Axl vs. Freddie Mercury

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

But we're talking about their voice... Not who has the most interesting private life.

Yeah, and regarding his voice I wrote that I often Change Radio staten when I hear Queen Songs, so I dont find his voice better than Axl s.....

It's a hard one, but I've always said Freddie will forever be the greatest vocalist, frontman etc. of all time. He was incredible, he had everything that lead singers only dream of. An unbelievable range, the ability to control stadium crowds long before playing stadiums was the norm for a rock concert, the man was just a champion.

However, I don't think there is anyone out there currently that is better than Axl. I've always thought of him as number two in that regard, but you need to give the man some credit the way he has been performing this last year. I don't think many other vocalists would be able to take on the task of singing for AC/DC, especially being 54 at the time. Freddie's last tour was at 39 years old, obviously he had a horrible disease that prevented him being able to do a live show, but we never got to see how time effected his voice. I've tried arguing the point that Axl deserves to be regarded as the greatest due to the shows he's put on the last 15 years, but I think it's the lack of material he has released that lets him down. Queen released 15 albums in a shorter time frame since the releases of the Illusion albums til now, that's incredible. 

Freddie Mercury

Axl Rose

Then everyone else some distance below them.

An honorable mention to Glen Daly.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Oh I forgot to ask, what makes you think people say Freddie but don't really mean it?  Why on earth would they do that?

Idk man. Why do people do all the shit they do. It just doesn't feel genuine to me personally. For example, I don't believe most posters here listen to a lot of the queen catalogue. 

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

It's a hard one, but I've always said Freddie will forever be the greatest vocalist, frontman etc. of all time. He was incredible, he had everything that lead singers only dream of. An unbelievable range, the ability to control stadium crowds long before playing stadiums was the norm for a rock concert, the man was just a champion.

However, I don't think there is anyone out there currently that is better than Axl. I've always thought of him as number two in that regard, but you need to give the man some credit the way he has been performing this last year. I don't think many other vocalists would be able to take on the task of singing for AC/DC, especially being 54 at the time. Freddie's last tour was at 39 years old, obviously he had a horrible disease that prevented him being able to do a live show, but we never got to see how time effected his voice. I've tried arguing the point that Axl deserves to be regarded as the greatest due to the shows he's put on the last 15 years, but I think it's the lack of material he has released that lets him down. Queen released 15 albums in a shorter time frame since the releases of the Illusion albums til now, that's incredible. 

Freddie Mercury

Axl Rose

Then everyone else some distance below them.

An honorable mention to Glen Daly.

Thanks for taking the time to give a balanced and thoughtful comment. 

• Like 1

Destructive, intimidating, and volatile, Axl Rose was the complete package: the pretty boy with a temper that added an extra dash of edginess to Guns N’ Roses. Switching between rhythmic screams and high-pitched singing, Rose’s vocals always offered an intensity that felt like a punch to the gut. But even more intense was his stage presence, ready to pick a fight at all times. We all know of that 1991 performance at the Riverport Amphitheater, where the frontman fought a fan over a video camera, and then left the stage. A riot began shortly after, resulting in over $200,000 in damages. He also started to show up at performances hours late, which often resulted in more riots. Axl was a diva, a ticking time bomb that might or might not give you what you came for. He did things on his own terms – for better or worse.

Axl Rose is a super frontman IMO, he does have something of the X-factor in his prime, and I'd argue it was around in 06-07 and also has recently come back during this reunion tour.

However, IMO Axl has never had this sort of moment:

Liver performance in front of a television audience of roughly 1.9 billion people and he truly nailed it. In fact I'd argue 3:20 to 3:40 may be THE most legendary rock moment of all time and to control an audience that is not even a classic Queen audience and to have them respond to you like that is something special.

Axl did have the Knocking on Heavens door at Freddie's tribute, but IMO that performance from Freddie there is a league even above Axl's great performance back in 92.

