Are we too hard on Guns?

12 minutes ago, Nostalgia^ said:

I guess I just don't agree with this overall. I saw them live a few months ago and I just re-listened to the Apollo show....and IMO there's only a few songs where he doesn't sound good. The rest he was pretty good to great!

I should clarify that I'm not talking about his lower voices, which have been intact throughout the tour (Easy, Sorry, Don't Cry, DTJ etc.). He's simply lost the venom on more of the higher songs though - My Michelle, OTGM, Coma, even Jungle he usually sounds weak for the first half.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

No.

There are complaints that can't be forgotten such as:

• No new album or new music
  • No Izzy Stradlin
  • No Steven Adler
  • No real Appetite anniversary
  • Stale setlist, stale performances
  • Zero interviews or interaction between members
  • Nostalgia + Cashgrab = $$$
  • Bad singing with no rasp/Mickey voice

I think this reunion was very cool last year, but it's 2017 and I expect much more from them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lio said:

What annoys me, is that people who are actually there at the shows, are ignored if they say Axl sounded great and Slash played like a beast. You will still have people writing how Axl doesn't run, how Axl is phoning it in, how Slash looks bored. That's just untrue. Anyone who's been to a show, can vouch for that. It's okay if you don't like his voice or Slash improvising or Frank's drumming, but don't make up stuff.

I've literally seen threads with many positive reviews from posters who were there, and then for someone to come in the thread and say: Lol, same setlist, Axl sounds like a dying cat and looks like a grandma. And then people reacting to that by: Yes, it's a disaster, he's obviously not trying. It's like it's a parallel universe. People leave the shows all excited, coming back for more. Reviews are mostly positive, as far as I know. The worst things you read about GNR are on here, and 99% of the time by people who weren't even at the show they're bashing, not by the people attending.

Again, it's okay to wish things were different, but I don't think it's okay to be downright mean and super negative when that's really not fair. The Sirius thing is a good example. A free show, a free soundboard recording, lots of fans got in, every review I've read of posters that were there, were over the moon to have been there and enjoyed it immensely, getting a full setlist in a small venue, some calling it the best show ever they've been to. Still, the overall vibe in the thread is negative, by people who weren't there and didn't get what they feel they deserved. That's just crazy imo.

The big issue about the Apollo Theater show was not Axl's voice or how he looked. It was Izzy and Adler because they were not there. The show was not for free. Those attending the show were Sirius subscribers so they paid.  The set list, well some people were hoping for an AFD celebration and it ended up being just like any other show of the tour. Ok the show meant to be a promotion of the current tour. But what is there to promote? The tour has been going on for more than a year already.

I understand that sometimes people cross the line when it comes to Axl' voice and shape. They may exaggerate but they don't lie. Axl could do something about it. Sometimes the shows are uneven to say the least. I don't care about how Axl sounded in this Sirius show. But I think in St. Louis he should be at his very best.

Just because for you, some other fans and the media the show was amazing. That doesn't mean everyone has to see it that way.

• Like 1

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Being annoyed by meanness and repetition? Fair enough tbh. But I don't think people who attend shows are ignored at all and I'm sure everyone wants everyone to have a great time. Everyone thought it was awesone that some fellow posters and hardcore fans got into the show for example.

That may be so, but just now a guy (or girl) who was at the Apollo and said everyone there thought Axl was amazing, is told by someone who wasn't there that Axl sounded 'like poop'. That's what annoys me. That to me is ignoring what people on the show actually think.

45 minutes ago, ericy210 said:

Constructive criticism is usually healthy.

but repeated comments about Mickey voice, frank, not being as good as Axl/DC are just tired and unnecessary.  It's essentially trolling.

No. Guys who are accepting this status quo and buying tickets are mainly responsible for Frank and 4tus and no surprises in the setlist. 

We have done a lot of constructive criticism in the past... If Axl would communicate with the fans or mods and would be honest with them, no one of us would be pissed, but Axl is not only doing his own thing, he is ignoring the fans and former members. Celebrating an anniversary without a lot of guys who made it possible is just an asshole move. There is absolutely no excuse for a lot of Axl's decisions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

The show was not for free. Those attending the show were Sirius subscribers so they paid.

They didn't pay for the show, not for the drinks, nor for the shirts or posters. Or that's what I read on here anyway.  They paid for their subscription maybe, but not for the show. It doesn't really matter, but the show was free.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Just out of curiosity, does the type/amount of criticisms and complaints I make bother you?

I'm sure you've bothered me before :lol:

No, seriously, it's not that I keep track of who says what, I don't have black lists, it's more a general feeling, and just now because you replied that and I just read that specific post, is why I mentioned it here. I can get bothered easily, but it doesn't last long. It won't be stuck in my mind or anything. It doesn't bother me to that extent.

52 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I should clarify that I'm not talking about his lower voices, which have been intact throughout the tour (Easy, Sorry, Don't Cry, DTJ etc.). He's simply lost the venom on more of the higher songs though - My Michelle, OTGM, Coma, even Jungle he usually sounds weak for the first half.

