The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Great read. However, I wouldn't be so sure he still works with the guy nowadays. It was because of AC/DC, wasn't it. 

He obviously hasn't worked with him "full time" through the years. But Ron Anderson attended a GnR show, in 2017 I think, so they must be in touch. He also did an interview recently and talked about working with Axl (the link was posted a few pages back).

This article is further support to my theory that, in the studio, Axl could sound almost like 1980's Axl with multiple takes and only recording one song in a day (or week).  He could also (with proper preparation) probably sound like the UYI tour Axl for one show after weeks or months of vocal rest.  The problem is that I don't think it is physically possible for him to sing like that at his age when doing shows every few days.  I just think his vocal chords can't recover and he'd barely be able to sing at all in the subsequent shows.

I was in the pit for a show in 2018 and he was standing very close to where I was during one of the long note/screams after the "when you're high..." line in Jungle.  Watching the movements of his neck muscles really shows how much physical strain there is to sing like he does.

I would imagine that there are times when it hurts to try and sing a high note with rasp.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

That really is an interesting article even though it's almost 32 years old.  The way Axl describes how damaging his style of singing really is on his vocal folds(chords) and throat.  And how something as seemingly benign as driving through high altitudes can adversely effect your voice and hearing.  I'm a singer and it's amazing how the human voice changes on a daily basis and how a myriad of different things effect it. Btw, I've played the "really small place" in Phoenix that Axl referred to.  It was a place called The Mason Jar but has recently changed ownership and changed the name to the Rebel Lounge.  Guns played a one off show there in September of '87.  I was so excited to be playing a club where they had played. 😊 

Could this be a one of the reasons why his voice sounds right now?

ps. Didn't know you're a singer too. :thumbsup:

ps.  On youtube there is a cool interview with Ron, called: You never allow the music to take you away- ultimate voice training with Ron Anderson . Check what he's got on his wall at his home ;)

Edited by Politania

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite Axl performances what 2010 at the Rose Bar.  Right at his 2010 peak.  Perfect rasp and perfect tone at this gig.  Just listen to the Mr. Brownstone from this show.  Not a single crack, great control, and his tone is spot on.  One of my biggest regrets was not seeing them in 2010.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 7:20 PM, Gnrcane said:

This article is further support to my theory that, in the studio, Axl could sound almost like 1980's Axl with multiple takes and only recording one song in a day (or week).  He could also (with proper preparation) probably sound like the UYI tour Axl for one show after weeks or months of vocal rest.  The problem is that I don't think it is physically possible for him to sing like that at his age when doing shows every few days.  I just think his vocal chords can't recover and he'd barely be able to sing at all in the subsequent shows.

I was in the pit for a show in 2018 and he was standing very close to where I was during one of the long note/screams after the "when you're high..." line in Jungle.  Watching the movements of his neck muscles really shows how much physical strain there is to sing like he does.

I would imagine that there are times when it hurts to try and sing a high note with rasp.

Yeah but what's amazing about 2006-2007 and even moreso 2010 is that it looked effortless for him. He wasn't straining or thinking about singing, he was moving around and performing like he did in 1992, he knew he was in beast mode. Compare a video of TIL from Puerto or London or Bucharest and then look at those last few performances on NITL where he looks like he's having an aneurysm just trying to squeak it out in falsetto. 

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Yeah but what's amazing about 2006-2007 and even moreso 2010 is that it looked effortless for him. He wasn't straining or thinking about singing, he was moving around and performing like he did in 1992, he knew he was in beast mode. Compare a video of TIL from Puerto or London or Bucharest and then look at those last few performances on NITL where he looks like he's having an aneurysm just trying to squeak it out in falsetto. 

I know, it is confounding.  I just think that all of the shows over the last 4 years, including with AC/DC,  have taken their toll.  

15 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I know, it is confounding.  I just think that all of the shows over the last 4 years, including with AC/DC,  have taken their toll.  

I don't think it's the amount of shows he's done over the last 4 years, I think it was specifically the AC/DC shows and whatever he did (or didn't do) after that tour was finished. Even in 2016 he didn't seem to be straining himself on Jungle, OTGM, This I Love, those awesomely long LALD screams, etc. but once the AC/DC gig was over and he didn't have to maintain that level of vocal intensity, he started consistently sounding bad. The shows in South America 2016 were noticeably weaker than the NA shows, and it's been all downhill since then. It's comparable to whatever happened between 2010 and 2011.

