Axl vs. Freddie Mercury

I've noticed over the years that there a huge contingent of posters here who claim Freddie Mercury is the greatest lead singer of all time. I don't think so, he doesn't beat Axl Prime at all. Furthermore, I believe most of the people who say that don't truly believe it....so? Between only these two frontmen who do you think Reigns supreme?

edit- i tried to make this a poll but it didn't work.

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1

I prefer Axl, Freddie was never that interesting to me. I even find some Queen Songs quite annoying in comparison to the raw power of Guns n Roses.

I didn t follow Freddie that much because there was nothing about him that interested me much. His private life was not of any interest to me in comparison to Axls wild years when he was young and Freddie s Songs where not "my style". I often Change Radio Station when I hear Queen so my Preference is clear AXL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

I prefer Axl, Freddie was never that interesting to me. I even find some Queen Songs quite annoying in comparison to the raw power of Guns n Roses.

I didn t follow Freddie that much because there was nothing about him that interested me much. His private life was not of any interest to me in comparison to Axls wild years when he was young and Freddie s Songs where not "my style". I often Change Radio Station when I hear Queen so my Preference is clear AXL

The OP was talking about who is the better singer not what style you like better or whose life you like better.

Vocally speaking Axl cant hold a candle to Freddie.  Hell Axl isnt even a better singer than Chris Cornell. 

Not to mention Axl was always hit or miss live in his prime.  And Axl over the past 17 years has been miss after miss.  Axl hasnt been able to sing well in over 20 years no matter how delusional GNR fans want to claim he sounds like he did in his prime.

Axl may sound good here and there on a few songs but overall Axl cant sing anymore. He cant even keep in tune most of the time. All you have to do is listen to all the sound boards or in ear monitor mixes out there.  Axl sounds terrible.  

Edited by gnfnr2k

The OP first  says singer but then it says frontman. Those aren't necessarily the same thing.  As a singer it would have to be Freddie, Axl can't come close to what he was able to do. As a frontman, probably still Freddie but it's not as clear cut. Axl was a pretty great frontman in his prime.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

The OP first  says singer but then it says frontman. Those aren't necessarily the same thing.  As a singer it would have to be Freddie, Axl can't come close to what he was able to do. As a frontman, probably still Freddie but it's not as clear cut. Axl was a pretty great frontman in his prime.

I think this is a good point, the term FRONTMAN is reserved for a very special few imo. Even when written about both of these guys would 9 times out of 10 be called frontmen when alot of em (even great ones like Cornell) would just be called a bands "vocalist" or "singer" 9 times out 10 if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Axl Rose Responds to List Calling Him "World's Greatest Singer"

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70’s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!

Peace!

Axl