Why watching MMA strips human dignity ?

oldnews

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We'll have to educate you on cricketing lingo. I'll throw forward some of my own favourites, the last two of which are Australianisms,

Cow corner

Silly point

Plum

Daisy cutter

Googly

Doosra

Salmon (trout)

Michelle (Pfeiffer)

Any questions?

You missed full toss :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

i've heard of a googly but the rest umm are they real or you taking the piss?:lol:

Real.

Cow corner is a field position between long leg and mid-wicket. It was called that because in the old days of rural amateur cricket you could have the cows there as nobody ever hit the ball in that direction (totally different now with twenty20 hitting).

Silly point, extremely close fielding position. Presumably it is called that as you have to be really silly to field there. They usually send in the new kids haha

Plum. Hitting the middle of middle stump, i.e., undoubtedly a wicket.

Daisy cutter, ball rolled down the grass and not bounced (banned after the Trevor Chappell incident).

Googly and doosra are the two spin bowling 'wrong uns' (as the aussies would say), balls that turn in the opposite direction from the bowlers stock delivery.

Salmon=Salmon Trout=Out=a batsman has lost his wicket and is out

Michelle=Michelle Pfeiffer=Five-for=five wickets for (x runs)=a bowler has taken five wickets.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Another good one is 'bunsen burner' or 'ragger', 'rag', all derived from 'raging turner', i.e. a wicket which turns a lot and facilitates spin bowling. 'Minefield' is also used for a similar sort of wicket.

There is also dibbly-dobbler or dibbly-dobbly. Anyone guess that without googling it?

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

doosra is urdu for 'the other' (not like that :lol: )  Or second.  The second option out of two or the opposite I suppose, which fits your description sort of.

Yes, or (does best Shane Warne accent) ''the wrong 'un''.

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Another good one is 'bunsen burner' or 'ragger', 'rag', all derived from 'raging turner', i.e. a wicket which turns a lot and facilitates spin bowling. 'Minefield' is also used for a similar sort of wicket.

There is also dibbly-dobbler or dibbly-dobbly. Anyone guess that without googling it?

Yes, or (does best Shane Warne accent) ''the wrong 'un''.

Is it a ball you bowl that bounces a lot of times?

(asked my brother :lol: )

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Is it a ball you bowl that bounces a lot of times?

(asked my brother :lol: )

Dibbly dobblers? No. A particular 'English' seamer who puts the seam up and puts it up there on a good length and the ball nibbles around through the English grassy conditions. Bit of a pejorative term honestly, often used for division two plodders who get unqualified wicket hauls.