Jump to content
gnrkoncerti

Not in this lifetime tour is 9th biggest tour ever

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

And who can blame him if you think about it.  Would you rather hang about with a bunch of mongy skagheads or shag a fuckin' classy bird and wake up to silk sheets and fuckin' room service...and still get a bit coke on the side, Mick had the right idea.

Yes, Keith was at Nellcôte - which still had swastikas on the floor from its previous tenants, the Gestapo, incidentally - with Gram Parsons and Jimmy Miller: three notorious reprobates. Taylor and Watts were there occasionally but Mick was in Paris and Wyman was somewhere else down the coast. They'd record through the night with Keith constantly interrupting the song to go to the bathroom for some odd reason. Keith just gathered anybody who was around which is why you get people like Miller on drums, and Keith overdubbing bass and things like that on Exile.

Mick would pop in occasionally. The carnage would send him scurrying back to Paris. Mich spruced up the tracks in America and added a few more. Mick does not like ragged. Exile is the ultimate Keef album really. 

Even on that Exile documentary a few years ago you can tell Jagger thinks Exile is a load of shite haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to U2 on the longevity stakes. Still haven't seen their latest tour but would love to check it out if they come a little closer to where I'm staying.

For me, Zoo TV and Popmart were among the best shows I've ever been to. By quite a margin. 

I kinda lost interest after that - just wasn't feeling their music in the 2000's as much as the 80s/90s. The Vertigo tour was kinda boring and vey mediocre (naming the tour after a generic and bland song not the best idea IMO), 360 was good as a spectacle but didn't quite meet the heights of the previously mentioned pinnacle tours in their heyday. Great shows, just wasn't into the music as much.

just my 2 cents

Edited by LA_0013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Keith was at Nellcôte - which still had swastikas on the floor from its previous tenants, the Gestapo, incidentally - with Gram Parsons and Jimmy Miller: three notorious reprobates. Taylor and Watts were there occasionally but Mick was in Paris and Wyman was somewhere else down the coast. They'd record through the night with Keith constantly interrupting the song to go to the bathroom for some odd reason. Keith just gathered anybody who was around which is why you get people like Miller on drums, and Keith overdubbing bass and things like that on Exile.

Mick would pop in occasionally. The carnage would send him scurrying back to Paris. Mich spruced up the tracks in America and added a few more. Mick does not like ragged. Exile is the ultimate Keef album really. 

Even on that Exile documentary a few years ago you can tell Jagger thinks Exile is a load of shite haha

Exile to me is the sound of The Stones putting every last good idea they were capable of post-Brian into one album.  Not that they didn't make good albums after but they didn't make great.  In fact they probably have 3 really good albums after that and after that its just a couple/three good songs per album.  They were the fuckin' bollocks for as long as they were the sort of weird bohemian fuckin' devil child satanic pervos of the 60s.  Once they traded that in for just plain Americana they were bound to run out of steam after a handful of albums.  Testament to their talents that they didn't immediately.

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

give them a few more years and "guns n roses" will have its spot as the biggest tour ever

you know maybe axl will get enough money to hire a decent drummer and a decent rhythm guitar player

 

And hopefully he'llhave enough money to hire a vocal/singing coach so he doesn't have to embarrass himself, the band and fans on the next tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bono's mullety hair!

Axl is quite a big fan of U2. As a big fan of both U2 and G N'R i just don't see any point in comparing the two bands it's like comparing Nine Inch Nails to Coldplay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

(naming the tour after a generic and bland song not the best idea IMO), 

Well. Actually it's not. It rocks live and is one of the highlights on the current tour. Got the crowd going.

I agree with the Ripper though. Comparing bands is stupid. Both are great and enduring bands. That said, I have to add my cents too, ;-) a Coldplay fan, who says that U2 basically sucks and is boring is laughable. There is no band more bland than Coldplay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rose looks a complete wanker with his wine and cigarette holder. It took Jagger fifteen years to get that much of a wanker.

See. Axl is better. He arrived at that point much quicker. :-p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well. Actually it's not. It rocks live and is one of the highlights on the current tour. Got the crowd going.

One of the highlights of the current tour?? Vertigo? Really? Sunday Bloody Sunday, into New Years Day, Bad etc, then into the Joshua Tree album it's entirety. But a highlight of the show is the final transition into Vertigo/Elevation etc etc etc?

Im guessing you've been to a show whereas I haven't, so your point is probably more valid than mine. But I find that very hard to believe. 

If anything, the structure of the setlist is almost symbolic in how much the fundamental quality of their music tapered off into the 2000's.

