If Axl likes Slash and Duff's playing on CD songs...

As a CD era fan I don't like the idea of CD II being re done by them, but if Axl is satisfied with their playing on the stuff, and they have no problem with it, why not have Slash slap a few of his own solos/riffs on Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, ect. and release the fucking thing? People speculated on how much was finished, but in 2014 Axl confirmed that the "second half of Chinese" was completed. Is he seriously not going to release a single piece of music this decade? What is the delay?

• Like 4

I think ideally they want to compromise and do 4-6 songs from CD2, do a couple Slash songs, do a couple Duff songs and hopefully get together to write 4-6 original works between themselves. 

But really the hold up is Axl. He's had time over the last decade to get something done. The fact that there is nothing new out rest squarely on his shoulders. Having a new lineup, being with AC/DC is just more excuses. You can write music in between gigs.  

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think ideally they want to compromise and do 4-6 songs from CD2, do a couple Slash songs, do a couple Duff songs and hopefully get together to write 4-6 original works between themselves. 

But really the hold up is Axl. He's had time over the last decade to get something done. The fact that there is nothing new out rest squarely on his shoulders. Having a new lineup, being with AC/DC is just more excuses. You can write music in between gigs.  

Apparently Melissa composes and records before and after shows.  Wish Axl could too.  He seems to prefer to focus his attention on one thing at a time.  Kinda drives me bonkers!

There's been rumors of 2-3 more album's worth of material, so my dream scenario is something like this: Axl releases CD II untouched by Slash and Duff, then takes his vocals from his best remaining 12~ songs, and puts them onto Slash/Duff/4tus/etc instrumentals, releases a hybrid CD III album, and then at some point they put out an album written by the current band - a UYI III type of record. But realistically I think we're more likely to get 1 or 2 CD-era songs feat. Slash and Duff slapped onto a new Greatest Hits album...

• Like 2

I love CD so much. I dug the vision, the journey, and most importantly the songs.  I would kill to hear Axl, Slash, and Duff record together again, but not at CD 2's expense.

I know I'm in the minority, but it bums me out to think that songs Axl at one point may have deamed finished, may be added to or "enhanced" by Slash and Duff in an effort to make the new album a better reflection of the current players and more commercially viable.

There is no way if CD 2 was put out without any touches of Slash and Duff, with the current lineup touring, it would get a fair shake. I'd be afraid all the goodwill that Axl has built up over the last couple of years would be undone. 

People would give him so much shit that they wouldn't give the music a fair shake, and wouldn't have any respect for his artistic integrity. It's these reasons that would have me hedge a guess that if CD 2 ever comes out it will be a mix of Bucket, Bumble, and Slash. And I can hear it now with the people saying that only the Slash songs are good.

My best case dream scenario is possibly getting a new album from the current lineup, and then maybe a version of the untouched CD2 as something to tide the hardcore fan base over.

Edited by uzi your illusion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

As a CD era fan I don't like the idea of CD II being re done by them, but if Axl is satisfied with their playing on the stuff, and they have no problem with it, why not have Slash slap a few of his own solos/riffs on Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, ect. and release the fucking thing? People speculated on how much was finished, but in 2014 Axl confirmed that the "second half of Chinese" was completed. Is he seriously not going to release a single piece of music this decade? What is the delay?

i have no idea on how to answer you cause i have zero connection with axl or his associates

but if i had to guess id say that whatever songs axl recorded or wrote with the aliens that he has been PAYING MONEY to write songs with (and to tour with and to be his bandmates etc over the years) probably suck

just as much as the songs from his solo album

if there were good songs on axl's vault i suppose axl would have released them many, many, many years ago

hope i am wrong and he is sitting on a masterpiece but i really dont think so

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Because there is no more new music.

Are you calling Axl a liar?

Just now, ludurigan said:

i have no idea on how to answer you cause i have zero connection with axl or his associates

but if i had to guess id say that whatever songs axl recorded or wrote with the aliens that he has been PAYING MONEY to write songs with (and to tour with and to be his bandmates etc over the years) probably suck

just as much as the songs from his solo album

if there were good songs on axl's vault i suppose axl would have released them many, many, many years ago

hope i am wrong and he is sitting on a masterpiece but i really dont think so

Every song on CD destroyed the filler on the Illusions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

you can write music sitting on the toilet if you really want to

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

you can write music sitting on the toilet if you really want to

Exactly and likely be more inspirational than Stephenie Seymour. 

I mean if we take the songs written about Erin and compare them to the songs written about Stephenie then Erin is the most important recipe to GNR's success 

but my point is I would much rather CD2 see the light of day in the way of a free release. Something called "GNR Dark Era"  and then have an official Guns N Roses release like "Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 3" with all original material Bc at the end of the day I fear I'll be let down by CD2..technically I could be let down by anything but I feel like if I chose CD2 then I'd have to expect something similar to the original, and I'd just prefer they do something new with Slash and see what happens 

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Are you calling Axl a liar?

Maybe there is a reason why those songs were never released. 

