoming more trouble than it's worth. Even capturing audio of concerts with my Sony PCM-M10 recorder and CA-11 mics has lost its thrill. Getting older is no fun. The only upside to the ACL gigs (for me) is that tickets are cheap (by GNR standards; around $115 for a single day) and I can go to the show with some very good friends. I still have 4 months to decide, and the picture will become clearer for me in early September. 

It'll be interesting to see what the buzz is like around these shows, especially now that Slash has confirmed they'll be working more on the new album after these festival shows.

Does the ADA platform 'sell out'? Could you buy tickets, then sell them if you change your mind? Are the fringes of GA usually closer to the stage than the ADA platform?

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It'll be interesting to see what the buzz is like around these shows, especially now that Slash has confirmed they'll be working more on the new album after these festival shows.

Does the ADA platform 'sell out'? Could you buy tickets, then sell them if you change your mind? Are the fringes of GA usually closer to the stage than the ADA platform?

The ADA platform is further away if memory serves me correctly. Tickets are not sold for the platform. 
You need to go to "guest relations" and apply for ADA accommodations.
Then it's first come, first serve, to get onto the platform.

I would head straight for the platform and wait for GNR.
I don't give a crap about any of the other bands on the bill.

I plan to buy a single vanilla GA ticket and try my luck on the day of the show.

I wonder if a mod could move the Austin City Limits Festival specific comments to the ACL thread?

I feel odd straying from the topic of this thread.

@Gibbo Could you please help us out? Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

None of that explains the discrepancy between Axl /DC and the last few performances of This ILove before he canned it. 

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

And then they put the YT video of November Rain from Appetite for Democracy in the article ffs. . Not exactly the best kind of promo for Anderson 

• 5 weeks later...