Does anyone besides me really like this version of SCOM?

I don't want this thread to be the butt of another fight about NuGuns, so let's just talk about the song. I think this version, while not as good as the original was very cool to hear after all those years. The transition during the solo symbolized the switch of Old Guns to the new band Axl was presenting and Finck's take on the solo was original, fresh and creative. Axl does some very good octave singing towards the end that I believe surpasses the original (on that one part) and I actually enjoyed the synth overdubs at the end. Anyone else actually like this song, or am I alone here?

• Like 3

I think it gets a lot of hate because Axl had been working on a album for 2 or 3 years at this point. So either just let them use the original or a live version of SCOM collect the money and move on OR put a new song on there (although what song from the CD sessions would be appropiate for that movie at all??). Instead he spent time taking the new band live recordings (im pretty sure this is "live on the floor" as a base) and then putting vocals over the top (and some other overdubs I assume) - I think if they'd actually gone and played some live shows and then polished up a live recording people would be happier with it.

I think thats the biggest issue - why do it? It makes no sense. Sure you have to split the money with Duff,Slash,Izzy & Steven but its for 0 work. Instead you take a week out to redo a song for the back end of a OST? And the original recording is fine quality wise - I understand people doing refreshes of old or poorly recorded material but SCOM is a classic, signiture song of the band - no one wants a different version of it. So much so covers are generally poorly recieved by other artists.

I guess it must be to do with contract stuff - didn't Ozzy do something similar with his first two solo records where they replaced the drums and bass on the re-releases.

I think that's the first time I've listened to this. Just sounds bland, like a bunch of session musicians playing the song, which I'm guessing it probably is as I don't know who played on it. Drums in particular are horrible and no feel - the live ones are just as bad. I assume the live part is from the Matt era, certainly doesn't sound like Adler. I just listened to it again, and can't find anything redeeming about it at all, even Axl's singing is no where near as good as the original in my view.

• Like 4

This version is a mix of a live version from the 1992 paris show, and the second half is the 99 studio version played by Axl, Robin finck and paul tobias on guitars, Tommy stinson on bass, Josh freese on drums, DIzzy and Chris pittman on keys and synths.

I think this studio version is part of the re-recordings that the new gnr did, They re-recorded all the AFD plus patience and you could be mine. Some of this re-recorded vocals was used on some parts of the live era.

What a mess!

It rather epitomises how mixed up Rose was at that time: (Big Daddy producers) ''could you hand a song in for the soundtrack? (Rose) ''I know what I'll do! I'll take a 1992 live recording with the original band and splice it together with a version by my new guys recorded this year''.

• Like 3

Its not my thing.  But I really like that it exists and that Axl does things that strike me as odd.  The nu guns part seems to intentionally be clunky in the chord changes which is kinda neat to hear but I still like original better

I can never get a straight answer about this version. I have this exact version without any crown noise, was given to me years ago. It's clearly a studio version. Then there's the version that begins this thread which is what I have with crown noise mixed in. For a long time I assumed it was a studio recording for live era. But I have been told that's not correct either. Whatever the case may be it is without a doubt a studio recording with crowd noise mixed into the background to appear to be live. 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Loved the studio performance at the end, makes you wonder what the rest of the re-recordings sounded like.

The whole thing is a studio recording.

26 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

I can never get a straight answer about this version. I have this exact version without any crown noise, was given to me years ago. It's clearly a studio version. Then there's the version that begins this thread which is what I have with crown noise mixed in. For a long time I assumed it was a studio recording for live era. But I have been told that's not correct either. Whatever the case may be it is without a doubt a studio recording with crowd noise mixed into the background to appear to be live. 

The whole thing is a studio recording.

Don't think I've heard this, so would appreciate if you could upload it.

Are you sure it's not just an edit to remove the crowd noise? As that's the version that appears in the movie and for someone to get their hands on a full unedited version is probably unlikely

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Don't think I've heard this, so would appreciate if you could upload it.

Are you sure it's not just an edit to remove the crowd noise? As that's the version that appears in the movie and for someone to get their hands on a full unedited version is probably unlikely

It's definitely not crowd noise removed. It's a studio version. There is no piegaro, piegaro at the beginning either. I will gladly upload it when I get back home, Sunday or Monday. I'd like to get a better idea of what it is. I've sent it to several people who are known among the forums to have unheard music that believed it to be the 1999 studio recording. But never have gotten 100% confirmation.