jacdaniel

Are we too hard on Guns?

258 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Well, dickhead, Diesel literally spelled out that the band doesn't interest him.  So yes, I'm taking him at his word. 

Nope.  But I do have the expectation that when I go to a movie, for example, that there are not going to be a bunch of random assholes that came for the sole purpose of bitching out loud about how they dislike the movie, and the original was better.  

If it bothers you that you get called out for it, crazy idea here, maybe you should go to a forum on a topic that you like.  Who is your favorite band?  Who do you like right now?  Novel idea, but did you ever consider posting there?  Or is your only joy in life being pissed off?

Dear @DeadSlash

such strong arguments here, I really changed my mind after reading your strong (!) argumentation, specially the strong part where you say I am dickhead!

now that was a classy reply!

wish i was half as good as you with words! 

Oh, and after reading your (classy! strong!) reply, I must say that I am so sorry for misreading @DieselDaisy original post!

I copied and pasted it below!

I look on this band and there is simply nothing I find remotely interesting (to me) or particularly admirable - beyond perhaps Slash's playing. 'Museum piece' bands are not something I'd ever follow, nor the skeleton merchandisings.

you know, I understood that he was referring to the current incarnation of "GNR"

but I probably got it wrong -- because I am a dickhead!

Interesting that I just read diesel words again (three times actually!) and everytime I read it it seems to me that its sooooooo obvious that he is referring to the current incarnation of "GNR"

But since you understood something completely different and since I am a dickhead, you are probably right!

Right?

Oh, I also would like to say how much sorry I am for mistaking this website for a discussion forum! I really thought this was a forum, a discussion forum, you know?

but its obviously something else, something like a movie theater, where people go to watch stuff in silence!

wow, how is that I am such a dickhead that I never noticed it?

Oh, and last, but not least, I can not forget to say thank you for clarifying that everyone that doesnt have the same opinion of you is an random asshole! You had me convinced on "dickhead", really, but when i read your (strong! classy! innovative!) "random assholes" argument, I just got sooooooo convinced!

I finally understood that this is not a discussion forum and that no one is supposed to say anything here that goes against your opinion, specially the bitching dickheads and random assholes!

Thanks a lot!

===

PS: oh, just one more thing... I just sent a message to the moderators requesting to change the name of this website to mygnrcinema.com

or, maybe (I am not sure if this is too big an address but it describes this place so well according to you), how about asking them to channge the name of this website to mygnrpleasenodiscussionherewebsite-bitchindickheadsandrandomassholesarenotallowed.com

such an epic address!

:rofl-lol:

4 people like this

In a word, yes.  I prefer to wait to see what they do when the tour ends.  For 20 years most people just wanted Slash and Axl to bury the hatchet and play together, now that they are, some people have been ripping them since the start for not releasing new music. 

Rubbish. People have been slagging Rose/Guns off for ''not releasing music'' since the late '90s - NB the much criticised wait for Chinese - and I do not believe there was a fan consensus on Slash's return.

No no, everything is super. Releasing new music is what lame bands do. Great bands release $4900 branded leather jackets and announce partnerships with fashion designers.

AC/DC is a really lame band, that's why Axl is probably going to release an album with them next year. He knows we Guns fans don't want rubbish like that. That's why he gives us a 20 minute KOHD and $75 GnR keychains. Thank you Fernando and Beta!

3 people like this

9 hours ago, jmapelian said:

In a word, yes.  I prefer to wait to see what they do when the tour ends.  For 20 years most people just wanted Slash and Axl to bury the hatchet and play together, now that they are, some people have been ripping them since the start for not releasing new music. 

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

No no, everything is super. Releasing new music is what lame bands do. Great bands release $4900 branded leather jackets and announce partnerships with fashion designers.

AC/DC is a really lame band, that's why Axl is probably going to release an album with them next year. He knows we Guns fans don't want rubbish like that. That's why he gives us a 20 minute KOHD and $75 GnR keychains. Thank you Fernando and Beta!

Being the coffilosopher who created greenYgreyology (greenygrey3.com) I love both the above comments, and think they are both correct and viable. 

Having been a fan of Guns since the 1980s I think it's great that they are doing as well as they are, with Axl and Slash playing together, as jmapelian writes.

However, as Ronin writes, they have become too much of a commercial band for most people's liking - especially considering their original bad boys street rebels against capitalist exploitation image. 

Like me, Guns are now middle-aged, and I think they probably think like me. We've taken our minds to the edge, as Van Halen sang in Runnin' With The Devil, and once you know how far you can take it, and if you survive, then in the end you know you have to get out, as Duff, Slash and Steven's autobiographies say; and as happened with the 1950s Beat and 1960s Hippy countercultures. 

Then the rebellion/counterculture changes with the generations, starting for Guns and similar bands with Seattle Grunge killing most of them off. 

Now the biggest global conflict seems to be between Western 'capitalism' and Islamist 'religion'.

So, I'm not surprised if Guns are choosing to support Western 'capitalism', even if it's not what they really want, but it's the best option available. 

Plus, records don't make any money any more, because of freely available music; as is the case with writing for me.

So, c'est la vie mon Cherie
(paraphrasing Pepé Le Pew, Looney Tunes hero, and another thing I like and share about Guns; they've never taken themselves too seriously, even if some of their music has been seriously epic)
and try to accept it like me...
we've come a long long way (Fatboy Slim 'Praise You') from Paradise City...
together... and apart... but always somewhere in memory...
for this post has been an example of Guns-inspired coffilosophy!

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
grammar correction and further writing idea

On 8/19/2017 at 2:16 PM, RONIN said:

Still not happy enough. I mean you only used one exclamation mark!! I guess there's no pleasing some people. :no:

2 people like this