"I see you sitting there/ You think you're so cool/ Oh, we might just have to go home early because of it/ All right!"

kinda funny/weird moment during "it's so easy" on the third izzy-less show of the illusion tour

(also the first ever "GNR" show at the Madison Square Garden in New York City)

during easy axl sings:

"I see you sitting there/ You think you're so cool/ Oh, we might just have to go home early because of it / All right"

was axl threatening to leave the stage?

or was it something else entirely?

i have watched the video and couldnt figure out what was going on

ps: according to GNROnTour.com (http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm91.htm) "easy" was played halfway on the set -- it was the 11th song -- on that particular night

also according to a Rolling Stone review available on GNROnTour.com, Axl was "throwing up backstage between songs" = http://www.gnrontour.com/sets1991/19911209reviews.html

More on http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm91.htm

12.09.91 -- Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
opening act: Soundgarden
set: Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Attitude, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, You Could Be Mine, So Fine, It's So Easy, Don't Cry [w/ Shannon Hoon], Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Sail Away Sweet Sister / Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Move To The City, Rocket Queen [w/ It Tastes Good, Don't It?], Piano Solo, November Rain, Welcome To The Jungle, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Estranged, Paradise City
audio/video recording?: audio, video [incomplete]
notes: GN'R's first ever show in Madison Square Garden. Special guest performance by Shannon Hoon. Axl goes off on the bad journalism on the East coast, specifically Bob Guccione and Spin Magazine. He also says that the people he pissed of in the song 'Get In The Ring' tried to have him shot in LA. Axl says that there's no need to play 'Get In The Ring' live, because, just like 'One In A Million,' his point has already been said on the record. Axl mentions that they will have to pay $24,000 in overtime fees for playing so long.

19911209photo01.jpg

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 4

Wow, great video and info, thanks for sharing that.  Wonder what the crowd thought when he sung that line.  No, let's not go home early.  Axl does look and sound a bit off, poor thing.  I have no idea how he managed a 3 hour set whilst ill and throwing up.  What a champ to power through.

And great review from RS.  I like this: "...Hurling his mic stand javelin style into the air, usually in close proximity to another Gunner..." I've always wondered how the heck none of them ever got hit with it, particular Slash, as he and Axl were always in 'close proximity' to one another on the stage back then.  I've seen a few near misses on different videos.  No chance of anyone being hit with the mic stand these days.

• Like 2

Maybe a reference to Izzy not moving around on stage as much as Axl tried to demand of him?  And the might have to go home part might be that in that moment Axl is feeling things are not going well with out Izzy, or with Gilby?

To me, it just sounds like he thought the crowd was lame. "You're just gonna sit there and judge like you're the cool kids? We don't have to be here then" kind of thing. He does actually say "I see you sittin' there". The MSG '91 shows were kind of weird, 2 shows later (also at MSG) Axl tries to walk off early saying "the way I feel tonight, this ain't no Paradise City" or something close to that. He ranted about the "judgemental cool kids at the back" at a few shows throughout the tour, if I remember correctly (I think Chicago '92? He was bitchy about it at the Vancouver '93 show for sure).

• Like 4

Was at both shows and I remember him talking shit about the press the first night and complaining about the review of the show during the second night.   Don't recall him saying anything about a lame crowd.    Just that the review of the show was bullshit

2 hours ago, briburge said:

Was at both shows and I remember him talking shit about the press the first night and complaining about the review of the show during the second night.   Don't recall him saying anything about a lame crowd.    Just that the review of the show was bullshit

Not the whole crowd, but a particular section of it. Maybe he was referring to people in a press box/seats?

Then again....

Quoting someone on the comment section:

The beginning drums were slow, gilby didn' t know how to play the damm song. Duff' s bass sounded like someone banging on a soda can. Axl sounded out of energy. It was god awful in my opinion.

I felt the same way when watching Tokyo 92. Although i must admit the Skin n Bones tour showed a better performing unit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Not the whole crowd, but a particular section of it. Maybe he was referring to people in a press box/seats?

Then again....

now that is a control freak at its worst! he wants to control how people react to a show? what the fuck

• Like 1

yeah apparently quite a few people in the audience were not really into it. just found a review on NY Times by Jon Pareles that says that "audience was oddly restrained (...) many people simply stood and watched as Mr. Rose raced around the stage"

The review has a brutal description of the tracy and roberta circus-era nonsense:

"The band has also added two backup singers and three horn players, all women dressed in black lingerie. It's a horn section valued primarily for its G-strings. The women pouted and posed like Motley Crue's backup singers; also like Motley Crue, Guns 'n' Roses had an electronic display to flash its name between the set and encores, like an "Applause" sign. And as usual, Mr. Rose stopped the show for his obligatory rant against the press. (...) Lest anyone misunderstand his role in current rock, during "Civil War" he was dressed in a jacket with the word "rebel" above a Confederate flag. (...) Partway through the set, Slash jokingly called the band "the No. 1 rock-and-roll cabaret act," but that's how its fans treated it.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2017 at 10:57 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Then again....

what does he think about the shows today, nowadays, 75% of the crowd is sitting there and doing nothing, 20% are standing there and taking pictures or filming it, and maybe 5% are actually having a good time

30 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

He even threatened to send Jon to the hospital.

really? if he used 10% of the energy he wasted on this nonsense to try and keep GNR together going instead of letting it fall apart one member at a time we would stilll have GNR today

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

The Izzy Stradlin rants from the UYI Tour are simply cringe worthy. Even Axl would facepalm if he had to hear those again. 

When Izzy returned briefly in '93 before DTJ Axl said "well nothing to bitch at today" and then said "This is Double Talking olive clutching Jive Motherfucker" 

Milton Keynes 93 @17.24 mins on youtube.

Axl always ranted about Izzy before DTJ....until then :lol:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janrichmond said:

When Izzy returned briefly in '93 before DTJ Axl said "well nothing to bitch at today" and then said "This is Double Talking olive clutching Jive Motherfucker" 

Milton Keynes 93 @17.24 mins on youtube.

Axl always ranted about Izzy before DTJ....until then :lol:

???