Are we too hard on Guns?

17 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

I agree, you described a cunt.  you just reversed the players.    You're somewhere having a good time, and someone (you don't know) seeks you out and dedicates their day to following you around and telling you they are not having a good time.   Say you are enjoying yourself at the space museum or some such... some cunt you don't know decides to spend the day with you pissing and moaning about how space is boring, it hasn't been exciting since the 60's, it cost too much and it's a total ripoff.  That would definitely be a cunt

One of my top 5 all-time fav bands was John Bush Anthrax.  I used to post on their forums, trade with people etc.  When Bush left the band, I stopped going to the fansite, because I wasn't a fan.  I am not still there, 20k posts later bitching about how much better they were with Bush.  If I posted there to this day, bitching about how bad Anthrax is, I would be (using your words) a cunt.

I logged on to the site with the intention of sharing my experience at Hershey Park with other fans who enjoyed it, but what do I see? A bunch of crybabies who were not at the show explain how bad it was, how nobody likes them wah wah wah.  

There is a big difference between *discussing* things like the desire for new music vs. just plain griping.   Diesel literally says there is nothing remotely interesting about the band.  Logic dictates someone with no interest in Guns N' Roses should not be posting on a forum dedicated to something they are "not remotely" interested in.

Yep, cunts will be cunts. 

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, jacdaniel said:

I have a read of the forum almost every day and its sad to see it so full of negativity.  No izzy or Steve, Axls voice, setlist, Melissa, Frank, ticket prices, ticket sales, no new music, cash grab....

We more or less knew from the start that it was just slash and duff rejoining. We've known for years that Axl is struggling with rasp/midrange. The setlist is really awesome IMO. 

At the end of the day, they are going out there and playing 3+ hour shows with almost 30 songs.  If it was just a cash grab, they'd be playing a 2 hour set with way less songs. 

I for one am enjoying the tour.  It's great to see my favourite band out there playing huge shows to huge crowds. It's great that Guns are relevant again. 

Of course I would love to hear an interview, or new music or a new drummer but I'm going to enjoy the reunion for what it is and not worry too much about what it's not. 

If Guns read the forum, it wouldn't surprise me that they steer clear of the online community.

I agree with you. I've been a fan 30 years, and I think it's great they are still playing. I was at the Olympic Stadium this year, and while I had mixed feelings watching it, thinking back to when we (Axl, Duff and Slash and I) were young and it seemed like Guns were going to change the world; or die trying!; it was still a great concert with 3 hours of fantastic music, and seemed to be enjoyed by all around me. 

I only got around to seeing Black Sabbath for the first time at Download last year, and it's probably a similar experience to Guns today. I know Ozzy would have sounded better in his heyday, and been more mobile, but I still loved seeing the band live at last, and hearing all their best known songs.

I do think this should probably be the last Guns tour unless there's some new innovations: new music, or Izzy/Steven rejoining. That's my opinion anyway, and I won't be going again until then, but there may be millions of fans who still want to see them, so it's up to the band; it's their life and music, and we have the choice whether we want to share it with them....

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wait, it's a role? I've been assuming he's just a stereotypical British person with a moustache and cynical attitude this whole time :lol:

I believe you mean English guy? Thats hardly a stereotype of Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish (all British).

On 13/08/2017 at 9:12 AM, tremolo said:

I know what you mean. The band's mediocre performances are a joke.

If only Axl gave 2 and a half fucks and trained his voice so he could sing his own songs... but I know for some fans that's asking too much, especially considering ticket prices! Fans should be thankful that they are not charged $5K and above for the mere fact that Hackxl and $lush are sharing the stage.

I guess demanding a minimum standard of quality when you're paying high ticket prices is not cool, is being a self-entitled jackass who should just pay, shut up and be grateful that Lord Axl will reward you with his presence on stage.

What a load of BS.

Axl can't sing his own songs, but he charges you as if he could deliver the best vocals of his career while the 2 hottest women in the world were taking turns giving you the most amazing blowjob for the entirety of the show. That is unacceptable, but some fans are willing to turn a blind eye to that fact, because their tongue is so deep up Axl's pooper, in their eyes he can do no wrong. They have come to believe Axl's paranoid view of the world where he is always breaking his back and giving it 200% while the whole world conspires against him to watch him break and fall.

This should be pinned in the top of the main page of this place. This is reality. This is what GNR has become. You forgot to mention the amazing Harley Davidson jackets or the beloved GNR beach towels though.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not have a moustache! The person in my picture is Edward Elgar - I am something of an Elgarian.