If you're lucky, the band can polish two or three songs like Atlas, The General, Seven. Make them sound great and get them released. But Slash won't be working on the CDII album. You won't see Slash playing Silkworms basically. CDII and the remixes are doomed.

Just now, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Like half of them. It would be easier naming the tracks that aren't filler.

oh, ok, HALF THE ILLUSIONS ARE FILLERS! no bother listing them cause there are TOO MANY FILLERS ON ILLUSIONS!

had no idea about it!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

oh, ok, HALF THE ILLUSIONS ARE FILLERS! no bother listing them cause there are TOO MANY FILLERS ON ILLUSIONS!

had no idea about it!

I made it clear in the OP I'm a CD era fan. I only like about half of AFD actually, though I recognize most of it is great. As for UYI, stuff like Perfect Crime, Garden Of Eden and Shotgun Blues is bland garbage to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Exactly and likely be more inspirational than Stephenie Seymour. 

I mean if we take the songs written about Erin and compare them to the songs written about Stephenie then Erin is the most important recipe to GNR's success 

but my point is I would much rather CD2 see the light of day in the way of a free release. Something called "GNR Dark Era"  and then have an official Guns N Roses release like "Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 3" with all original material Bc at the end of the day I fear I'll be let down by CD2..technically I could be let down by anything but I feel like if I chose CD2 then I'd have to expect something similar to the original, and I'd just prefer they do something new with Slash and see what happens 

call it "Axl Boring Era"!

ps: man appetite has one song about erin (sweet child), right? of course sweet child o mine was (is) the biggest GNR song but appetite has 11 songs that are NOT about erin, right?

13 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Because:

1. The tour is raking in millions of dollars

That's really all the reason you need. This isn't about new music or even a modern band. It's about nostalgia.

If you want more reasons (1) Axl (2) Record company politics (3) Future tour incentive / leverage

Doubtful. Wild, unfounded speculation. 

I don't doubt that Axl would be open-minded to swapping out some songs in favor of others if he wanted. He did so on Chinese Democracy.

I do doubt him altering his vision for half of a record. 2-3 songs tops and that's IF they fit his vision.

This is all irrelevant because new music isn't on the way.

Soon is not the word.

What vision? CD had no story or vision to tell. It was out of sorts for that reason alone. Outside of the title track the record drifts off into a sad depression of Seymour Tracks and random stories. There is no theme to the record. 

maybe it's about learning from your mistakes which is why CD2 doesn't exist 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I made it clear in the OP I'm a CD era fan. I only like about half of AFD actually, though I recognize most of it is great. As for UYI, stuff like Perfect Crime, Garden Of Eden and Shotgun Blues is bland garbage to me.

Oh, shit, HALF OF APPETITE IS BORING! I am taking notes, keep talking, please dont stop!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

call it "Axl Boring Era"!

ps: man appetite has one song about erin (sweet child), right? of course sweet child o mine was (is) the biggest GNR song but appetite has 11 songs that are NOT about erin, right?

AFD does have one but I beleive NR, Estranged were about Erin. Don't Cry was about a random Izzy girl and Think about you from AFD was an Izzy penned song I think too. 

But just take SCOM, NR, and Estranged compared to TIL, TWAT, and IRS. 

Regardless without SCOM I don't know that GNR become the biggest band in the world...that song alone brought in millions of fans and mostly women 

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

What vision? CD had no story or vision to tell. It was out of sorts for that reason alone. Outside of the title track the record drifts off into a sad depression of Seymour Tracks and random stories. There is no theme to the record. 

maybe it's about learning from your mistakes which is why CD2 doesn't exist 

this talk about Axl "VISION" and about how "TALENTED" are the musicians axl chose (and paid) to play with are the funnniest things about Axl solo career!

5 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Oh, shit, HALF OF APPETITE IS BORING! I am taking notes, keep talking, please dont stop!

Better take some reading lessons, I never said half of Appetite was boring at all. In fact, I acknowledged most of it as great. I simply stated I don't enjoy half of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

AFD does have one but I beleive NR, Estranged were about Erin. Don't Cry was about a random Izzy girl and Think about you from AFD was an Izzy penned song I think too. 

But just take SCOM, NR, and Estranged compared to TIL, TWAT, and IRS. 

Regardless without SCOM I don't know that GNR become the biggest band in the world...that song alone brought in millions of fans and mostly women 

so IRS is about a girl/seymour? i never bothered to read the lyrics more than once and I dont remember much about them but i always thought it was about... the IRS!

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

this talk about Axl "VISION" and about how "TALENTED" are the musicians axl chose (and paid) to play with are the funnniest things about Axl solo career!

The best thing about CD was the instrumentals. Take the vocals off the tracks and you have a solid record, so I have a hard time blaming the musicians. They made a valiant  effort. 

Not sure why after Axl complained so much about doing "guitar" first songs that he did the same with CD. I guess he said he wanted the lyrics and melody to rise to the instrumentals but they were so far off it wasn't fair to the guys that were actually in the studio working on that album.