IMO the songs he sounds weak on (and again, here we are, focusing on the bad....) they are....And I do need to re-listen...but...Better, Yesterdays, Black Hole Sun (chorus, oo that's bad)...On another note..if we really wanna bitch,..then Frank just doesn't know how to play Estranged and that's way more noticeable !!

Sorry was an unexpected highlight at the Apollo show, Damn that was good!

Edited by Nostalgia^

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

They didn't pay for the show, not for the drinks, nor for the shirts or posters. Or that's what I read on here anyway.  They paid for their subscription maybe, but not for the show. It doesn't really matter, but the show was free.

I know that. Still it wasn't 100% free. Those atteding paid for the subscription otherwise they were not allowed to get tickets

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I guess it's about perspective, right? Take @DieselDaisy for example, when people complain about how people complain, let's be honest, they're all talking about him :lol: or he's one of the main ones at least. But he never bothers me because I can see he's a person, I can see that he's been around a lot longer than I have so his being jaded is understandable to me considering how things with GNR have been all these years, I can see deep down he still cares and I can see the humour of some of the things that he says. Do I agree with everything he says or to the extent that he says them? No. But so what? :shrugs: I literally imagine him as practically a cartoon having a posh accent and a big bushy mustache smoking a corncob pipe while reading a newspaper, why the fuck would I take someone like that so seriously? lol.

Here's another example, @Modano09 who hates Steven Adler and has a very harsh opinion of him. I don't agree with what he says, but okay whatever everyone's got opinions, right? Where I take issue with Modano09 is he gets very personal with his negative character assassinating of Steven and fucking repeats it over and over and over and over(although to be fair to him he seems to have stopped now). I see what he says/said as crossing the line and kicking a guy when he's down. Taking cheap shots at him. That doesn't sit well with me so I've argued with him in the past and mocked him a few times because of it. He hasn't given me the best impression, but again, so what? :shrugs: I don't hate him. I don't even know him. He's just some guy on the internet and if on a (very rare :lol:) occasion he says something worthwhile I 'Like' it and don't hold a grudge. I certainly don't turn around and say how everyone here is negative and that this forum deserves a bad reputation. That's bullshit. Most of the people here are sweethearts. So, why not practice what you preach and be more positive, focus on the good, instead of blowing things out of proportion?

Anyway, that's how I see things and I am the most miserable piece of shit you could ever find lol. So, if I can do it, everyone should be able to.

Very well said. I agree 100%

tenor.gif

:lol:

• Like 4

One reason for the criticism is that there is an abundance of people here who possess other acts they admire, individuals and bands who release albums/archival material, conduct interviews, possess decent websites/fan clubs, reunite (if applicable) in toto, etc. The admirers of these acts then ask themselves ''Why cannot Guns N' Roses do that?''. It begs belief how slight the fan experience is - it is almost unprecedented!

(This is only pertinent to Hudson and McKagan in fairness so much as they have agreed to it in Guns N' Roses as those two are extremely prolific and professional elsewhere: it is modus operandi of either Rose, the Brazilians or some combination of the two.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeJay410 said:

Looking at the treatment of this sirius show, I'm inclined to say folks are way too hard on them. Of course there are legitimate criticisms of Axl, Slash, aspects of performances, but they get ratcheted to a level where it is hard to tell if people even like the band. And that isn't a complaint about fan purity, but a complaint about egregious negativity.

And them have great reviews in the press

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I'd hire them:lol:

2 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I bet you would.... especially Hudson. :lol:

I wouldn't. I'd hire Axl, he ended up owning pretty much everything. Although the hourly rate would rack up if he approached it like the making of Chinese Democracy. :lol:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Padme said:

I know that. Still it wasn't 100% free. Those atteding paid for the subscription otherwise they were not allowed to get tickets

They did give out around 150 tickets free to fans outside who also got tshirts and other merch plus booze all free. Admittedly this wasn't advertised and they were probably tickets that were no shows from invited guests. Still cool for the lucky ones though.

46 minutes ago, Original said:

I'm just glad they are all alive and have reunited (Izzy/Steven aside).   Been fun to experience (again).   I always held out hope I'd see this again after the 25 year rift.  

Boom. This right here. This post tells it all. This is how the majority of fans outside these fan forums feel. An important post right there - This puts all into perspective and how minuscule and centered around fan forums the complains about the new tour/Axl really are...;) Have fun guys...and enjoy, you're living in a time no one ever thought they would see.....

Edited by Nostalgia^
  • Like 3

I don't think "we" are too hard on Guns, but "we" are running in circles, i've never been on an other band forum where there was a need for such a question or a thread like this...

Here is a Perfect sum up of complaints:

No new album or new music

No Izzy Stradlin

No Steven Adler

No real Appetite anniversary

Stale setlist, stale performances

Zero interviews or interaction between members

Nostalgia + Cashgrab = $$$

Bad singing with no rasp/Mickey voice

Frank's drumming

Melissa's uselessness 

...but REALLY in every single show thread:facepalm: that's boring and that's why it looks like we are too hard on Guns!

Some of these things above are facts, some are up to everybodys own opinion/taste !

We all know the facts, so why discussing them over and over and over again?

Edited by EricA
  • Like 2