The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

I watched them on line last night and was pretty blown away by his voice all the way through, Jungle was brilliant.  I thought it was a great show but then I am new to Guns, The only problem was there were no new songs although So Fine was added sung by Duff.

Edited by DurhamGirl
wrong spelling
  • Sad 1

Axl's definitely working on his technique, listen to how he screamed the dead horse intro compared to 2019 shows.

He's definitely putting effort in to sound good and they as a band are trying to pick some new additions to the setlist that will be easy for him to sing.

As much crap as people give Axl and his voice the consistency between his 2001 vocals and now is pretty impressive for an artist his age.

• Like 1

As I just stated in the show thread, his voice is what it is. But he gave it everything he had and that's what I appreciate.

I don't care if a voice is shot or how shit the singer sounds, if he's at least trying to put on a great show then I can get behind it. Can give you many examples.

• Like 1

Of course Axl sounds great compared to 2018, but he still sounds terrible compared to 2016.

Everything that made him sound like Axl Rose is gone. Even the few bits of rasp we do get sounds extremely forced. Look at last night's Nightrain performance (or any from the last two years). His voice is all over the place whenever he sings a song that was effortless all the way up to and including 2017.

His voice is toast at this point and he refuses to adapt the setlist to play to the parts of his vocal range that don't sound like squeaky shit.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Paradise City was pretty ropey as was Better (as usual) but sounded ok to me. Dead Horse was too fast IMO and didn’t help him singing it.

They should really replace Better and Dead Horse with Hardschool, Pretty Tied Up and Think About You. Not just add those songs to the set, but replace the weak songs with them. Maybe keep Dead Horse as an alternate (along with Locomotive) but neither Better or Dead Horse sound very good with this line-up IMO.

The Mexico show (judging from the streams) was the best show in a while. Axl sounded passable and the band sounded great. Sucks that they didn't really play anything new though. Even if he ends up sounding like shit, I really wanna hear Axl sing the chorus to Hardschool live.

3 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Of course Axl sounds great compared to 2018, but he still sounds terrible compared to 2016.

Everything that made him sound like Axl Rose is gone. Even the few bits of rasp we do get sounds extremely forced. Look at last night's Nightrain performance (or any from the last two years). His voice is all over the place whenever he sings a song that was effortless all the way up to and including 2017.

His voice is toast at this point and he refuses to adapt the setlist to play to the parts of his vocal range that don't sound like squeaky shit.

People using the word vocal is shot when they don’t know what it means.

If it was shot he wouldn’t be able to  sing again. James Hetfeild    blew his voice and couldn’t sing for a year

Listen to the studio recordings carefully and if you notice  they are not “raspy.“ It’s a smooth controlled  distortion

I can’t listen to anything from 91-93 live. He sounded  like took a knife or glass and just shredded his vocal chords

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

People using the word vocal is shot when they don’t know what it means.

If it was shot he wouldn’t be able to  sing again. James Hetfeild    blew his voice and couldn’t sing for a year

Listen to the studio recordings carefully and if you notice  they are not “raspy.“ It’s a smooth controlled  distortion

I can’t listen to anything from 91-93 live. He sounded  like took a knife or glass and just shredded his vocal chords

Agree with this, his voice sounded painful back then. I still don't think he sounds that great now, though. 

16 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

As I just stated in the show thread, his voice is what it is. But he gave it everything he had and that's what I appreciate.

I don't care if a voice is shot or how shit the singer sounds, if he's at least trying to put on a great show then I can get behind it. Can give you many examples.

Well said dude!

14 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

He sounded a lot better in 2018 than in 2019 apart from Berlin and Mexico shows. In start of 2019 tour he wasn’t even able to do Jungle scream

• 7 months later...

Hi, don't know if it was posted before but I wanted to share with you an Axl's voice impression by a Brazilian guy. He sounds so much to young Axl. I was a bit shocked at first lol and somehow realized that his voice can be a little bit well imitated.

Take a look

He has other videos in that channel imitating more GNR songs

Hope you liked.

Edited by @xlRose

12 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Just stumbled across this. 

They should get this guy. 

He could add some killer vocals to Zodiac and the other village instrumentals with the right equipment and help.

Of course maybe he can only do his higher pitch stuff. not sure how he would sound on the more natural (clean) singing voice like the beginning of Civil War, Don't Cry, Chinese Democracy, Patience, Silkworms, Atlas, etc.

23 hours ago, @xlRose said:

Hi, don't know if it was posted before but I wanted to share with you an Axl's voice impression by a Brazilian guy. He sounds so much to young Axl. I was a bit shocked at first lol and somehow realized that his voice can be a little bit well imitated.

Take a look

He has other videos in that channel imitating more GNR songs

Hope you liked.

Holy shit, that is falsetto with rasp right?

After 15 years on this forum (I'm that much of a veteran and that lame)  I'm officially weary of debating Axl's voice. He's one of the greatest live singers who ever performed. Those of us who have seen it live, good night or bad, are lucky to have done so. He's in his mid 50's now. He hasn't sounded like he did in 1992 because that was 23 years ago. You'd struggle to name a singer who can sustain performance over that length of time. Maybe he can't deliver the songs now with the same venom in his voice but his passion, determination and tenacity in his vocals have never failed.

That said, this forum is about his voice and people are naming his best vocal performances. For me, when I saw him live at the Garden with AC/DC in 2017 he was earth shattering. People from my office were going and were very much in the "Axl's a dick" camp (because its cool to not like Axl Rose). Next day they worshiped him, and rightly so. Only time in my life I genuinely thought to myself, Axl is the lead singer of the wrong band.

• Like 1