Horse for courses and all ✌🏻

Edited by LA_0013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LA_0013 said:

One of the highlights of the current tour?? Vertigo? Really? Sunday Bloody Sunday, into New Years Day, Bad etc, then into the Joshua Tree album it's entirety. But a highlight of the show is the final transition into Vertigo/Elevation etc etc etc?

Im guessing you've been to a show whereas I haven't, so your point is probably more valid than mine. But I find that very hard to believe. 

If anything, the structure of the setlist is almost symbolic in how much the fundamental quality of their music tapered off into the 2000's.

Horse for courses and all ✌🏻

Yes. I've been to 2 shows and judging by the crowd reaction? Definitely. Everyone was rocking. Even in the back of the building in the stands. Sunday was the first song, so obviously that was a high too. But that back section with the 2000's songs, which you think suck (I personally don't, they have many great songs in the 2000's, especially live) got the crowd going again and Vertigo the most. Maybe the Joshua Tree album was too much for many. I personally really got into U2 with Achtung Baby and other than the 3 main singles and Bullet, JT doesn't do too much for me.

Edited by PatrickS77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vertigo's one of U2's biggest hits, catchy as hell and fun to hear live.

U2 hardly ever plays anything that can be considered a "rarity" in a concert, but there's only a handful of tracks that I'd never want them to play in a live setting ever again, not including Vertigo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 1:20 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Keith was at Nellcôte - which still had swastikas on the floor from its previous tenants, the Gestapo, incidentally - with Gram Parsons and Jimmy Miller: three notorious reprobates. Taylor and Watts were there occasionally but Mick was in Paris and Wyman was somewhere else down the coast. They'd record through the night with Keith constantly interrupting the song to go to the bathroom for some odd reason. Keith just gathered anybody who was around which is why you get people like Miller on drums, and Keith overdubbing bass and things like that on Exile.

Mick would pop in occasionally. The carnage would send him scurrying back to Paris. Mich spruced up the tracks in America and added a few more. Mick does not like ragged. Exile is the ultimate Keef album really. 

Even on that Exile documentary a few years ago you can tell Jagger thinks Exile is a load of shite haha

Has Jagger ever expressed disdained for that record?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Has Jagger ever expressed disdained for that record?

Disdain is a bit harsh but he has talked quite often on how it is not his favourite album of theirs. I've heard Mick's favourite is Aftermath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now they are top 5.

I think by the end of this year they will be top 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours

 

Rank Actual gross Inflation
(adjusted 2017 gross)
Artist Tour name Year(s) Shows Attendance Average
gross (millions)
Average
attendance
Ref.
1 $736,421,584 $784,027,536 U2 !U2 U2 360° Tour !U2 360° Tour 2009–11 110 7,272,046 6.7 66,110 [1]
2 $558,255,524 $644,802,601 Rolling Stones, The !The Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour, A !A Bigger Bang Tour 2005–07 144 4,680,000 3.8 32,500 [1]
3 $458,673,798 $471,582,189 Roger Waters The Wall Live 2010–13 219 4,129,863 2.09 18,858 [2]
4 $441,121,000 $484,472,430 AC/DC Black Ice World Tour 2008–10 167 4,846,965 2.6 29,023 [3][4][5]
5 $430,380,000 $430,380,000

Guns N' Roses !Guns N' Roses

Edited by Free Bird
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.7.2017 at 8:40 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

I've seen U2 twice this year and GNR twice last year, the U2 tour has stronger sense of vitality. And it has all the orinigal members.

Still U2 sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Now they are top 5.

I think by the end of this year they will be top 3

 

Rank Actual gross Inflation
(adjusted 2017 gross)
Artist Tour name Year(s) Shows Attendance Average
gross (millions)
Average
attendance
Ref.
1 $736,421,584 $784,027,536 U2 !U2 U2 360° Tour !U2 360° Tour 2009–11 110 7,272,046 6.7 66,110 [1]
2 $558,255,524 $644,802,601 Rolling Stones, The !The Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour, A !A Bigger Bang Tour 2005–07 144 4,680,000 3.8 32,500 [1]
3 $458,673,798 $471,582,189 Roger Waters The Wall Live 2010–13 219 4,129,863 2.09 18,858 [2]
4 $441,121,000 $484,472,430 AC/DC Black Ice World Tour 2008–10 167 4,846,965 2.6 29,023 [3][4][5]
5 $430,380,000 $430,380,000

Guns N' Roses !Guns N' Roses

Isn't Coldplay's tour projected to outearn GnR by the end of the year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Isn't Coldplay's tour projected to outearn GnR by the end of the year?

I don't know about Coldplay. I don't know if they're still touring or where they're touring rightnow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×