I wasn't trying to imply you looked like your avatar, though now that you mention in I guess that moustache is similar to what I was picturing. A younger version of your avatar, maybe? :lol:

On 14/08/2017 at 3:41 AM, DeadSlash said:

This pretty much answers the thread question.  One dude has no interest in the band, yet lurks here for some strange reason.  I don't give a shit about breeding pure bred Siamese cats... so I don't lurk the fucking message boards about it.  What a novel concept.

Tremelo's post is... well it's lol.   What people don't process is that the fans who actually like the band don't give a fuck about your grievances.  You are not important, and nobody gives a shit about what you have to say outside of your friends and family.   The internet is a big place.  Go be a fan of something you do care about, instead of raining tears on thread after thread.  There are even forums that are designed for buthurt people... why not find your home at one?

Do you really think that you and whoever else is enjoying the guns n aliens tour are the only ones who like and care about GNR?

Do you really think that people who find this tour disgusting do not have an interest in the band?

Do you really want everyone to have the same feelings and opinions as you?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Well, dickhead, Diesel literally spelled out that the band doesn't interest him.  So yes, I'm taking him at his word. 

Nope.  But I do have the expectation that when I go to a movie, for example, that there are not going to be a bunch of random assholes that came for the sole purpose of bitching out loud about how they dislike the movie, and the original was better.  

If it bothers you that you get called out for it, crazy idea here, maybe you should go to a forum on a topic that you like.  Who is your favorite band?  Who do you like right now?  Novel idea, but did you ever consider posting there?  Or is your only joy in life being pissed off?

Just to clarify considering you seem to take a great interest in me, I meant that this 'pseudo' reunion tour holds no interest for me, not 'Guns N' Roses' in toto. A discography as minuscule as Guns N' Roses, with no future prospect of internal improvement will naturally produce feelings of boredom - no, 'museum piece corporate rock' holds no interest whatsoever.

Out of interest, where are the areas in this tour you expect one should deride interest from? There is no new music, nor even a desire to create new music so there is nothing to look forward to there; normally one can periodically go to a shop (or download) twelve or so brand spanking new songs from any given band, or at least look forward to twelve brand spanking new songs. This generates a whole new level of interest, even if the album itself turns out to be a dud. Returning to Guns, the setlist can be copied and pasted from one show to the next so nope, nothing to discuss there. There isn't even an interview! 

In the absence of the aforementioned areas, all one really has is massive amounts of overpriced tat which I am not going to buy simply because, a/ it is overpriced tat, and b/ I'm in my thirties and no longer dress in black clothes with skeletons on.

So to reiterate the question, in what areas is one's interest supposed to be piqued?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

Yes, of course. For years and years people  wanted a reunion, then they get the reunion and they play songs not played in years and people complain about Axl's voice (the same voice for like 6 years now), or the drumming (same drumming for 11 years now), or no Izzy/Steven (when both have done multiple spots over the past decade. The hardcore of the GNR fanbase is literally impossible to please for more than one night at a time. Every GNR board is the same: A bunch of people getting exactly what they wanted and still finding a reason to bitch about  shit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stro said:

Yes, of course. For years and years people  wanted a reunion, then they get the reunion and they play songs not played in years and people complain about Axl's voice (the same voice for like 6 years now), or the drumming (same drumming for 11 years now), or no Izzy/Steven (when both have done multiple spots over the past decade. The hardcore of the GNR fanbase is literally impossible to please for more than one night at a time. Every GNR board is the same: A bunch of people getting exactly what they wanted and still finding a reason to bitch about  shit.

Cause they're life is fucking miserable and boring. If it wasn't, they wouldnt waste hours every day writing on a message board of a band they dont care about. Pathetic 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Well, dickhead, Diesel literally spelled out that the band doesn't interest him.  So yes, I'm taking him at his word. 

Nope.  But I do have the expectation that when I go to a movie, for example, that there are not going to be a bunch of random assholes that came for the sole purpose of bitching out loud about how they dislike the movie, and the original was better.  

If it bothers you that you get called out for it, crazy idea here, maybe you should go to a forum on a topic that you like.  Who is your favorite band?  Who do you like right now?  Novel idea, but did you ever consider posting there?  Or is your only joy in life being pissed off?

Dear @DeadSlash

such strong arguments here, I really changed my mind after reading your strong (!) argumentation, specially the strong part where you say I am dickhead!

now that was a classy reply!

wish i was half as good as you with words! 