• Like 1

2016 Houston Axl was almost 2010 level, listened to ISE the other day from that gig and holy shit it's like listening to young Axl hell the whole band that night was on top compared to a 2019 gig. Whatever Axl did that night he was on top, only if every gig after that he got better...

22 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

2016 Houston Axl was almost 2010 level, listened to ISE the other day from that gig and holy shit it's like listening to young Axl hell the whole band that night was on top compared to a 2019 gig. Whatever Axl did that night he was on top, only if every gig after that he got better...

Well, the answer could be the adage "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was."

48 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

I just watched ISE with Foo Fighters. Axl sounded incredible. And he appeared to be having fun. I feel like his vocal issues exist b/c he just doesn’t care like he used to. Could be wrong, but my $0.02

I couldn't agree more. I think he turns it on when he gives a shit. 

• Like 1

I don’t see even the tiniest bit of doubt that whatever his vocal issues have been or will be, the biggest part of blame can be unambiguously ascribed to that AC/DC chapter of his. As awesome as it was, that shit screwed his vocal cords up...

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

I don’t see even the tiniest bit of doubt that whatever his vocal issues have been or will be, the biggest part of blame can be unambiguously ascribed to that AC/DC chapter of his. As awesome as it was, that shit screwed his vocal chords up...

This! The voice cracks in his high range started appearing during the 2nd ACDC leg and from then on it went downhill

On 2020-01-14 at 10:56 PM, nycgunner said:

I just watched ISE with Foo Fighters. Axl sounded incredible. And he appeared to be having fun. I feel like his vocal issues exist b/c he just doesn’t care like he used to. Could be wrong, but my $0.02

To my ears, he sounds only better than the other gigs around that time. 

I would'nt say incredible, though.

I don't think Axl phones it in. If so he wouldn't be bothered to do 2.5 hour shows. Musicians who play that long when they could easily cut the shows in half, can't be accused of phoning it in. They obviously want to give the audience a return for their money above industry standard (in terms of concert length).

Don't get me wrong, his performance level varies a lot and I am sure this is partly caused by the amount of enthusiasm he feels for each particular gig, allowing him to do better at certain gigs while reverting to a more routine mode for others (like being psyched for Axl/DC and the start of the tour with Slash and Duff, etc), explaining some of the variation in his performances over the years (actually this goes all the way back to the beginning) - but not to the extent that he is so bored with it all that he doesn't want to be there.

I do get that it is frustrating to see this inconsistency in his performance levels, and that it can be baffling at times how he can fluctuate so much, but I simply don't think it comes down to him just going phoning it in. If so he would just have shortened the sets and enjoyed more energy for the remaining songs.

This also fits with what his band mates say about him and the enthusiasm he still feels for performing and giving it his all.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think Axl phones it in. If so he wouldn't be bothered to do 2.5 hour shows. Musicians who play that long when they could easily cut the shows in half, can't be accused of phoning it in. They obviously want to give the audience a return for their money above industry standard (in terms of concert length).

Don't get me wrong, his performance level varies a lot and I am sure this is partly caused by the amount of enthusiasm he feels for each particular gig, allowing him to do better at certain gigs while reverting to a more routine mode for others (like being psyched for Axl/DC and the start of the tour with Slash and Duff, etc), explaining some of the variation in his performances over the years (actually this goes all the way back to the beginning) - but not to the extent that he is so bored with it all that he doesn't want to be there.

I do get that it is frustrating to see this inconsistency in his performance levels, and that it can be baffling at times how he can fluctuate so much, but I simply don't think it comes down to him just going phoning it in. If so he would just have shortened the sets and enjoyed more energy for the remaining songs.

This also fits with what his band mates say about him and the enthusiasm he still feels for performing and giving it his all.

You're right, Axl gives his all during the performances.  I think the issue lies in how much effort he puts into the preparation for the shows.  It seems he tries to "sing himself into shape" as a tour progresses, hence the first few shows are usually rough.  In fairness to Axl, this is just my opinion and I obviously don't know for sure.

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

You're right, Axl gives his all during the performances.  I think the issue lies in how much effort he puts into the preparation for the shows.  It seems he tries to "sing himself into shape" as a tour progresses, hence the first few shows are usually rough.  In fairness to Axl, this is just my opinion and I obviously don't know for sure.

Preparation is part of giving a shit. He's proven then when he cares enough to prepare properly, he can kick 10 kinds of ass. The problem is that he doesn't give enough of a shit to properly prepare when it comes to GNR shows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Personally I would rather have Axl take steps on preserving his vocal cords then trying to sound as he did 30 years ago that could possibly cost him his voice entierly

That's what proper preparation helps with.