• Like 1

Definitely Axl in his prime. Freddie's high tones that he used so much were awful, at least for me. And generally I feel much more power in young Axl's voice while he's singing than Freddie's. Also Axl's voice was more versatile. Nobody, Freddie included, could change his voice so much within one song, within several verses even. Axl's singing also carried much more emotion.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, koldweather said:

Axl Rose is a super frontman IMO, he does have something of the X-factor in his prime, and I'd argue it was around in 06-07 and also has recently come back during this reunion tour.

However, IMO Axl has never had this sort of moment:

Liver performance in front of a television audience of roughly 1.9 billion people and he truly nailed it. In fact I'd argue 3:20 to 3:40 may be THE most legendary rock moment of all time and to control an audience that is not even a classic Queen audience and to have them respond to you like that is something special.

Axl did have the Knocking on Heavens door at Freddie's tribute, but IMO that performance from Freddie there is a league even above Axl's great performance back in 92.

Well to be fair he's probably singing to a shitload of football fans there, get a few beers in em and they'll sing and clap at whatevers in front of them :lol:

Definitely Freddie in the vocal department. His voice was ridiculous! As is Axl's but Axl has a more unique voice in that it's hated and loved. It's not very traditional where as everyone can appreciate Freddie's. 

Axl as a frontman though is crazy good. 87-89 particularly, I'm not sure if anyone else came into their own quite like Axl did to kick off their careers. Looking at Axl in that time performing with Tom Petty and Mick Jagger, Axl puts himself on another planet. 

53 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Definitely Freddie in the vocal department. His voice was ridiculous! As is Axl's but Axl has a more unique voice in that it's hated and loved. It's not very traditional where as everyone can appreciate Freddie's. 

Axl as a frontman though is crazy good. 87-89 particularly, I'm not sure if anyone else came into their own quite like Axl did to kick off their careers. Looking at Axl in that time performing with Tom Petty and Mick Jagger, Axl puts himself on another planet. 

Axl was sort of like something from another planet. As a certified old bastard who remembers when Guns first came out, I can tell you it was really Axl that made them stand out. At least to me when I first heard and saw them in the WTTJ video in the summer of '87, which I saw in a club btw as of course it wasn't on MTV yet.

The rest of the band, as great as they were they didn't really sound all that different than things that had come before. But with Axl it was like where the fuck did this guy come from? It wasn't so much his look but more his overall presence and his intensity. And then when I got the record it was like, what is this here....is this two , three different guys singing?  If that one guy sang the first song then who sang ISE and Mr Brownstone? What is going on here..etc, and then it got to SCOM and ...what he can sing nice too?  It was amazing.

Edited by bigpoop
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Axl was sort of like something from another planet. As a certified old bastard who remembers when Guns first came out, I can tell you it was really Axl that made them stand out. At least to me when I first heard and saw them in the WTTJ video in the summer of '87, which I saw in a club btw as of course it wasn't on MTV yet.

The rest of the band, as great as they were they didn't really sound all that different than things that had come before. But with Axl it was like where the fuck did this guy come from? It wasn't so much his look but more his overall presence and his intensity. And then when I got the record it was like, what is this here....is this two , three different guys singing?  If that one guy sang the first song then who sang ISE and Mr Brownstone? What is going on here..etc, and then it got to SCOM and ...what he can sing nice too?  It was amazing.

Yea, sad all that magic was covered with stories of his craziness. But Axl is definitely the stand out. What he does vocally and as a frontman made that band. 

Just wish it lasted longer. 

Freddie is definitely a better singer but Axl is a better front man and I prefer his voice better..  And Axl 1986-1989 or so cannot be touched.. Never got into Queen., I think the only song I don't skip is "Another One Bites the Dust"...

• Like 1

Come on...of course it's Freddie. Dude had even a great voice when he was sick. Dude was the brain of Queen. Roger and Brian lost creativity without Freddie. Freddie played a diva on stage, but was shy and cool in person. 

Axl reached him musically only in his prime. As a person... never.