Oh, and after reading your (classy! strong!) reply, I must say that I am so sorry for misreading @DieselDaisy original post!

I copied and pasted it below!

I look on this band and there is simply nothing I find remotely interesting (to me) or particularly admirable - beyond perhaps Slash's playing. 'Museum piece' bands are not something I'd ever follow, nor the skeleton merchandisings.

you know, I understood that he was referring to the current incarnation of "GNR"

but I probably got it wrong -- because I am a dickhead!

Interesting that I just read diesel words again (three times actually!) and everytime I read it it seems to me that its sooooooo obvious that he is referring to the current incarnation of "GNR"

But since you understood something completely different and since I am a dickhead, you are probably right!

Right?

Oh, I also would like to say how much sorry I am for mistaking this website for a discussion forum! I really thought this was a forum, a discussion forum, you know?

but its obviously something else, something like a movie theater, where people go to watch stuff in silence!

wow, how is that I am such a dickhead that I never noticed it?

Oh, and last, but not least, I can not forget to say thank you for clarifying that everyone that doesnt have the same opinion of you is an random asshole! You had me convinced on "dickhead", really, but when i read your (strong! classy! innovative!) "random assholes" argument, I just got sooooooo convinced!

I finally understood that this is not a discussion forum and that no one is supposed to say anything here that goes against your opinion, specially the bitching dickheads and random assholes!

Thanks a lot!

===

PS: oh, just one more thing... I just sent a message to the moderators requesting to change the name of this website to mygnrcinema.com

or, maybe (I am not sure if this is too big an address but it describes this place so well according to you), how about asking them to channge the name of this website to mygnrpleasenodiscussionherewebsite-bitchindickheadsandrandomassholesarenotallowed.com

such an epic address!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 3

In a word, yes.  I prefer to wait to see what they do when the tour ends.  For 20 years most people just wanted Slash and Axl to bury the hatchet and play together, now that they are, some people have been ripping them since the start for not releasing new music. 

No no, everything is super. Releasing new music is what lame bands do. Great bands release $4900 branded leather jackets and announce partnerships with fashion designers.

AC/DC is a really lame band, that's why Axl is probably going to release an album with them next year. He knows we Guns fans don't want rubbish like that. That's why he gives us a 20 minute KOHD and $75 GnR keychains. Thank you Fernando and Beta!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jmapelian said:

In a word, yes.  I prefer to wait to see what they do when the tour ends.  For 20 years most people just wanted Slash and Axl to bury the hatchet and play together, now that they are, some people have been ripping them since the start for not releasing new music. 

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

No no, everything is super. Releasing new music is what lame bands do. Great bands release $4900 branded leather jackets and announce partnerships with fashion designers.

AC/DC is a really lame band, that's why Axl is probably going to release an album with them next year. He knows we Guns fans don't want rubbish like that. That's why he gives us a 20 minute KOHD and $75 GnR keychains. Thank you Fernando and Beta!

Being the coffilosopher who created greenYgreyology (greenygrey3.com) I love both the above comments, and think they are both correct and viable. 

Having been a fan of Guns since the 1980s I think it's great that they are doing as well as they are, with Axl and Slash playing together, as jmapelian writes.

However, as Ronin writes, they have become too much of a commercial band for most people's liking - especially considering their original bad boys street rebels against capitalist exploitation image. 

Like me, Guns are now middle-aged, and I think they probably think like me. We've taken our minds to the edge, as Van Halen sang in Runnin' With The Devil, and once you know how far you can take it, and if you survive, then in the end you know you have to get out, as Duff, Slash and Steven's autobiographies say; and as happened with the 1950s Beat and 1960s Hippy countercultures. 

Then the rebellion/counterculture changes with the generations, starting for Guns and similar bands with Seattle Grunge killing most of them off. 

Now the biggest global conflict seems to be between Western 'capitalism' and Islamist 'religion'.

So, I'm not surprised if Guns are choosing to support Western 'capitalism', even if it's not what they really want, but it's the best option available. 

Plus, records don't make any money any more, because of freely available music; as is the case with writing for me.

So, c'est la vie mon Cherie
(paraphrasing Pepé Le Pew, Looney Tunes hero, and another thing I like and share about Guns; they've never taken themselves too seriously, even if some of their music has been seriously epic)
and try to accept it like me...
we've come a long long way (Fatboy Slim 'Praise You') from Paradise City...
together... and apart... but always somewhere in memory...
for this post has been an example of Guns-inspired coffilosophy!

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
grammar correction and further writing idea